Integration With Fairlight Crystal Core

laughingbear

Dear Magix Team,

I am certain you saw the Fairlight news on the last AES.

Fairlight introduces new FPGA-powered Crystal Core CC-1 multimedia-engine-on-a-chip at AES 2006: promises quantum advances in performance, immediately obsoletes DSP

Fairlight Crystal Core CC-1 enables two hundred plus channels of audio recording, editing, mixing, I/O and plug-ins, with extremely low latency and full processing capability on every channel; Dynamic Resolution Optimization (DRO) feature supports concurrent floating and fixed-point manipulations.

Older DSP-based systems perform all processes at a single resolution even if some processes would sound better with more resolution, or just as good with less. In Fairlight's Crystal Core system, each process is tailored exactly to its needs. With DRO EQ processing can be performed at 72-bit floating-point precision, whilst at the same time Mixing is performed with 36-bit floating point precision and metering functions at 16-bit fixed-point resolution.

The first audio production products based on the Crystal Core engine will be capable of delivering 230 channel paths; each with eight bands of EQ, 3 stage dynamics processing, floating insert point with return, on board Pyxis HD video, 12 auxiliary sends and up-to 72 user definable mix busses: all this from a single CC-1 card!

I would think thats there is a huge opportunity for Magix to take advantage and integrate with the CC1.

Any chance you could comment on this?

hi,

if this card has its own working asio-driver and not only running with fairlight software (this doesn't depend on magix), you can use it in your DAW with samplitude/sequoia.

this, so far, i can say.

cheers, andy

hi andy,

how was the "Tonmeistertagung"? <beat me with a broomstick on correct spelling>

do you think this cc1 could make an impact bigger than rme's madi?

AFAIK, this engine does not support native architectures. It will work for Fairlight systems, nothing else.

Given the usual Fairlight price tag, the biggest impact will be on your purse. I see no intersection with any native DAW, technologically,

Cheers,

Sebastian

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK, this engine does not support native architectures. It will work for Fairlight systems, nothing else.

Given the usual Fairlight price tag, the biggest impact will be on your purse. I see no intersection with any native DAW, technologically,

Cheers,

Sebastian

$19,000 for the card, dedicated minimum I/O interface, and control surface.

I don't know if it's kosher to quote from another forum but this is from gearslutz.com, and as you can see... straight from the horse's mouth! B)

Quote:

G'day ...

Joe Hammer here from Fairlight,

Been travelling alot over the last 2 months as we have been hitting

quite a few major trade shows worldwide ... and of course, promoting the

launch of DREAM II and Crystal Core technology. AES -SF, SATIS in France,

Tonmeister in Germany, Interbee in Japan ... etc.

Though now, as I am back in Sydney - that I would make myself available here

for ya ... to try and answer questions if I can.

Thanks 1st of all for your interest.

Androne ... 1 Crystal card in it's basic form has 1 MADI I/O port. Therefore it can connect to any MADI based device ... If I add on what we call the CMI ( Crystal MADI interface ) piggy back card, this will give you an additional 3 MADI I/O ports.

4 in all ... Therefore, it supports up to 4 x 56 channel MADI I/Os - thats 224 physical inputs and out puts.

Some examples:

Hook it up straight to that nice big console - Neve, Euphonix, Studer, Yamaha, Otari, Lawo, Digico ( Soundtracks ), Sony ... etc.

or use interfaces like:

- RME - The Hammerfall DSP MADI is RME's inexpensive PCI card ( MAC or PC ) with a MADI interface.

- SSL - with the XLogic Delta Link MADI HD which is a professional MADI Converter for Studio, Live and Broadcast Applications. Delta Link MADI HD facilitates direct interconnectivity between Digidesign ProTools|HD® systems and MADI enabled audio equipment.

Using a MADI interface, you can get Nuendo, Logic or PT on a Mac to play directly into a Dream II system without having to go through analog converters. You can get twice the number of physical tracks up and chirping at a fraction of the cost. So we are somewhat "open" to others.

Software developers/ 3rd Party

All of this is an open door for others ... They are invited

Aussie hospitality ...

1) FairlightAU will offer and supply CC-1 engine technology as a drop-in OEM replacement for audio processing engines for third-party products, or as an acceleration platform for host-based systems. The intention is for third-party products to preserve their unique character and features, but improve performance and/or cost efficiency using the new engine for basic number-crunching.

Interfacing to CC-1 is achieved with little pain using a Software Development Kit (SDK) that provides a real-time command interface to the engine, worked examples of code, and extensive technical support from Fairlight engineering. Details can be obtained from FairlightAU.

For manufacturers of products not needing the full power of CC-1, a sliding scale of license fees can be applied to ensure cost effectiveness at any size of system. Licenses can be upgraded in the field via software download if further performance is required.

2) Third party manufacturers can develop code to run on Fairlight’s CC-1 processor board in a number of ways, and at a number of levels. An exciting avenue for plug-in development is FairlightAU’s microcode engine. This is a ready-made calculation engine consisting of adders, multipliers and registers that can be programmed at a high level to implement key signal processing algorithms, without the need to first “fit” them into DSP architecture. FairlightAU provides the interface to route audio streams to the engine inputs and outputs, as well as a high-level programming environment used to implement algorithms at a schematic level, with worked examples and technical support.

The development environment for plug-ins is enhanced by the emulation libraries available for FPGAs, which enable insertion of specific hardware device emulators, including popular DSP chips, into the gate array fabric, ready to run existing applications.

In this case FairlightAU provides an interface whereby audio streams are routed to the plug-in inputs and outputs, as well as a mechanism for instantiating the third-party DSP algorithms.

FYI ... We already have signed and are in the process of finishing up quite a few strategic partnerships already for both these forementioned scenarios. We are grouping these all together and will put out a press release for the end of the year ... Stay tuned.

One last thing ... I've been a hard core Fairlight user for a long time now ( nobody's perfect ) Here's what I personally get off on using Dream II - i.e. Constellation XT:

Having audio present on EVERY track simultaneously (no gaps). Hit every channel/track with 8 Bands of EQ on and then add up to 3 stages of Dynamics on EVERY track. Insert another Plug as needed ... From these tracks, make a Stereo submix, two LCRS submixes and say five 5.1 submixes. In addition make my main mix to 7.1. Now .... easily switch between all of the above mixes into my monitoring speakers.

Use the 12 multi-channel Auxiliary sends to send some of the tracks out to my favourite out board reverbs, analog compresors and vintage tube EQs. Return all of these to the desk and easily assign them all to the busses I created earlier.

Now - monitor the summed output of all of these auxilliaries. and all the aforementioned busses with SOLO AFL, PFL and SIP for every signal path that I have created without un-plugging any cables. Streamline ...

Obviously there's a bit of cost involved ... but not as much as one would think for this type of horsepower.

Anyway ... get back to me if I can help with any questions,

All the best

Uncle Joe / Fairlight AU

Unquote

Hello Samdev, Let's do it!!! :(

Hey, again: Where is the dammn intersection? I mean, only that the thing has MADI is not an integration case? That's trivial. Pure AES-10 streaming and has nothing to do with a software function. As long as they don't issue a VST or DX interface, there is IMO nothing to integrate. And there is no single word about that.

That's all marekting garble. Fair enough, but it is foggy, muddy blabla. There is no lack in processing power for DAW users. At least none that needs to made up by external FPGAs over MADI. Buy any Digital Mixing Console, and you have the same. No USP. He could as well issue an sdk that transfers money to his bank account. I may sound rough, but I'll stay with this until Fairlight has finally taken the time after all that travelling to issue an expalantion of the real benefit.

If I may vote: no single developer second for this. No added value for anybody.

Cheers,

Sebastian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Fairlight,

long time no see, it would be great to see you as a major player in the ring of the more affordable hardware.

If the CC-1 is as good as it seems, your on to a winner. Can`t wait to see which platforms will be supported.

I`m a Pro Tools Man myself but having 1 single PCIe Card with the power of 8 Accel Cards sounds pretty good to me. I´m very curios about your next announcements.

regards from Germany

Michael