File Management/cleanup

dwall

I've looked into this at the forums before but haven't found a useable solution.

Is there a way to delete unused files from the project folder? For example, I imported a wav file into the folder and project to use as a reference. Once I was done with it I deleted it from the project. Then I ran the "Remove Unused Samples" from the Tool menu, but aftwards it was still in the project folder. I also get the sense that all the unused takes aren't being deleted either (I keep the setting for "create separate files of each take") because when I run the "Remove Unused Samples" tool the project folder size doesn't change.

Anyway, any advice would be nice. In Cubase there's an audio pool that you can use to manage all the audio files in your project folder. This includes a trash bin which you can empty when your ready. Unused takes go there, for example. It's really easy to keep the folder under control. Is there anything like that for Samp 9?

Thanks,

-Dan

What are people doing for file cleanup? I can't imagine just leaving several gig's of unused data for every project. The only thing I know to do at this point is to name everything really carefully and go in and manually delete whatever files aren't being used.

Why not have some option for getting rid of unused files in the Manager's file browser or object window? Whatever objects aren't being used could be designated, perhaps with a check box system, and it'd be nice to be able to move those to a trash bin that could be emptied at the user's discretion.

Speaking of naming files, is there a way to default the name of newly recorded objects to correspond to the name of the track? Also, is it possible to have the actual .wav files use the same name as the objects they represent?

hi,

What are people doing for file cleanup? I can't imagine just leaving several gig's of unused data for every project. The only thing I know to do at this point is to name everything really carefully and go in and manually delete whatever files aren't being used.

the Remove unused Samples dialog is useful. Very simple, but take care, it seems there're some problems...

have a look here

You can do a Save Complete Project As ... too. It will save all your project to another location, but you can choose to save only used samples. No risk, as you still have the original project.

And, you can let open the vip in background, then go to Windows explorer and delete some unwanted files. If you try to delete a used file in the vip, Win says No !

Speaking of naming files, is there a way to default the name of newly recorded objects to correspond to the name of the track? Also, is it possible to have the actual .wav files use the same name as the objects they represent?

before rec, you can name your tracks, then you can choose the way you want name the associated .wav files in the All Tracks dialog. One important tip to know : when you arrive at the last track to name, click on the All Tracks dialog and choose, then you MUST return to the previous track, and click again on the All tracks button. If not, the last track will be named, but not the .wav ...

hope I'm clear ... :D

cheers

Phil

Thanks for the thorough response to my question. I'll try the "Save Project As" and see how that works. I still think it'd be easier to have some kind of option in the file manager for cleaning up unused files, preferably with a trash bin or partition so you can wait till you're sure before deleting.

By the way, I've tried opening the VIP and deleting the files that are unused. The only way to do that that I know of is to go one by one, because if you select all the files and hit delete, the first time it gets to a file it can't delete it will say "cannot delet x.wav because it's in use by another program" and it halts the process entirely. Anyway, that seems very time consuming, but I suppose it's better than having unneeded files.

Thanks!

-Dan

"Save Project As" appears to just do what "Remove Unused Samples" does, which I don't really want to do. I just want to delete files that are in the project folder that aren't being used in the song. I don't see any other way to do that except to go one by one and try to delete all the files while the project is open (selecting all and hitting delete won't work in Windows, unless someone knows of an option I can [un]check).

You can use the 'Save complete VIP in...' command.

That is what Phil referred to in his post and it gives

you the option to save only samples that are used

in the project.

Regards,

Tobben

I understand that, but what I'm saying is that when I try the "Save complete VIP" option, and when I select for it to only take used samples along, a warning comes up explaining that this selection performs the same function as "Remove Unused Samples". In other words, an existing file that is being used in the project will be truncated if I am only using half of it. That's not at all what I want to do. For example, if I am using different parts of two different takes, I like being able to access the currently unused segments later. I do not wish for any files within the project to be truncated. What I want to do is to remove entirely unused files out of the project folder. This is quite different than removing unused samples from within the project. I have performed the "Remove Unused Samples" function and seen that wav files that are not even in the project are still residing in the project folder. Files that I have deleted, for example, or takes I did not keep.

Do you see what I mean? I would be very happy if Samp offered a file manager that indicated whether or not a wav file in the project folder was even being used in the project, and if not you can delete it. I'm experimenting with work-arounds, but they are all tedious and involve opening and closing Samp. Cubase has an excellent audio pool manager that even has its own trash bin, and you can easily tell which files are not being used in the actual project. You can remove unused wav files all at once, not just unused samples from with the project.

I hope I've made it clear this time. I keep typing the same thing and keep getting the same response, explaining how to do something I'm not interested in doing.

I love Samp overall, though, and wouldn't go back to Cubase at this point.

Thanks,

-Dan

humm... the function you search is not invented yet ... :D

How could Sam make a difference between an unused sample [you want to keep] and another unused sample [you don't you to keep] ...?

:P

First, are you sure you record takes in individuals files ? check this option, (right click on the record button) and this will give you more easiness to choose between unused samples and unused samples .. . :D:D

Then, when doing a RUS, you will tick only the takes with ANY samples used, and you will keep takes with SOME samples used. It is the more near way for what you need, if I understand correctly.

cheers

Phil

What I want to do is to remove entirely unused files out of the project folder. This is quite different than removing unused samples from within the project.

Ok, in that case I'd use 'Save projects as' to another folder.

(You should get a warning about files outside the project folder)

Next, copy or move the used files with the 'Collect project files'

option in the Tools menu to separate them from the original

project folder.

Regards,

Tobben

• 4 weeks later...