Why Is Looping Total Crap?

dr.funk

I dont get it, and maybe its me. But this is the issue...

I want to creat a 4 bar loop...Before I record anything.

so that when I do record, audio or midi, the bar goes back to 1 and loops! I dont want the damn bar to go past the loop end?

this is normal in even the cheapest of sequencers. I am pissed because my 2 copies of samplitude 9.01 and 8.31 dont do this and my partner got 8.31 just last week and is equally pissed about the same thing.

again..I want to.

1. make a 4 bar loop ( or loop points)

2. be able to play in the loop

3. record midi / audio in the loop

4. not have any damn thing go past the loop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have set markers, and I also have set loop to range or whatever...nope, nada....nothing.

sorry to be angry, but 2 days on this now. I though 9.01 would have a bug fix that is useful to me.

In 8.31 you need to have punch in/out markers and Punch and Loop enbled from the Transport . In V9 you should be able to just draw a range (without punch in/out markers ) and do loop recording providing you have Loop enabled on the transport . I your trying to record midi its best to create an empty object first Midi>New Midi Object >empty 4 bar as it seems to work better if your layering a midi part . Also make sure you have Overdub selected on the transport . Another tip is to use the Range Manager (click the Manger Button) then you can quickly save/recall ranges/loops . I think maybe the reason you are playing past the loop is because it's getting disabled - you can tell because the range goes lighter so try hitting Shift+Back "Recall last Range" and see if that helps

Regards

Kraznet

its so wierd....

To only record in the loop, I do have to have punch in/out, but then I dont get my precount. and I always have to make sure my range is set, unlike every other daw I have tried. :D

this really isnt a sequencer, its just a recorder. :D

9.01 seems to suffer from this as well.

my partner was laughing at how the recording would go past the marker / range / punch out..

loop on the transpport means nothing to me right now.

this is basic, this is integeral to modern production.

This product has potential. Lots of potential, but yes this is what we need.

drag your cursor, make this easy to do. the highlited erea will always stay lighted, screw ranges and shift + backspace....thats a afterthought to a bug.

and once highlighted, then EVERYTHING YOU DO correspons to the highlighted erea, unless YOU TELL IT to go outside the loop erea.

DUH.

I too, am bothered by this...

Why can't you just right click on an object and choose to loop it?

Steinberg apps do this... not to mention Sony products.

It's a small thing to ask for anda big part of what I do.

Can V9 do this... is there a Hotkey? Can I make one..

That's no Problem at all :D

Just create a keycommand for 'Range over selected Objects'

Nice greetings

Fred

Hi Dr Funk,

Maybe you need to look at the different mouse modes available in Samplitude. I think maybe you are using the Universal mouse mode at the moment . This is quite handy but can be a problem if you're not aware of how it works. In Universal mouse mode when you move the cursor to the upper half of the track it becomes Range Mode allowing you to mark a range of say four bars and you will see this is reflected in the Grid and Marker bar at the top allowing you to cycle over the selected range. The problem with Universal mouse mode is if you have selected a four bar cycle and then you click on the top half of an object it will disable that looped section which will cause the cursor to carry on and not loop which is the source of your frustration. The way to avoid this in Universal mouse mode is to make sure that when selecting an object you only do it in the bottom half of a track. This is when the cursor turns into Object Mode. Universal mouse mode is fine providing you remember these rules. If you don't your frustration will always continue because whenever you click in the upper half of the track the Range you have selected will be disabled.

I suggest in order to get round this problem is that you use Object mouse mode instead of a Universal mouse mode. In Object mouse mode it will allow you to draw a loop/range at the top along the Grid and Marker bar similar to the way Cubase works. When using this mode you'll find that no matter where you click on the arrangement that the looped section will not be disabled. So I suggest when you want to just do looped recording that you use Object mouse mode as default and hopefully your frustration will cease. The other alternative is to just get used to Universal mouse mode but make sure you don't click in the upper half of an object unless you want to mark a new range.

Regards

Kraznet

I too, am bothered by this...

Why can't you just right click on an object and choose to loop it?

Steinberg apps do this... not to mention Sony products.

It's a small thing to ask for anda big part of what I do.

Can V9 do this... is there a Hotkey? Can I make one..

That's no Problem at all :D

Just create a keycommand for 'Range over selected Objects'

Nice greetings

Fred

Thanx Fred

S

My patience over the weekend wore to thin to bother with a manual, especially when it was at home. :D

Kraznet, thank you for the reply, and thurough information. This should solve my loope recording issues.

again, thanks.

doc,