William

Short Skips Between Dvd-a Tracks

I am creating a 5.1 DVD-A of a work that lasts 50 minutes. It is in six continuous movements. (There are no pauses in the music between movements.)

I placed a chapter marker in my VIP for each movement. When I burn a DVD-A the chapter markers are included, but there is a short pause in the sound between the chapters. It does not sound like any music is missing, but rather that the DVD-A player takes a moment to buffer the new chapter, or something like that. Since the music should be continuous, this is a problem.

I am not sure what the source of the problem is. Is it something being done by the DVD-A burner included in Samplitude that commands the DVD-A player to pause for a moment? Is it an ideosyncracy of my DVD-A player that it takes a half a second or so to buffer each new DVD-A chapter? My DVD-A player does not pause between chapters on normal DVD-video.

How can I create chapter numbers in a DVD-A and not have pauses in the sound of a work that is continuous and should not have pauses?

Any suggestions are welcome.

William

I am creating a 5.1 DVD-A of a work that lasts 50 minutes. It is in six continuous movements. (There are no pauses in the music between movements.)

I placed a chapter marker in my VIP for each movement. When I burn a DVD-A the chapter markers are included, but there is a short pause in the sound between the chapters. It does not sound like any music is missing, but rather that the DVD-A player takes a moment to buffer the new chapter, or something like that. Since the music should be continuous, this is a problem.

I am not sure what the source of the problem is. Is it something being done by the DVD-A burner included in Samplitude that commands the DVD-A player to pause for a moment?

Yes: I have had exactly this problem in burning DVD-As with Samplitude (I came onboard with v.8). It has nothing to do with your burner, but is a feature of the way Samplitude cuts DVD-As.

Is it an ideosyncracy of my DVD-A player that it takes a half a second or so to buffer each new DVD-A chapter?

Yes, I think it is due to the DVD player searching for new graphics to display when the new track starts. But this must be a command that Samplitude encodes on the disc, because it doesnt happen with discs that I have burned with other programs (see below).

How can I create chapter numbers in a DVD-A and not have pauses in the sound of a work that is continuous and should not have pauses?

You can get around the problem by using the audio extensions to Movie Edit Pro (pay extra). I have done this, but I find using that program less than an ideal experience, particularly when that is all I need it for. Another program that I have used is Cirlina's DVD-Audio Solo . This is an excellent program, but it requires you to rename all your files. They have a demo version you can try. (There are also more expensive solutions, of course!)

I hope that Magix development will fix this problem asap and develop our ability to burn DVD-As. I hear that there is an increasing number of DVD players that can play them back, even though there is a lack of support for the format from the record companies.

:D:P:D david

Thanks for the info, David. I am using Samplitude 8.1. The “DVD-Audio Solo” software you link to in your post isn’t very good for me. I have to make a “rehearsal version” of my DVD-A disk a musician plays along with. To make cueing of each passage easy while practicing, I have close to 60 chapter numbers.

To create a chapter with DVD-Audio Solo you have to export each chapter as a separate set of six mono .wav files, and then rename them to the format used by the DVD-Audio Solo.

I would thus have to separately export 60 sections of the work and rename 360 files. And then hope that 60 chapters would run smoothly without inter-chapter gaps in the sound.

It would be so easy if the burner software that comes with Samplitude would create chapters without short gaps between them. It automatically uses the chapter markings inserted in the VIP and would be so efficient. Does the burner software in version 9 of Samplitude have the same problem with inter-chapter gaps in the sound?

Even if I set my DVD-A player to “audio only” there are still short gaps.

Given my need to have around 60 chapters, what burning software would be good to use with Samplitude? Which software could read Samplitude’s .wx file and not have inter-chapter gaps?

Is there an update to solve this problem, and if so, when will it be available?

William

Hi Wiliam,

in 8.1 there is however a known issue with that. 8.31 has definetly adressed this, even if (as tonuli) describes, some users have still issues. But you have a better chance that it works whereas in 8.1 it is broken for sure.

Cheers,

SG

in 8.1 there is however a known issue with that. 8.31 has definetly adressed this, even if (as tonuli) describes, some users have still issues. But you have a better chance that it works whereas in 8.1 it is broken for sure.

Actually, I will check, but I am pretty sure that I was using 8.31 when I first encountered the problem and I havent yet burned any with 9.01 (though I will shortly do so and will report).

Tonuli implies that the problem resides with certain DVD-A players, but in my case I have successfully burned "glitch-free" DVD-As with both Cirlinca's software and with the musically extended MEP10, though not with Samplitude. Playback was in all cases with the Denon DVD-2910 player.

david

Yes, I would like to upgrade to version 8.31 to see if this will fix the problem, but I cannot find the download anywhere on the Samplitude website. When I log into the support site a link to Download appears, but when I click it nothing appears.

Can someone give me the URLs I should follow to get to the 8.31 download?

Thanks,

William

Thanks for the quick answer Sebastion. I am able to log into the service center, but the download link doesn't work. There is a long pause and then a message that says the page cannot be displayed. I am sure I must be properly registered because my dongle (I mean Samplitude's) would not work if I hadn't successfully registered.

Do you have any advice for how to get the download page to work. I am anxious to move on with my project and need to see if version 8.31 can indeed create gapless inter-track playing of DVD-Audio.

Based on what David says I am worried it won't, but you seem to suggest 8.31 fixed the problem.

William

My log in problem was due to an outdated email address. I've downloaded 8.31 and will report back about gapless inter-track playing. Hope it works.

William