Multiple Takes In Se

Wolffman

Hello :D

I don't know if this topic has been covered already in this forum ?

as i'm a newcomer to the forum and new user of samplitude V8 se.

So, I recorded several takes on the same track ( guitar ) and deleted them after

each take till i got one i liked. I was later looking at the wave-editor and found

that all the takes I thought I deleted were actualy still there in one

big wav file.

Can anyone tell me how i can change between these takes or use bits of each take

to get a final track?

I see there is a take manager in sam 9 is there anything like this in V8 se as i

can't seem to find anything?

So, I recorded several takes on the same track ( guitar ) and deleted them after

each take till i got one i liked. I was later looking at the wave-editor and found

that all the takes I thought I deleted were actualy still there in one

big wav file.

Can anyone tell me how i can change between these takes or use bits of each take

to get a final track?

You can use object-based editing to select the takes you want. Or you can import the wavefile into Samplitude (make sure that there are no VIPs open at the time, or it doesnt work) and destructively shorten it until you have just what you want, saving this under a different name for safety.

In future, you would probably want to use the feature that records each take in a separate file. To turn this on go to the Record options panel, accessed by clicking on the little square at the top RH of the record button on the transport panel.

david

Hi david :D

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

So if i use the record each take in a seperate file option

does this mean i'll be able to quickly change takes form the track / object view, ( prefered ) like some kind

of take management system?

or do i still have to exchange the file from the project folder?

I hope i'm making sense.

Thanks again :P

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

So if i use the record each take in a seperate file option does this mean i'll be able to quickly change takes form the track / object view, ( prefered ) like some kind of take management system?

or do i still have to exchange the file from the project folder?

hi,

yes, you can quickly insert the wave-objects by "W" and if you don't like delete the object by "Del". because you are only handeling objects (references to the wave-source) your sources will not be altered if you don't do any destructive operations.

(the real take-management is only implemented in full versions.)

you don't have to move any file. in your VIP you manipulate references to your soundfiles. means if you cut or fade or re-arrange sam will compute these changes while playing the project back but not alter your source-files. only if you do destructive operations your sourcefile is altered.

sorry if i repeated my self much... :D

cheers, andy

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to record another take on a track, you do not have to delete what is already on it.

You can switch between takes with the Take Manager (select the last take and do Ctrl-Alt-Shift-T).

That thing is not easy to grasp ( I've been playing around with SE since it came out and still get lost regulary when tracking multimiced sources... I wonder why nobody has ever just stolen ProTools playlists or Digital Performers Takes... those apps nailed that aspect of tracking years ago) but works ok.