Setting Grid Spacing In Samplitude Classic

Stuart Allsop

This might seem like a really dumb question, but I cannot figure out how to set the grid spacing?

What I want to do is to set up the grid so it gives me a line every 280 milliseconds, which I want to use as a beat marker.

Or is there a better way of setting some kind of marker every XX milliseconds? (I'm trying to fix some timing errors in a mix.)

I've checked the manual and the on-line help for Samplitude Classic, but the method for doing this just is not very obvious!

A related question: How can I set markers each time I tap a key while a track is playing?

What I want to do is to set up the grid so it gives me a line every 280 milliseconds, which I want to use as a beat marker.

There's probably a smarter way than this, but here's one solution:

• Select 'View->Units of Measurement->Milliseconds'
  • Select 'Range->Range Editor'
  • Set the values: Range Start=0 and Range Length=280ms , and then click OK
  • Select 'View->Snap and Grid Setup'
  • Click the 'Get BPM from Sel. Range' button
  • In Snap/Grid section, Check 'Snap To', Select 'Grid/Bars' and set it to 1/4. Check 'Show grid' and set it to 'Milliseconds' display.
  • Click OK

Note that this changes the project BPM, but I'm guessing you already figured that. If you're working with musical timing (beats/bars) rather than milliseconds, everything becomes alot simpler.

A related question: How can I set markers each time I tap a key while a track is playing?

Set up a shortcut key bound to 'Range->Store Marker->Marker with Auto Number'. That should do the trick.

There's probably a smarter way than this ...

If you want to retain project BPM, and just want 280ms snapping, you can also select a 280ms range and then use the 'Snap to Range' setting in 'View->Snap and Grid Setup'. Note that this won't affect the visual grid though.

Thanks! That works just fine. As you say, there MUST be a smarter way of doing it.... It sure is convoluted to do it this way but at least it does work. A simple "set grid spacing" menu item would be an AWFUL lot easier, like most CAD and 3D animation programs have. Very simple, intuitive..... (Is there a "suggestions for future versions" forum on here somewhere?)

Anyway, thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

Thanks! That works just fine. As you say, there MUST be a smarter way of doing it.... It sure is convoluted to do it this way but at least it does work. A simple "set grid spacing" menu item would be an AWFUL lot easier, like most CAD and 3D animation programs have. Very simple, intuitive..... (Is there a "suggestions for future versions" forum on here somewhere?)

Anyway, thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

It should also be pointed out that if you set the project BPM & time signature the grid should lin up correctly.