How To Silence

Heather

Hi;

I just downloaded the demo of Samplitude 9 to see if I it is something I can work with. I have been using Audacity and it just isn't doing enough for me anymore. I have one question (for now anyway ;)

How can I silence a part of a track (not inserting a silence)?

Thanks!

Heather

hi,

I don't really know what you mean, but...

- you can split an object on your track and mute only a part of this object : say one object : object A, after split : object A1, A2 and A3, then select A2 and mute it.

- you can do same thing, but delete A2.

with these two actions, you've got : A1 = sound, A2 = silence, A3 = sound.

- you can automate the volume of the track, no need to split object.

hope this helps

Phil

How can I silence a part of a track (not inserting a silence)?

In samplitude - in the VIP/multitrack view, there is the notion of objects, not just a single audio file/stream. Hence the confusion, I believe.

To cut out a part of a track and silence the space in between, use the range (or universal) tool, select the range you wish to silence, press Backspace or Ctrl-x.

Note that this is for non-destructive editing in the multi-track (VIP) view though.

However, if you're asking how to simply silence a part of an audio file in the wave editor, simply select the range you wish to zero and select 'Offline Effects->Amplitude/Normalize->Set Zero'. I have a hunch that's what you were looking for.

Samplitude is alot bigger a world than Audacity, that's for sure, but learning it is well worth the effort.

Hope this helps. Cheers,