Sluggish Display

rdolmat

Hi folks.

I just downloaded the latest Sam 9 demo, and man...are the graphics REALLY SLOW! It's like some bad overlay VMware/virtual machine emulation of a completely different operating system.

Why is this? Every other program is perfectly fast (Sx, Pro Fools, Reason, Wavelab etc)

P4 3.0Ghz

1G Ram

Matrox P750 triple-head

If you press Y and then go to View Options you can set up 2 different Drawmodes . Then you can toggle between two ways in which to display the waveforms and various other things (use the Tab key ) If you have interleaved with spearate stereo and Comaparsonics selected re-draws do tend to be a bit sluggish true . Thats why I alternate (depending on the task) with Drawmode 2 with Envelope only checked then its speeds things up somewhat . You need to experiment what suits you best.

Compared to when I used Logic , redraws with the full monty enabled are slow in comparion . I don't know about other Hosts but there are plenty of ex users who will probably know about SX. PT etc. Maybe its because the sample accurate waveforms that take up more calculation time . Logic PC never had sample accurate waveform display to its not a good comparison . I've kind of got used to it now but i think on a dualcore machine things are improved somehwhat although I haven't any evidence to prove this although I read that the 2nd core deals with graphics so I would imagine that helps speed things up . Hmm well I would hope anyway :blink:

My settings:

Drawmode 1 - Waveform Display

Draw samples

Scale with Fades/Curves

Separate Stereo

Draw Envolope

Grey out muted objects/tracks

Interleaved

Waveform Colors -Comaparsonics

Drawmode 2 - Waveform Display

Draw Samples

Scale Fades with curves

Draw envolope

Envolope only

Waveform Colors- Default color settings

The rest of the setting are down to what you want to see displayed .

Regards

Kraznet

Well, have WL6 here. In spite that it does much less realtime Audio processing, its GFX is indeed much less performant than SequoiaV9 using the same machine. It can even introduce clicks and pops in spectral view (single stereo wave project!), what is unknown to me for Sequoiatude for 5 years.

Cheers,

S

Thanks.

I know about the 2 display methods, but that seems like an unnecessary work-around for such primary display issues. Video cards and computers these days are more than able to display simple dialog boxes etc.

This slow display also happens just when switching through the options in the pref setup dialog. The entire screen redraws with a flash. It happens with most Sam windows. But not on any other program I've ever used...

hmm....too bad...I can't work without the waveforms, but I can't work with them. I wonder what would happen when I have 34 audio tracks, the mixer window, spectrum display, and 3-4 plugin windows open at the same time?

:huh:

hi,

I've never had some difference with view mode in Sam ... waveform, not waveform, etc ...

hmm....too bad...I can't work without the waveforms, but I can't work with them. I wonder what would happen when I have 34 audio tracks, the mixer window, spectrum display, and 3-4 plugin windows open at the same time?

This is my config in mix mode, never had a problem.

In mastering mode, I've less tracks in the vip :blink: but all the displays open. No problem.

Have you seen this topic ?

Perhaps there's something to do with your Window config too ?

I've a Matrox P650, 2 Samsung LCD 20", never had a problem with Sam.

regards

Phil

I also find it hard to understand what point you are trying to make. Maybe you could explain more specifically what is bugging you.

Cheers,

S

No real point really... :blink:

Just that Sam 9's screen redraws are as slow as windows 3.1. If you have a 30 audio track project open and you scroll up or down, it's a broken/jumpy scroll, not smooth like other programs..

honestly, there are worse things that can happen in life! Like....Cubase 4

;)B):o:P

If you have a 30 audio track project open and you scroll up or down, it's a broken/jumpy scroll, not smooth like other programs..

Ah, here's the point. :blink:

That's indeed true. No doubt about that.

Now: FWIW, I don't care. (Never tried to do this in Wavelab. How?)

Well, as you said, there are worse things. I.E. gippy tummy....

Cheers,

S

I've been doing a few tests with this graphic redraw problem . It seems that no matter how I set the acceleration on the graphics card , performance is the same . Even disabling write combining doesn't seem to make any difference. One thing that does make a difference is whether I have the VIP stretched over my three monitors or just on the one . When it is stretched over three monitors and I open a large arrangement there is a noticeable sluggish redraw happening when scrolling up and down. This is not new for me it's just that I've got used to it. The redraw when using just one monitor is much faster. Also I can see what rdolmat means about the dialog boxes when you open one the whole screen seems to redraw behind it. I don't know much about graphics but it seems that Samplitude doesn't make any use of graphics card acceleration from what I can tell as I can disable acceleration altogether with no discernible difference. BTW I would like the screen redraws is to be more snappy but maybe it's related to the graphics card I'm using. I've noticed that rdolmat is using the same one.

Regards

Kraznet

Hi Kraz,

I think now I know what Radolmat basically means. Also the issue with the dialogue boxes is correct. Just let the Transport console dance over the VIP a little... compare that with Cubase and Nuendo.

That's really one part of Samplitude that could profit from fundamentl re-design one final day.

On the other hand: I said it already: We got used to it, it ain't in the way too much, and there are other programmes where GUI issues are much worse than in Samplitude. Wavelab for example.

Cheers,

S

That's really one part of Samplitude that could profit from fundamentl re-design one final day.

Agreed...

It's still an annoying thing for me, and while I've managed to live with it, I relly hope it will be taken care of soon...

Once the new engine will be completed, I hope to see a second revolution, a visual one! :blink:

Best,

Laurent.