Midi Thru On Se 8

Greg Sallee

I am using SE 8 to evaluate Samplitude for my studio, towards the goal of eventually purchasing Sam 9 if it works for me. So far I am very impressed.

On the MIDI side, I really like the "MIDI Thru" configurability - being able to filter for individual channels or not (omni), then redirect to an output channel within or across MIDI interfaces is cool. This works great as long as only one MIDI track has "MIDI Thru" enabled.

If more than one track on the same MIDI interface has "MIDI Thru" enabled, however, then the software seems to operate in omni mode transferring each input channel to both output channels regardless of the input filter settings. For example:

* Track one set to input from Fireface MIDI Channel 1 and output to Fireface MIDI Channel 1

* Track two set to input from Fireface MIDI Channel 2 and output to Fireface MIDI Channel 2

If only track one has "MIDI Thru" enabled,

* When MIDI is transmitted on Channel 1, track one sends MIDI through to Channel 1

* When MIDI is transmitted on Channel 2, track one ignores/filters the MIDI - no output

If only track two has "MIDI Thru" enabled,

* When MIDI is transmitted on Channel 2, track two sends MIDI through to Channel 2

* When MIDI is transmitted on Channel 1, track two ignores/filters the MIDI - no output

BUT if both tracks one and two have "MIDI Thru" enabled and MIDI is transmitted only on Channel 1, then suddenly the Channel 1 MIDI goes to BOTH Channel 1 and Channel 2. If all I wanted on Channel 1 was the Channel 1 input (which is why I set up the filter that way), that's a problem.

So Sam seems to be using the "MIDI Thru" flag to turn on/off the filters and outputs, but is routing all active filters defined on the same interface to each active output regardless of which track they're on. That means that any given track's MIDI behavior is affected by the settings on all the other tracks - which is limiting and seems like it would be very confusing.

Is this behavior by design? Have I set up something incorrectly? Has it been fixed in Sam 9?

Thanks much in advance for any help you can give me!