Snapping Loops

Mr Arkadin

OK, so we've discussed the lack of left and right locators to death and i'm just going to have to get used to Ranges. Can i get a range to snap to bars though - can i heck as like. i tried the help menu and yes there are some snap functions - only they're in a menu page i don't have - i assume the help is from Samp8 or something because all the snapshots look different to what i see, so so far i haven't found how to snap a range to bars.

Also if i have a range stiil on screen but loop off, when i play it stops at the end of the range. i don't really see any use to this function (maybe you can enlighten me) but i'd like to switch that function off for starters - why would i ever want a song to stop there?

Thank you for your patience, i really want to feel comfortable about this program before buying it as i will be giving lessons to my co-writer and looping is our most needed basic function.

Cheers for that, just checked it. i couldn't even find that menu before. i still don't like the way it stops after a the range - wish that was toggle-able. In Cubase i liked to loop, then leave that loop point but just disable loop and hear how it went into the next section. This way i have to clear the range before i play it, sort of backwards to what i want to do, as if i then want to loop it again i have to redraw the range.

i realise i can save ranges etc. but frankly i work on the fly and have very little time to remember to save things like loops points and remember what key i assigned them to etc. In every day use i cannot see that stopping function being of any use and in fact i know it will wind me up <_< Oh well, maybe if i ask Mr Samp nicely he'll put a toggle switch in to allow continuous playback.

I guess the only work-around I can see is that when you want to play past the loop to use the Shift +Right arrow I showed in the video to extend the range further . Probably not what your looking for but a kind of solution . It's never really bugged me but then again we all have different working methods .

Regards

Kraznet

It's never really bugged me but then again we all have different working methods .

Well i got used to Cubase's working methods so that's obviously where that stems from - you get used to the tools you have - if i'd started on Samp i would never know my way of working. It is funny recording a loop and then sitting back to hear it in context only for it to stop though <_<

I guess the way the looping works in Samplitude isn't quite standard. Even in Logic (which was my previous host) it works in a similar way to Cubase. The thing about Samplitude is as soon as you draw a loop/range in real time , playback immediately jumps to that position which can be a bit disconcerting . It tends to mess up the real-time aspect although I've adapted my methods but there have been a few complaints from Cubasers about these things. Some have been complaining that the loop area disables itself if you click anywhere as well . That's when I use the shift+back shortcut to re-enable the previous range.

Aren't you happy using Cubase?

Regards

Kraznet

Aren't you happy using Cubase?

Absolutely not. i loved VST32 v5.1 and if they'd carried on with that i would still be happy (this was on Mac). Since moving to PC i have tried SX3 but i don't like it - the way it handles VST instruments is riduculous (Samplitude does exactly what i wanted SX to do in this respect). i'm also in a position where i do not want to give that company any more money.

The forum here has already shown me that the developers are responsive (and they're actually here - rather than some knobhead trying to sell you Cubase 4). At this point i have to pay full price for whatever software i am going to use in future - this copy of SX isn't mine to sell/upgrade so whatever i buy next has to be IT. And it's definitely not going to be Cubase 4. Maybe i should track down an old copy of VST32 v5.1 (which as i recall was also promised a final version - 5.2 was just a beta though).