Issues When Doing Punch Ins/multiple Takes

tterral

Having some scary stuff ahppening in Samp when I do Punch In/Loop recording. Here is what is happening:

- doing muliple guitar solo takes over the same Range

- I do a few takes, save and then I adjusted the Range for the Loop (shortened)

- I do numerous additional takes and upon playback, using the Take Manager, I get the warning "New Take Is Shorter Than Object", click OK and the take usually comes up OK - at first

- after doing more takes and using the Take Manager, some of the takes in that recording run come up blank (2-3 of the total takes) while the others (8-10 of the total takes) come up OK

- when examining the takes that do not appear to show up (some of these takes are early ones that were a second or two longer due to the Range being shortened, but not all) if I extend the take out the wave form is still there. In fact these takes appear to be slivers, that when extended out have the appropriate wave form/object.

- another phenomenon that happens sometimes, is some takes show up showing 3 takes in succession in the same wave form/object, the first lines up correctly, time wise, but the other 1 or 2 takes after this take are out of time (obviously). Seems that these takes have not correctly identified for the individual takes and for some reason end up showing multiple takes. I believe the takes are all on one wave form and the VIP tells it which part of the wave form to use for each individual take. It seems that this happens on the same takes and does not move randomly around to different takes, at least as far as I can tell.

- Sometimes there is a discrepancy in the take numbering in the Take Manger. For example, it will show takes 50-58 in succession and then skip to 61-75. This may be related to the previous problem, but some takes that show up in succession (125, 126, 127) may have the 3 wave forms/obects/takes per take showing up.

- Then there is the thing that happens after one of the takes plays, there is this terrible pink/white noise that comes out of nowhere, that would certainly blow your speakers if thery were turned up very loud (very loud in the headphones). If I hit the stop button it stops, for the most part, but I may have to hit it several times. This noise is not just on the take track, it effects the entire project.

- after closing out of Samp and restarting it and opening the same project I get the dreaded " Object Entry Behind Physical Sample" warning. I posted about this problem a week ago, but at that time I was still using Samp 7 and 9 with out the updates (don't ask). I had hoped after installing the updates that would be the last I saw of that warning since I lost several projects last time. Fortunately this time it seems to be just one take that was lost and the rest of the project shows up. Any suggestions on saving what I have so that if this project or Samplitude becomes unstable I do not lose everything? I am guessing I could save everything in my Project's VIP folder with a different name: Song - 'A' . I have all my VIPs and audio files on a 2nd SATA hard drive from my OS and saved in a Song/Project folder with 2 subfolders, one for audio and one for VIPs.

To say this is distressing is an understatement. I am sure some of this is user/newbie error, but I wonder if it all is something I have done, especially the loud pink/white noise and OEBPS error. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't quite no where to start but try this...

In the advanced recording options, click on "record each taek in a seperate file". That will take care of some of your problems. Samplitude, by default, appends all new recording to the end of the audio file for that track.

The issue here is IMO that you have changed the punch length during the procedure.

That probably threw up the Take Manager.

OEBPS in this case seemed to be just a vain warning. I don't think that you have really lost something. At least I could not understand that you had. I am not surprised as you had overridden aontehr warning regarding this before.

I doubt that this has to do with the noise issue. No idea where that comes from. Maybe driver opening issues.

For the "Each take one file": Please everybody notice that if you do looped punches continously, all takes will be written to one single file (!) unless the recording is finished and restarted after each take. That has always been like that (still is in 9.02 I checked in the minute) in this specific case and this also sheds some light on what use this file handling option really has. IMO there is no profit and this example has once again shown that it doesn't help under all circumstances.

Cheers,

Sebastian

The issue here is IMO that you have changed the punch length during the procedure.

That probably threw up the Take Manager.

OEBPS in this case seemed to be just a vain warning. I don't think that you have really lost something. At least I could not understand that you had. I am not surprised as you had overridden aontehr warning regarding this before.

I doubt that this has to do with the noise issue. No idea where that comes from. Maybe driver opening issues.

For the "Each take one file": Please everybody notice that if you do looped punches continously, all takes will be written to one single file (!) unless the recording is finished and restarted after each take. That has always been like that (still is in 9.02 I checked in the minute) in this specific case and this also sheds some light on what use this file handling option really has. IMO there is no profit and this example has once again shown that it doesn't help under all circumstances.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Hey Sebastian,

Thanks for the reply, I thought it had something to do with changing the Range length, won't be doing that again. Still curious why some takes show up with 3 takes showing, one lined up correctly and the others apparently shown as how they appear on the single .wav file they reside on. I will check and see if the 2 at the end are the same as the next subsequent take number (see if Take 120 really shows Take 120, 121 and 122). One thing I did do was insert a new track, hit the object and Shift key (to maintain the vertical orientation of the Object) and pulled it into the new Track, leaving the "slivers" in the original track. I then expanded the slivers to the correct length to show the appropriate Take.

Thanks again.

Still curious why some takes show up with 3 takes showing, one lined up correctly and the others apparently shown as how they appear on the single .wav file they reside on.

This could have to do with length filters (see take Manager for all the options) and could be a side effect of the same reasons already pointed at. (Takes go to one file, timestamps are messed up because the lenght was changed.)

I must say that I wasn't yet able to fully reproduce your issue. Did you change the range during the playback was running, or in a pause?

/s

Still curious why some takes show up with 3 takes showing, one lined up correctly and the others apparently shown as how they appear on the single .wav file they reside on.

This could have to do with length filters (see take Manager for all the options) and could be a side effect of the same reasons already pointed at. (Takes go to one file, timestamps are messed up because the lenght was changed.)

I must say that I wasn't yet able to fully reproduce your issue. Did you change the range during the playback was running, or in a pause?

/s

I do not believe I changed the Range on Playback or Pause, only before doing another round of Takes in Loop/Punch In recording. Since I have not had much time to go back into the Project it will be interesting to see how much "manual labor" it is going to take to get the several odd Takes shaped up. As long as I did not lose anything (which I do not believe I did), I am fine with that. I am planning on looking at the Take Manager tonight to check the length filters (was not even aware of this feature).

Thanks