Opening Dual Mono Files On A Stereo Track?

Tornaghi

I receive dual mono files often and need to open them on a stereo track.

I could convert them to stereo interleaved but i don't want to do that (more time, work, space on the hard disk, and I end up working with a copy of the original file.)

I do need both chanels in the same track in order to insert stereo plug-ins on the audio as stereo objects, don't I? I don't want to use the mixer inserts.

In other words: I need to work on stereo objects and have dual mono files. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Tornaghi

I could convert them to stereo interleaved but i don't want to do that (more time, work, space on the hard disk, and I end up working with a copy of the original file.)

I do need both chanels in the same track in order to insert stereo plug-ins on the audio as stereo objects, don't I? I don't want to use the mixer inserts.

In other words: I need to work on stereo objects and have dual mono files. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Tornaghi

You'll almost certainly save time by creating stereo files. Just use File->Export Audio->Mono/Stereo Convert->2 Mono->Stereo Wave to create interleaved stereo files.

If you must retain the mono files as individual channels, the easiest way is to use two tracks and mix them into a bus.

Thanks

Tornaghi

You'll almost certainly save time by creating stereo files. Just use File->Export Audio->Mono/Stereo Convert->2 Mono->Stereo Wave to create interleaved stereo files.

If you must retain the mono files as individual channels, the easiest way is to use two tracks and mix them into a bus.

Yeah, routing them to a bus track works really well, and then you just treat the bus exactly as you would a single stereo track, at least in terms of effects. Obviously you would group the two mono tracks for editing.

Thanks

Tornaghi

Yeah, routing them to a bus track works really well, and then you just treat the bus exactly as you would a single stereo track, at least in terms of effects. Obviously you would group the two mono tracks for editing.

Hi,

I thanks a lot for your answers. These options really aren't what I'm looking for. I'm mastering so I use the plugins not on the mixer, but inserted on the "objects" (double click on the waveform). I want all my songs on the same track, each with it's independent processing.

Converting the files is an option (as I said on the firs post) I really would like to avoid.

Wavelab has a "open dual mono files as stereo" that works smooth. I was hooping Sam would have that possibility.

thanks again

Tornaghi

If you want object level processing, why not

- having two mono tracks, left and right panning

- grouping the corresponding left and right objects on the two tracks

- applying effects to each group

But yes, i know, depending on the effect, it's not the same thing to have two monos processings versus one stereo...

Just a suggestion.

Jean-Marie

that will probably work under almost all circumstances. The only issue I see is that you can't edit VST plugins in that way as the instantiation of VSTs doesn't really allow that.

On the other hand, the Object Based Editing in Sequoiatude is maybe that much advantageous over everything Sonic and Wavlab offer in that respect that the burden to convert a file once in the process is maybe not that grave.

Keep in mind that while the existence of these files is wide spread, it is basically coming from an old limitation in ProTools that has bugged me for many years. So, clash of limitations....

Cheers,

Sebastian