Sound On Sound

krizrox

I'm still asking newb type questions. What is the secret with recording audio over the top of existing audio. For example - let's say I record a guitar track and had to stop halfway through. Now I want to back up a bit and record from where I left off. But I need the existing track to play while I am playing the new part. I tried this the other day and as soon as I hit record the existing audio is muted. I looked for solutions in the book and tried chaning a few settings but nothing worked. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

For this kind of overdub, you have to use another track for recording the new take(s).

In-place (resp. in-object) overdub and still playing back already recorded waves is only possible with MIDI objects.

If you set a Punch In Marker, and activate "Mix input and playback" in the system options (Y), you can at least listen to your previous recorded guitar until actual recording starts (at the punch in marker position). But if you want to listen to the previous guitar while actually recording, another track is required.

Greetings,

Frank

Thanks - I had a feeling that was the method in Sam. I'm finding a lot of fundamental differences between Sam and Sonar that make for a steep crossgrade learning curve. I didn't expect this to be easy but I'm finding it hard to change gears. Well, thanks again!