What Is Wrong With The Codemeter?

dhassay

i received samplitude classic last week. I am trying it out using the sam for lease option. I cannot get it to work. The problem is with the great protection scheme called code meter. I have search about my problem in the registered forum and nothing helped me. since i am not registered yet i cant post in the other forum.

I decided to try it out on another computer and it worked great. what could be the difference between the two computers allowing it to work? I custom built both of them. So I decided maybe it was windows xp causing the problem so i decided to rebuild the whole thing. yep, i formatted and reloaded xp. turned the filewall in xp off. loaded samp classic and got the same crap. the webmin for the codemeter always says error 201 the codestick piece of crap isnt there. when i try to start samp it says prog needs cm stick 100058:65536 code 200 license not found.

would someone also please tell me how to register? this is samp classic as a sam for lease. i understand that i have to register with customer support. is there a form i can fax over? is so, how do i get to the form to print it out.

there is just no reason to have to go through all of this to get a program to work. I know computers quit well so what happens to the non-computer geek people? do i really need to call germany from the usa? someone please help me out before i return it and go to saw studio because this sure is one way to lose me as a customer.

Hello,

from what you describe, there is probably a hardware issue on one machine concering the USB bus. As you say you are familiar with computers, I suggest that you check the states in the Computer Administration / Hardware section over all USB devices attached and check if the power requirements are according to the USB specs on the whole bus.

Maybe this reveals the source of trouble.

If not, a call in Dresden, Germany might help indeed. The line is just a normal international call. It's not that expensive, certainly less that the domestic 0900 lines other software companies like Steinberg offer.

Cheers,

Sebastian

thanks for responding. i called support in germany and guess what- the voicemail was in german so i had no way of knowing what to do or what button to press. please tell me about the power requirements that you talked about. this is a gigabyte motherboard so hopefully it is up to spec. it is a faily new motherboard with the am2 socket. is there anything else that could cause this to not work on that computer?]

i also registerd on the official forum and i am still waiting for the email so i still cant post there. this sucks.

Hi Dhassy,

at first, you need to look up the usual things in the Computer Administration. This means examining the USB bus for device enumeration, device state, energy state and so on.

I don't think that the board brandname and the CPU socket format relates to the issue.

As an experienced Computer User, you are certainly familiar beyond operating "next, next, finished" wizzards, so it will certainly not be an issue. You have certainly also already checked if the device is properly enumerated in Windows Explorer.

As far as the Hotline-voicebox is conerned, you are already out of luck when you hear it. It is only on outside the operating hours, as a listen only message. That are 10-15 CET. There are no remote control options on usual european voice mails.

The registration to the forum works once your Dongle is activated. Maybe you opt to doing that on your other machine, and then at least this is set. I think however that the solution in this specific case is with Samplitude Support, that is by phone or by mail to proservice@magix.net.

Cheers,

Sebastian

maybe i dont know as much as i thought. i am just a network admin. please tell me what this is all about--

This means examining the USB bus for device enumeration, device state, energy state and so on.

thanks

maybe i dont know as much as i thought. i am just a network admin. please tell me what this is all about--

This means examining the USB bus for device enumeration, device state, energy state and so on.

thanks

First, look if you can see Codemeter as a drive in Explorer.

If you can, I would assume that you can see it as well in the Control Centre. If you can't check the state of Codemeter Service. You can start the Codemeter Service from the Control Centre.

The USB bus state you can check from Device Manager (I assume that you know this one). There, you select the USB Controller, and browse the sub trees for devices. Select the Codemeter Device and check for any messages in the relevant property tabs or dialogues.

If it doesn't show up there at all or it disappears periodically, in spite of the CM stick being properly attached, I bet that there is something wrong with the power supply of the USB bus. Such can be caused by many things, such as abundant devices, bad cables, short circuits, other defects.

The maximum current allowed on one root hub is 0,5A. You can check the current requirements of all active devices there and add them, checking if you come close to the limit. If the limit is exceeded, the bus will simply reset. That's USB.

Such states are often caused by attaching bus powered external 2,5" drives. They do most probably stretch the envelope, as the maximum power on the bus is only 2,5W wich is not very much for an HD. CodeMeter wants 200-300mA.

A remedy can be a powered hub or the removal of other USB devices.

I hope, this helps.

Cheers from Vienna,

Sebastian

thank you so much for trying to help. i will check on these things. in my troubleshooting i did unplug all usb devices (and they all otherwise work fine). the codemeter was the only thing plugged in. it was recognized in device manager ect. since it is the only thing plugged into usb i wouldnt think that i dont have enough power for usb. and since all other usb devices work i wouldnt think that there is a problem with the usb ports. it must be somthing with this computer (motherboard) since everything works fine on my other computers. i would hate to have to buy another MB. i will try to load usb device drivers again. not sure what else to do but get another MB.

thanks,

dan and cheers from the usa houston, texas to be exact. howdy partner

I T W O R K S !!!!!!!!

i went out and bought a pci usb card w/ 2 usb 2.0 ports on it. i disabled the usb ports on the motherboard using the bios. samplitude fired up the very first.

i am not thrilled about losing a pci slot and added another irq or two but it works. i am going to enable the other usb ports next and see if they will work. if everything is cool i might keep it this way or just get another motherboard that is recommended.

this has been a weird experience. i wonder if that gigabyte motherboard is just not compatible.

thanks for the help.

Good to hear.

I don't think that there is a compatibility issue with samp. This rather sounds like a compatibility issue with USB. Did you try a powered hub instead? I'd assume it does the same.

The fact that a PCI card solved the issue raises questions. Besides an item defect on your board, there could be a compatibility problem with the drivers. What chipset is on your board?

Cheers,

Sebastian