Renaming Asio Devices

krizrox

I was wondering something - this issue of renaming ASIO devices - or more specifically - the ASIO channels...

I have done this but in the Track Editor, it seems they still appear the old way (or the normal way). Is this by design? I admit I've always been a little confused about ASIO channels and their designations and why you have to have a special feature to rename them with friendly names.

Hit 'Y', or use the menu choice Options/ System/Audio. Under System Options, choose Audio Devices. Now you can rename the recording and playback channels by selecting a channel and hitting the Rename button. If there are channels that you never use, you'll probably want to disable them to reduce CPU load.

If you have many channels to rename, this can get tedious. Just rename one or two. Then close Samplitude and look in your Samplitude directory for a file named something like "Sam10_E_audio.ini". Open this file in an ASCII text editor and (carefully) modify the entries in the sections [AsioIn My Device] and [AsioOut My Device]. It's best to make a backup copy of the .ini file before changing it.

David L. Rick

Seventh String Recording

Thanks. I understand how to rename the devices. Primarily, my question is why the friendly names don't appear in the Track Editor for the output channels. I'm assuming it a bug or quirk but I just wanted to be sure. There may be more to this than I understand.

OK, I understand. The "friendly" names don't appear in the Routing Manager either, FWIW. In the past, I've suggested that they should pop up at tool tips.

David

yes, you're right... why renaming if them don't appear... :lol:

At least, they appear in the pop up when right click on the Rec button (for the In) and on the Mute button (for the Out), where it's the most important (choosing In and Out without the name is a pain !).

cheers

Phil