How To Burn A Cd At Slower Speeds?

rmalcolm

can anyone tell me why the slower burn CD speed options are grayed out. I am doing a project with two stereo tracks (basically mixing tracks from different CD) using Samp 10 and had an issue playing back the CD on one particular CD player so I decided I would try and burn it at 1x speed. I discovered that it was not possible. I am coming from years of using Samp 4 and am used to that option. Any suggestions?

as far as the playback issue, I haven't ruled out it could just be that CD player, but I was still wondering why I could not burn at slower speeds. This is a brand new computer designed just for audio editing and should have enough CPU to handle

but I was still wondering why I could not burn at slower speeds.

Because modern drives and CD are optimized for faster burning speed.

I have a Tascam standalone CD recorder burning at 1X. Some CD can't be used on it and only can be burnt at higher speed on my PC.

The only reason to burn at lower speed in Samp is that if there are a lot of tracks/objects/effets etc. the time to calculate that could interrupt the continuous stream necessary to burn the audio CD at the selected speed.

This is a brand new computer designed just for audio editing and should have enough CPU to handle

In which case, I cannot see why you would want or need to burn at x1 speed. (What type of burner do you have?) Unless it is an old one, it most likely will not actually work at all at x1. Some CD burners work more accurately at higher speeds, and some blanks will not burn properly at low speeds. I recommend that you run an experiment to discover how fast you can burn on your new computer. It is quite possible that the errors on your previous burn that have caused the CD not to play are actually due to burning too slowly!

david :):)

This is a brand new computer designed just for audio editing and should have enough CPU to handle

In which case, I cannot see why you would want or need to burn at x1 speed. (What type of burner do you have?) Unless it is an old one, it most likely will not actually work at all at x1. Some CD burners work more accurately at higher speeds, and some blanks will not burn properly at low speeds. I recommend that you run an experiment to discover how fast you can burn on your new computer. It is quite possible that the errors on your previous burn that have caused the CD not to play are actually due to burning too slowly!

david :):)

Thanks for your quick email> I had orriginally burned at the MAX speed (maybe 48X) and decided that since it did not work in this one player I would do what we used to do in the old days and try it at 1X. But as you say, it is probably not such a useful idea. We are a College AV department with lots of portable stand alone CD burners used for on location recording, so we are aware of media that needs to be able to burn only at 1X speeds. We also have stand alone dubbers that only burn at high speeds as well so we have other media for that. We do our best not to confuse the media that we get for each specific use. I think that it is the new burner that may not be able to record at slower speeds not the Samp 10. I also think that you are most likely right and that there may be no reason for me to want to record at 1X.

thanks again

but I was still wondering why I could not burn at slower speeds.

Because modern drives and CD are optimized for faster burning speed.

I have a Tascam standalone CD recorder burning at 1X. Some CD can't be used on it and only can be burnt at higher speed on my PC.

The only reason to burn at lower speed in Samp is that if there are a lot of tracks/objects/effets etc. the time to calculate that could interrupt the continuous stream necessary to burn the audio CD at the selected speed.

Thanks for your email

It is starting to make sense now!