Learn Hardware Controller

Blue

I can't to assign the M-Audio Keystation knobs to the parameters of my plugins, no matter if I assign those controls to the Sam mixer controls, (Volume, Pan...) but get control to the plugs seems impossible :o

I have tried the new "Learn Hardware Controller" function, but nothing happens, I mark the LHC function in the plugin menu, move the plug control and then, the same thing with the Keystation knob, but...no way. :)

I'll go crazy with this issue, I would love can use this new feature in Sam 10.1

Can anybody help me?

Regards.

hi!

to control parameter via your m-audio keystation you have to register it as a hardware controller in samplitude. to do so open the hardware controller setup and click "add new". select "#empty". this is an empty setup with no information in it because there is no predefined setup file for the keystation. click "save setup as ..." to save it under another name like "keystation" or so. set track count to one (or more if you think this fits better, - i dont know the layout of the keystation or your intentions.) set internal mode to "Mackie Multitrack" (just to choose something).

now use the tab "customize controller" to learn the knobs and the other controls you would like to use to some samplitude functions. for example learn the first knob to the function "mixer -> tracks -> TrackVPot" with track = 1 and slot = 1. (you can see all your learned functions in the list there.)

close the dialog with ok to accept your changes to the setting. now you should be able to control the pan of track 1. this functional connection you can now alter by using the function "learn hardware controller" in the mixer or in plugin windows.

i hope this is of some help for you.

ciao falcone

hi!

to control parameter via your m-audio keystation you have to register it as a hardware controller in samplitude. to do so open the hardware controller setup and click "add new". select "#empty". this is an empty setup with no information in it because there is no predefined setup file for the keystation. click "save setup as ..." to save it under another name like "keystation" or so. set track count to one (or more if you think this fits better, - i dont know the layout of the keystation or your intentions.) set internal mode to "Mackie Multitrack" (just to choose something).

now use the tab "customize controller" to learn the knobs and the other controls you would like to use to some samplitude functions. for example learn the first knob to the function "mixer -> tracks -> TrackVPot" with track = 1 and slot = 1. (you can see all your learned functions in the list there.)

close the dialog with ok to accept your changes to the setting. now you should be able to control the pan of track 1. this functional connection you can now alter by using the function "learn hardware controller" in the mixer or in plugin windows.

i hope this is of some help for you.

ciao falcone

First of all, thanks for your replay falcone, but I'm afraid, the problem still remain :o

I have followed your instructions step by step, no matter until this point: "now you should be able to control the pan of track 1", that's right, I can to control the pan pot of track 1, however nothing happens after that point, I don't understand what happen...Tick "LHC" in the plugin menu (I tried with many plugins), move the appropriate control (for example Cut Off), then move the Keystation knob set beforehand to TrackVPot function...and I can only to control the track Pan.

By the way, when I tick the HLC in the plugin menu and move the Cut Off, the HLC mark disappear automatically, even before I can move any knob in the Keystation... :)

is it normal?

hi!

i just tested it here. i took magix plugin "corvex" which i think is available for you too. put it in track 1 of a fresh created project and opened the plugin dialog. clicked on learn hardware controller and changed fist best parameter "deleay time" via mouse. then grabbed the knob of the connected controller (which is actually not a keystation, but that shouldn't matter) and turned it. so the connection estabnlished and i could control the delay time via the hwc knob.

i think you also tried this the same way, and it may be frustrating to get not the same result. so lets look what problems may be there. the altering via "lhwc" creates a snapshot of the current controller settings and saves it do disk. anny changes in the hardware controller dialog to the settings would delete this snapshot file. so we have to check the existence of such a snapshot file. first produce the file by trying to use the "lhwc" menu entry. then look via explorer or your tool of choice for your samplitude directory. there should be a subdirectory "Controlpannels". in that subdirectory should be the file "dump.cvd" (which is the snapshot file). if the file is there you may post it to me. if it is not the creation of that file is the problem. which operating system do you use? Microsoft Vista?

while using "lhwc" the check on lhwc should be there till you click another time on it or move a control on you controller. you said that is not the case on your system, so maybe something (midi traffic) is interfering the learning process. i'll check which reasons exactly could create this.

not all plugins work with "lhwc" e.g. "variverb".

ciao falcone

Hi falcone.

Yes, I'm Samplitude 10.1 Pro user, I made the same thing than you said with the Magix plugin "Corvex", but unfortunately, don't work for me...

My SO is Win XP, I have searched the "dump.cvd" file in my main HD but I have no found nothing at all, I think you are right when you say "so maybe something (midi traffic) is interfering the learning process", I think the same here, LHWC it's a function that I was looking for a long time, and now, I can't to use it, yes, it's very frustrating :)

From the .ini file I have extract the next text, I hope that help...if not, please, tell me a concrete directory or subdirectory where I can search in order to post the results, thank you so much:

[special]

RecordDevice=0

PlayDevice=0

AsioDriverName=MOTU FireWire Audio

ControlPanel_MidiIn_1=1

ControlPanel_MidiOut_1=0

ControlPanel_MidiIn_2=-1

ControlPanel_MidiOut_2=-1

ControlPanel_MidiIn_3=-1

ControlPanel_MidiOut_3=-1

ControlPanel_MidiIn_4=-1

ControlPanel_MidiOut_4=-1

ControlPanel_UnitPresetName1=0

ControlPanel_UnitPresetName2=0

ControlPanel_UnitPresetName3=0

ControlPanel_UnitPresetName4=0

GlobalMidiRecordDevice=1

ControlPanel_SetupName1=KeyStation

ControlPanel_Flags=2

ControlPanel_UnitIdx_1=0

ControlPanel_UnitIdx_2=0

ControlPanel_UnitIdx_3=0

GlobalMidiPlayDevice=9

[AudioOut]

Devices=4

out00="MOTU Main Outs",0,1,""

out01="MOTU Phones",0,2,""

out02="MOTU Analog",0,3,""

out03="MOTU SPDIF",0,4,""

[AudioIn]

Devices=4

in00="MOTU Analog",0,1,""

in01="MOTU Mix1",0,2,""

in02="MOTU Mic-Guitar",0,3,""

in03="MOTU SPDIF",0,4,""

[MidiOut]

Devices=10

out00="USB Audio Device (2)",0,1,"USB Audio Device (2)"

out01="USB Audio Device [2]",0,2,"USB Audio Device [2]"

out02="USB Audio Device [3]",0,3,"USB Audio Device [3]"

out03="USB Audio Device [4]",0,4,"USB Audio Device [4]"

out04="USB Audio Device [5]",0,5,"USB Audio Device [5]"

out05="USB Audio Device [6]",0,6,"USB Audio Device [6]"

out06="USB Audio Device [7]",0,7,"USB Audio Device [7]"

out07="USB Audio Device [8]",0,8,"USB Audio Device [8]"

out08="828mk2",0,9,"828mk2"

out09="USB Audio Device",0,10,"USB Audio Device"

[MidiIn]

Devices=11

in00="828mk2",0,1,"828mk2"

in01="USB Audio Device",0,2,"USB Audio Device"

in02="USB Audio Device [2]",0,3,"USB Audio Device [2]"

in03="USB Audio Device (2)",0,4,"USB Audio Device (2)"

in04="USB Audio Device [2] (2)",0,5,"USB Audio Device [2] (2)"

in05="USB Audio Device [3]",0,6,"USB Audio Device [3]"

in06="USB Audio Device [4]",0,7,"USB Audio Device [4]"

in07="USB Audio Device [5]",0,8,"USB Audio Device [5]"

in08="USB Audio Device [6]",0,9,"USB Audio Device [6]"

in09="USB Audio Device [7]",0,10,"USB Audio Device [7]"

in10="USB Audio Device [8]",0,11,"USB Audio Device [8]"

• 3 weeks later...

hi Xpiral!

not sure if your problem already fixed. but sounds so. - yes i treated this subject with blue via personal messages. leaving others outside, what was indicated by the amount of details we had to talk about.

the output modes was the crucial point to solve the problem.

"send echo" sends all changes of sam parameters to the hwc.

"normal send" sends changes of sam parameters to the hwc only when these changes did not origin from the hwc itself.

some controllers work better with one ore the other setting. so we offer both.

ciao falcone

• 4 years later...

I can't assign the knobs on my keyboard to VST knobs.

I have Samplitude Pro X, I tried with the keyboards Roland RS-9 and Behringer UMX610, neither worked.

I watched this video:

I followed instructions, everything seemed to happen the same way like in the video except after selecting 'learn hardware controller' and clicking the knob nothing happens.

I tried normal echo and send echo as well.

I suspect that there is a single flag or setting missing somewhere, because:

1. Without any hardware controller assignment attempt, I can turn random knobs of the VST with the keyboards knobs.

2. When a plugin has its own 'MIDI learn' function available then the assignment works.

3. Assignment works with Ableton Live right away.

Please advise!

• 2 months later...

Since then, I tried a 3rd keyboard for assignment without any success.

Also, another issue came up.

I automated on a track by external keyboard knob, it drawed nice colorful dots and lines. Then I modified the line, but nothing changed in sound, so I thought I delete the automation to start over again and try. Then I saw that after deleting the colorful stuff, 1 pixel grey dots remained on the track like still there was the automation. I played the track and yes, the automation was not deleted. So basically, I can never ever change what I played once and can't manually draw lines, because they do nothing.

Please reply.

Nowadays, 2 mb free studio applications are capable to handle automation without any issue, without setting anything, I just tried 2 other software, both worked in a minute. I'm start having too much midi trouble with this software.

Hi there,

For some reason I missed the original posts. It's hard to keep track of everything sometimes.

HWC assignment has changed in recent versions since I made that video . I will try and do an updated version when I get time What keyboards have you been using and what parameters have you been trying to automate? I don't work for MAGIX but I will do my best to troubleshoot your problems.

Cheers

Kraznet