No Omf?

Vytis

I am seriously considering switching to Samplitude after years of Pro Tools and Cubase/Nuendo. But I've just noticed that Samplitude cannot import OMF directly. Is that true? I don't want to buy any additional software such as EDL Convert. The free OpenTL->Samplitude EDL converter looks great, but still no OMF support. I'm missing something, right?

Thanks!

Ok, I'll have to take Samplitude off my list then. What a shame... :huh:

Thanks for your quick response Sebastian!

I have no doubt that OMF support would open the doors to many new customers. But then Magix made this decision so I guess we'll just have to stay where we are. I cannot justify the cost of Sequoia when I only need this feature.

Thanks!

Now that's very interesting considering its price!

Has anybody complained / requested this feature?

If Sequoia is being marketed as an ultimate post production DAW it is simply vital to have OMF support - Nuendo & Cubase has it, Pyramix Native has it, entry level Logic Express has it, even the free version of Sonar that comes with some Edirol soundcards can open OMF! I can understand that smaller developers may not be able to afford the licence, but for Samplitude / Sequoia it is absolutely essential! EDL Converter Pro is a workaround and requires to use a third-party application. This feature needs to be built in.

What a shame... Amazing editing tools, superb sound, excellent performance and no communication with the rest of the world. I'm using Samplitude SE and each time I discover something incredible, but I cannot upgrade and switch to Samplitude entirely simply because all my sound design projects come from non linear editors in the form of OMF.

Is this planned at some point, perhaps?

There was a lot of discussions in that respect. The thing is that EDLCVpro is a very good solution and integrates well with Sequoia. It is not overpricd either. In many other platforms, EDL conversion is a pay for option as well. So, as far as I am aware off, it is not such a big issue.

Regards,

Sebastian

No, unfortunately Reaper does not allow OMF. :huh: It seems like they are working on it though.

But then Reaper is nearly free whereas for a high-end DAW I find it totally unacceptable. But I smell politics. I am confident many would easily switch if it had OMF or AAF support, but I guess Magix made a decision for this not to happen. All film/TV post world depends on OMF support. AT LEAST Sequoia should be able to handle this industry-standard format.

I don't see why it cannot be implemented...

http://www.aafassociation.org/download/index.html

Very strange!

Doesn't that annoy you?

Very strange!

Doesn't that annoy you?

Yes, it does annoy me. But I understand that it is a matter of workload. OMF is not properly documented. AAF is a monster. Basically, all that would probably happen is that any 3rd party component is implemented. EDLCVpro works that well, that it has not so high priority.

I disagree on one point: you are right that OMF/AAF exchange is a core feature of Post. But by no means this needs to be within the DAW application. Converting exchange formats has no advantage by closer integration. The price tag discusion is lame as well. Reaper is dirt cheap anyhow. For all the other apps, it's the global picture that counts. We are not talking about buying camels here where the market criteria are clear for everybody.

Regards,

Sebastian

No, unfortunately Reaper does not allow OMF. :huh: It seems like they are working on it though.

But then Reaper is nearly free whereas for a high-end DAW I find it totally unacceptable. But I smell politics. I am confident many would easily switch if it had OMF or AAF support, but I guess Magix made a decision for this not to happen. All film/TV post world depends on OMF support. AT LEAST Sequoia should be able to handle this industry-standard format.

Very strange!

Doesn't that annoy you?

Ask the client if they are capable of exporting the session in another format that's more SAM friendly.

If you're getting a lot of different formats, maybe it's time to invest in something like SSL's Solid State Logic Pro-Convert Digital Audio Project Translator Software or get a copy of Cubase4.

Guys, thank you very much for your friendly advice! I truly appreciate it.

I'll stick around, but unfortunately I cannot justify switching to Samplitude as it is.

Please excuse me if I ask a few more annoying questions in the future.

Many many thanks!

OMF has been mentioned (and debated) on and off for years, and AAF more recently, but I just use EDL to convert to/from. It DOES work, and it's perhaps cheaper than that OMF license (I don't know). It's somewhat relative. The other guys have mentioned other options that may also prove cheaper in the long run.

Nevertheless, thanks for hanging around and really checking out our favorite DAW :huh: (You've discovered one of the unsung heroes in the industry IMO).

Greg

There is no OMF license. It is being used by reverse engineering, AVID is tolerating it, and the only hard patent involved AFAIK is Apple's Bento. And Bento is outdated. Nobody cares.

It's the work putting all the pieces together. I was invilved in the development of V7, 8 and some small pieces of V9, and I can tell you that each and every time the team came to the conclusion that the amount of ressources that would have to be put into AAF and OMF would cost features in another segment. While the importance of OMF/AAF exchange was clear to everybody, it draw the shorter end because of different priorities. Developer ressources are limited everywhere.

Actually, if you look in the forums, there are indeed issues that are more important also for the existing users. Simple statistics.

/S

There is no OMF license. It is being used by reverse engineering, AVID is tolerating it, and the only hard patent involved AFAIK is Apple's Bento. And Bento is outdated. Nobody cares.

It's the work putting all the pieces together. I was invilved in the development of V7, 8 and some small pieces of V9, and I can tell you that each and every time the team came to the conclusion that the amount of ressources that would have to be put into AAF and OMF would cost features in another segment. While the importance of OMF/AAF exchange was clear to everybody, it draw the shorter end because of different priorities. Developer ressources are limited everywhere.

Actually, if you look in the forums, there are indeed issues that are more important also for the existing users. Simple statistics.

/S

Oh, OK, yes, I understand now.

Greg