The Sound Of Samplitude

MGB

Hi,

I know this has been discussed am million times already, but I'm very serious about it.

Can someone ( preferebly a developer?) please elaborate on the fact that a lot of people on different forums find that Samplitude sounds "better" compared to other aps?

I myself can hear a very clear difference in sound ( more dept, better separation....clearer...?), and really think it sounds better ( better is of course a personal opinion but it definitely sounds different).

Everytime a discussion like this comes up somebody will come forward and mention a nulling test, and claim because of files nulling out there cannot be a difference in sound, period.

But still I'm sure I hear a big difference in sound.

And even Samplitude themselves mention this on their website.

So I would appreciate it very much if someone on the "inside", i.e. one of the developers of Samplitude could shed his light on this topic.

Thanks,

MGB

Hi,

I know this has been discussed am million times already, but I'm very serious about it.

Can someone ( preferebly a developer?) please elaborate on the fact that a lot of people on different forums find that Samplitude sounds "better" compared to other aps?

I myself can hear a very clear difference in sound ( more dept, better separation....clearer...?), and really think it sounds better ( better is of course a personal opinion but it definitely sounds different).

Everytime a discussion like this comes up somebody will come forward and mention a nulling test, and claim because of files nulling out there cannot be a difference in sound, period.

But still I'm sure I hear a big difference in sound.

And even Samplitude themselves mention this on their website.

So I would appreciate it very much if someone on the "inside", i.e. one of the developers of Samplitude could shed his light on this topic.

Thanks,

MGB

I was using Cubase SX2 for quite sometime before i decided to give samp a try, first thing i noticed was the sound quality, i dumped sx2 for samp9SE.

My brother also mentioned this without knowing that samp is known for its audio SQ.

Of cause its all subjective and a lot of people want "proof", but after being an audiophile for years that doesn't realy bother me, i'll contunue to use samplitude cause it sounds really great to me !

hi,

there's a test on a french forum about that and the [math :unsure: ] result is : files are absolutely identical (null test) between different hosts.

The test consists of few tracks in a multitrack session, all faders to 0, all pan at extreme to avoid different pan law (track 1, pan hard L, track 2 pan hard right, etc ...), and then create a bounce.

Sorry... :)

But I like the idea that Sampliquoia sounds different, and better obviously, and I like read those testimonials in this forum. If you search in this Newcomer forum, you can see a lot of them, most are switchers from Cubase or PT.

It's always the same thing coming back : the sound. But there's so much more things in this soft : way of work, high quality plugs, ... perhaps it's this that create THE sound... :ninja:

best regards

Phil

Nulling tests mean nothing much unless a particular DAW is used only to play back audio files with no frills. How it responds on a complete mix with everything going full tilt and much paddling below the water is the real test.

I am a samp noob, though very long in the tooth in the recording game. Just started using the 10 download version. I've been using the VST comps and strip suite for sometime now.

First thing I did was to get the same BFD2 loop going in samp and my usual programme.

Reaction 1 :unsure:

Reaction 2 :)

Reaction 3 :o

Reaction 4 :ninja:

Reaction 5 ;)

I imported the .wavs from a complete track. Game set and match. I would rather not say if or how much better samp sounds to my other programme if it indeed does. I'd rather the competiton uses something else. I always like the edge.

What a great programme, for me anyway.

Now if I could only get it to see this here Nocturn Automap border edges.

I'm glad you all like it as much as I do.

I think the quality of the included plugins is indeed very high because it's just so much easier for me to get everything sounding the way I want it.

But even just playing back audio files to me sounds "better" in Samp, so the question remains, howcome?

I'm a happy guy anyway because I hear the difference and that's what counts doesn't it?

MGB

I think the quality of the included plugins is indeed very high because it's just so much easier for me to get everything sounding the way I want it.

I employ quite a bit of external hardware and send all track outputs to hardware. But I would not be unhappy using just the bundled eq and FX if I had to do so with no 3rd party extras at a pinch. Samp workspace is right up my street, clean, neat and functional. Appears to be bulletproof, too.

But even just playing back audio files to me sounds "better" in Samp, so the question remains, howcome?

I wouldn't know, I didn't even try it and won't be. No point. If someone says it does, fine, someone that it doesn't fine. As far as I'm concerned it's a mix I want to end up with not an individual track inspection or .wav summing test result. A .wav or two going down one tube is a slightly different scenario to a biggish mix with X tracks and X plugs operating in various sampling/oversampling modes and suchlike down multiple busses, aux tubes, etc. Tubes as in digital pipes, not glowing things. I can hear way beyond panning laws, too.

I'm a happy guy anyway because I hear the difference and that's what counts doesn't it?

The only thing that matters I would say.

Apart from getting samp to see these flaming Nocturn borders. :)

mudflat

on the cubase and nuendo forums, there are a lot of guys that say the exact opposite.. (not to say that i don't believe you, just to mention).

i personally do not hear a difference between samplitude, reaper and cubase, but my ears have suffered.

if these sound differences (that affiandos of every daw claim to hear) would really be true, it would be easy to proof that with blind tests. but there is not one single such scientific test, so i don't believe it. but what i believe is that the placebo effect works wonders, so don't change your opinion..;-)

exactly.

The null test is BS, when you start processing the audio, thats when things can go bad. Passing audio thru with the faders at 0 and pans set hard is nothing. One of our mix sessions with 40+ tracks, 16 buss, 8 auxs and tons of processing, thats the real test.

I cam e from Logic audio years ago and was floored by the difference.

hi Tim,

The null test is BS, when you start processing the audio, thats when things can go bad. Passing audio thru with the faders at 0 and pans set hard is nothing. One of our mix sessions with 40+ tracks, 16 buss, 8 auxs and tons of processing, thats the real test.

I agree, but you must admit is very difficult to tell that to guys that have even never tried Sampliquoia and that are sure there's no difference between DAW...

There're so much thread about that in all audio forums...

best

Phil

Well,

Pro's and con's, people who hear a difference and people who don't.

I guess it'll be allways like that.

I have to say I agree with what they mention on the cubase forum , about that if the songs aren't any good, making them sound good still doesn't make them great songs.

I'd rather hear a brilliant song on a crappy tapedeck than a crappy song on a superdeluxe hifi installation.

But still I think it doesn't hurt trying to aim for the best sound, but it really does come in second after having a great song/ performance.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Ciao,

MGB

• 2 weeks later...