Variverb Pro Samples - Wot?

Hi guys,

I just recently installed Sequoia and I truly love the program. Switching from Cubase after 22 years to a new DAW is not easy, but I've decided to give it my best shot.

I really love Variverb Pro, fantastic sound, but one thing puzzles me: The built-in samples are extremely handy when fiddling with the controls and listening to the results, but on my setup (WinXP SP3) they only sound when Sequoia is running. When I stop playback and press one of the test sample buttons, the samples don't play!! Hell, it's when my DAW is stopped and no music is playing that I REALLY need the samples!

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. This cannot be the desired behaviour... :huh:

Hi guys,

I just recently installed Sequoia and I truly love the program. Switching from Cubase after 22 years to a new DAW is not easy, but I've decided to give it my best shot.

I really love Variverb Pro, fantastic sound, but one thing puzzles me: The built-in samples are extremely handy when fiddling with the controls and listening to the results, but on my setup (WinXP SP3) they only sound when Sequoia is running. When I stop playback and press one of the test sample buttons, the samples don't play!! Hell, it's when my DAW is stopped and no music is playing that I REALLY need the samples!

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. This cannot be the desired behaviour... :huh:

Hej Sven,

I see you've left the Cube... huh... welcome aboard our collective B)

With VariVerb, the behaviour is quite normal. In contrast to Cubase/Nuendo, Samplitude's engine is not 'always on'; it depends on the mode & monitoring setup. The 'compatible mode' should be selecting ASIO & 'Mixer FX Monitoring / Hybrid Engine'. Then, Sam's always processing audio. There are other modes that only process things upon playback, whenever it is necessary. This especially applies to object effects, which is a special case when you put a VST or an internal DSP FX on a single (or multiple) object(s).

I suppose it's best for you to fiddle a bit with the modes (watch the tooltip-style box that appears upon switching any mode) , how they can help you in getting CPU cycles as low as possible, e.g. getting a reasonable performance vs. convenience ratio.

The behaviour does not only apply to VV, it affect every plugin. The host simply doesn't call the VSTs process () function whenever the engine/mode scheme says 'shut up here', therefore no output.

At first, it might not be as easy & direct as usual, but once you get a hang on it, you probably never want to miss that. :)

Thanks for your excellent explanation, Sascha! :huh:

Those engine modes also explain why reverb is cut off abruptly when I press Stop.

It's important to understand these mechanisms. I can imagine the confusion when a user fires up a drum machine (like my own Groove Agent :) ) and wants to try out some rhythm styles with Sequoia stopped and there's no sound...