Hardware Controller Supplemental Pdf?

poofox

samplitude\controlpanels this is the position of the pdf file.

it tells you which button triggers which function of the hardware controller templates included in samplitude. if you need help on setting up your own template i would like to help you.

ciao falcone

samplitude\controlpanels this is the position of the pdf file.

it tells you which button triggers which function of the hardware controller templates included in samplitude. if you need help on setting up your own template i would like to help you.

ciao falcone

ah that seems the only place i didnt look! :P ok well it doesnt really have any extra info tho. im trying to set up a novation remote sl as an "active track" controller. ive got it set so i can access all useful parameters for any active track immediately from the controller. basically ive got it but theres only 2 things i havent been able to do.

1. set one of the knobs or encoders to "trackselect." that control doesnt seem to do anything. i can set next or previous to button controls but thats not ideal if i have 30 tracks or so since theres no "repeat on hold" like a regular keyboard. touch pad almost works but since the 4 fields overlap, one always seems to override so that i can only go in one direction. it would really help workflow if i didnt have to use the mouse to select the track i want.

2. ive got one fader for the current track, one for master, one for monitor and id like to set the rest to my submixes. but if i put the submixes at the top of the list so that the faders correspond always to those channels, i cant route anything to them (!?). the only solution i could think of would be if i could assign them numbers independent of how many tracks there actually are, like, 95-100 or so. otherwise i suppose i can just set up a whole bunch of tracks and hide them until i need to use them. guess thats acceptable.

also what is a vpot? what does that mean? thanks for your help!

hi!

1: "trackselect" is the function you put usually to the button of one channel to select that channel. and to show via LED that a channel is selected or not.

if you want to change the selected track by a knob, there is the function "arranger->arranger navigation->track select vpot". this function works only with "endless" knobs. that means, knob controls that send up-messages and down-messages, as in contrast there are continuous knob controls which send an absolute value (e.g. 0..127).

"touch pad almost works but since the 4 fields overlap, one always seems to override so that i can only go in one direction." this i don't understand, as it's been too long ago, that i have seen that controller here.

2: as submixes are, from the controller standpoint, just tracks, there is no way to address them in a different way. this means you cant put the submixes on the fader the way you want to. the absolute addressing is a idea to be discussed, but i think that would be too statical.

in samplitude - for now - you can only route tracks from left to right. (as far as i know. - there are always discussions around.)

maybe it would help if you put "active control" on another fader. but this has to be done manually. if you interested, i will explain.

vpot is the term that refers to a knob control. it comes from a electrical circuit element as far as i know. this name was there when i started here.

ciao falcone

maybe it would help if you put "active control" on another fader. but this has to be done manually. if you interested, i will explain.

not sure what you meant by that but if its not too much trouble you can explain.

otherwise, sweet, thanks youve helped much. its almost perfect! good grief i wish id found this proggy before cubase. much less time would have been wasted, this is so much more flexible! and switching devices is such a snap! dreamy... anyways, three more things from you: :P

1. is there a way to assign the control for the filter type in the eq? so i could set a button to toggle between pass, cut and peak? and

2. is there a shortcut to go directly to the customize controller section like there is to go to the main system devices (y)? and

3. can the eq dialog for the active track be automatically shown each time i select a track? no biggie but it would be nice...

then i will have achieved controller nirvana! thanks greatly for your expertise falcone!!

• 4 weeks later...

hi!

sorry i'm late - haven't seen your post before.

"1. is there a way to assign the control for the filter type in the eq? so i could set a button to toggle between pass, cut and peak?"

-> no, not yet. how important is this? -> for now it's not on "the list".

"2. is there a shortcut to go directly to the customize controller section like there is to go to the main system devices (y)?"

-> no, not yet. i'm sure if you have found a setting, that fits your needs most, you wont need that dialog much often. (another menu-entry, shortcut entry, toolbar button, or whatever would make you make you happy for maximum 4 hours but would increase the perceived complexity for all forever.)

"3. can the eq dialog for the active track be automatically shown each time i select a track? no biggie but it would be nice..."

-> another exotic functionality. so lets have a look on the implications:

- do you want the eq-window of the selected track open on any track selection changing event or just when switching via hwc?

- do you want the maybe open eg-dialog of any other or the formerly selected track to be closed on that events?

- do you want to switch off this behavior when you don't need it?

-> three more complex options in the program, and every one has to deal with it. sure it would make your life easy, but if we do this, we would do other requests the same way. so you would have to page through 150 pages of options. all have to read them just to find your option. i think you got the point. maybe you find a better idea.

thanks for your requests - it helps us a lot to get samplitude/sequoia better.

ciao falcone

"1. is there a way to assign the control for the filter type in the eq? so i could set a button to toggle between pass, cut and peak?"

-> no, not yet. how important is this? -> for now it's not on "the list".

doesnt seem like it would hurt anything. workflow is about saving small increments of time in every place possible. but i understand people have to be paid to make this stuff happen.

"3. can the eq dialog for the active track be automatically shown each time i select a track? no biggie but it would be nice..."

-> another exotic functionality. so lets have a look on the implications:

- do you want the eq-window of the selected track open on any track selection changing event or just when switching via hwc?

- do you want the maybe open eg-dialog of any other or the formerly selected track to be closed on that events?

- do you want to switch off this behavior when you don't need it?

-> three more complex options in the program, and every one has to deal with it. sure it would make your life easy, but if we do this, we would do other requests the same way. so you would have to page through 150 pages of options. all have to read them just to find your option. i think you got the point. maybe you find a better idea."

for me, i would have at the very least an option to let each track remember which fx, eq dialogs, etc which were open and automatically bring them up for the active track. this is only one option: "automatic recall of dialogs for the selected track?" i mean who really wants to manually close their effects windows all the time? for me its very confusing when you switch tracks and have the same effect on another track but you forget the dialog open in front of you is for a previous track and then you mess up the settings for that while wondering why nothing seems to be changing in the sound. seems at least a better default behavior.

"thanks for your requests - it helps us a lot to get samplitude/sequoia better.

ciao falcone

"

ah well i suppose there are not too many users like me who judge a program by its flexibility i.e. its options. i understand your point about an overwhelming amount of options. but in fact i can think of many ways to implement them to create a deeply customizeable environment without overwhelming the user. actually i'd really love for someone to give me a job doing exactly that, since its what my mind was made for. anyways, the main difficulty with having many options is that the wording is confusing, so that it is not at all obvious what the implication is. but thats usually to do with the manual having been written in a language not native to the writer, or the translator not having in depth knowledge of the material.

supposing you care what i think would make this program amazing, here are my best ideas: since "percieved complexity" on the user end is ultimately going to be based on the program's compatibility with the users expectations, or desired workflow. i've tried every pc compatible program out there, and the main part of the learning curve is adapting my old ways with what the new program is capable of. since there are only a handful of other programs out there, it seems only logical to implement good ideas from them. for instance, in adobe audition, the mousewheel is most flexible. if you scroll in over the track list in the multitrack window, it zooms vertically. scrolling on the timeline zooms horizontally. scrolling on the waveforms scrolls vertically through the tracks. this may seem trivial but its hard to live without once youre used to it.

i dont think perceived complexity would be greatly affected by simply having every possible action within the program assignable to a keyfunction or midi command. esp when samplitude has that great search field for looking up commands or their current assignments. no other program i've tried has this and it should be fully expanded. it should also exist for the hardware controller configuration window. there's no reason not to.

a feature which would put samplitude above and beyond all the competition is an optional "learning mode," wherein, during a users familiarization period with the program, taking basic actions would call up a small questionaire to adapt the programs response to a variety of workflow styles. questions could always be skipped or turned off altogether and decisions recorded incase of mistakes. option management is the key. there should be as many options as you we can think of, but if they are carefully organized and advanced options hidden for novice users, there would be virtually no effect on "percieve complexity." then you have a program that every user can mold to their individual needs and is cleanly laid out and easily learned by the beginner. it sounds ambitious but it would just take some cunning and attention to detail as well as a bit of research on how people want to create their music. and probably some careful coding as well... ;)

this obsession is what has led me to samplitude, and also makes me wish there was still something better. although i still find many ways it could be improved. its just getting me closest to my goal of a seamless, intuitive workflow.

sorry falcone!! i have an unresting brain. but if it is pointless for me to make suggestions or you dont care let me know. there is much that excites me about this program and the possibility that the developers would actually listen to the users and improve the program accordingly is the most exciting thing.

hi!

thanks for your point of view. it shows clearly which direction you want samplitude to go.

"ah well i suppose there are not too many users like me who judge a program by its flexibility i.e. its options."

there are surely many of those users, but also many who want just to work with a tool, not to network with a ultra flexible something, that COULD be one tool or another. - so you are right.

your vision has its charm, but there also obstacles to convert this into reality.

- with such a flexibility your questions to the support would be like: "i want to do ..., that worked yesterday, but not today. why doesn't work your program right?" an the answer: "oh, yeah, this could be so when you have set option ... to yes and option ... to 1/3. but also when you scrolled the mouse wheel while pointing to ..., or ... or ... or ..."

- to handle different products like "Music Studio", "Samplitude", "Samplitude Pro" or "Sequoia". with features and workflows here and not there and vice versa.

- to handle different versions like v9 or v10. especially migration from one version to another. some workflows or features might be changed or replaced all the time to adapt to users needs, new technologies or product identity. the transition between two versions would require a large amount of time for developers, and testing but wouldn't create a benefit for everyone to justify that effort.

so there are pros and cons. and its not that we are too lazy to implement your vision. ;)

ciao falcone

Falcone-

ok i still understand your point of view, but the main thing is samplitude has one of the most flexible interfaces for use of hardware controllers i've seen. but its not quite *there* and i can't understand why. for instance, why not just add another couple "slots" to control the low and high eq types? you can already control every other parameter from a controller and i don't see any reason why not this one too. i'm just saying, its aready almost perfect, why not make perfect? if you put a search function, as there is under key commands, in place for hardware controllers and allowed a user to potentially control any aspect of samplite from a controller, it would be so. what could this hurt? these are not new options, just extensions of existing ones. nothing changes here except the scope and the level of completeness.

also, i've noticed one other major limitation, which seems unnecessary as far as this goes. remember i was asking about controlling the tempo or bpm from a controller? there's no tap tempo for my wireless transport and i can't seem to assign the jog wheel to adjust this either. basically i want to set the tempo from behind the drumset or at least adjust it so i can record to metronome. can't find any way to do this. but if there was a globally assignable tap tempo key outside the tap tempo dialog this *would* be possible. the only other possibility i found was to record a bit with some manual clicking and then set bar markers while listening back. that would set the correct tempo to whatever i was trying to record. but i can't do this either because the shortcut to set any of those type of markers will only set the first one, call up a dialog and then you have to set the rest with the mouse. i don't see any advantage in that, why has it been designed so.

actually the apart from these points, the only thing i would like to see in samplitude's future is a more intutive way of quantizing beats. basically more like its done in live. being able to click on a transient manually and drag it where you would like it with realtime time stretching. not that the existing one is useless. its just a bit unwieldy, but at least it beats cubase, which can't even simultaneously quantize multitrack drums... though that could be fixed in v4 but i'm not paying to find out.

ok i lied, one last point of contention is the zoom behavior. why can't i zoom to where the mouse is while a track is playing? it will only zoom to the cursor. or, i can get it to zoom to range edges but i can't define ranges without moving the play cursor. more gradual zoom behavior on the mousewheel would be nice too. geez i'm such a nitpick. can't you just give me a job? obviously i need an outlet for this sort of thing.

once again thank you greatly for your help and your attention to my ideas. hopefully they are having some effect? ;)