Robota Pro Loudness

Vit

I've just tried out Sam10 Pro Demo and was suprised by the Robota Pro overall loudness.. It is TOO quiet. I need to boost up the volume at least by 15-20db to get decent sound and it can't be done by Robota Pro knobs. What's up with that?!!

Well, that's mainly because the engine doesn't just playback polished and max-boosted samples. It's actually a modular synth, a VA, if you want. There is no fixed operating level on the inside, it can be anything. You can do extreme stuff if you twist it enough, including massive overdrive and filter resonance / squeals. It would be counter-productive and quite dangerous if we'd allow for a 0dbFS level right from the start.

After all, we give you 32bits floating point. You just don't lose any quality by boosting the level afterwards. Headroom is your friend :blink:

That was fast! THX

Ok.. With high velocity levels and knob Volume on Max it can do the trick. Extra room on volume knob is still needed..

Must admit this synth is awesome. The best drum VA I've used so far. Hope its gets even better!!

Development on Robota is more or less abandoned. But we got BeatBox2 as sort of successor coming up with V11. This thing was already introduced with MusicMaker /MusicStudio 15. It follows a relatively easy grid/step-sequencer apprach (more visual, less hardware-like), while offering a more versatile sound engine. It's 5 years between them, which I think is clearly audible :blink:

Here's a video where I was giving a BB2 intro to journalists within a MusicMaker15 presentation here in our Berlin office last year. It's lengthy, but anyway...:

http://www.feebs.nl/video/1032b5f55ef0d

Too bad.. Seeing Beatbox in Sam Pro will be very weird.. just cuz Sam already got Drum Grid :blink:

Don't judge too early on that. The grid is there for a convenient workflow, of course. But it's not only the grid for triggering sounds; you can use it to automate every internal parameter. It's the right features right where you need them which might count here. Not every user wants to fiddle with multiple windows.

I'm not tryin to judge.. If it is really good and necessary - everybody wins :blink:

OK.. last question

I manage to run Robota in Samplitude DLV project.. After saving project Robota state didn't save with it. Is it demo version restriction or some kind of incompatibility?