Multi Outs BFD2

belf

Hi,

I'm still testing Samplitude so I don't really know how to do everything I want, would be nice if you guys could help me on this one.

I have BFD2 and as I'm no drummer nor good at it, I'd like to route every kit piece to a separate audio and midi track. To route it to different audio tracks wasn't difficult at all but I have no idea how to do it with midi tracks. I don't know if I'm being clear enough, I'd like something like this :

Audio 1 - Kick

Midi 1 - Kick

Audio 2 - Snare

Midi 2 - Snare

As I said, I'm no drummer at all, so what I'd like to do is to first record kick, then snare, then cymbals and so forward. Instrument by instrument (And still be able to manipulate them via midi). If I try to do this now, for example I record only the kick, then when I want to record the snare, samplitude would in this case record it over the kick. Is there any solution for this problem ?

Thanks

There are at least two possibilities:

1) You can overdub the MIDI recording into an already existing MIDI object. (MIDI Overdub Mode).

2) The BFD audio snare track can be switched to MIDI (which means simply that instead of audio MIDI will be recorded). Then disarm MIDI recording on the KICK track and enable Recording on the Snare track - that should do it.

Option 1) has the advantage that you have the whole drum groove in the same MIDI track/object, it might be a little bit easier to edit/copy/split your drum programming then. (But I would seperate that MIDI track from the audio return track (Kick))

Option 2) has the advantage that any SOLO/MUTE action is more transparent. If you want to edit the whole drum kit, you can use the MIDI Multi-Object-Editing feature.

(It is quite a unique feature of samplitude to be able to keep audio and MIDI on the same track - this offers a very clearly arranged way to deal with multi-output VSTis. On the other hand, since you can also seperate feeding MIDI tracks and audio return tracks, if you want, there is no fixed default VSTi routing scheeme available in samplitude which might be confusing at first. The VSTi routing assistant (which comes up if you insert any multi-output VSTi) offers 3 typical routing setups to be established automatically, but still there are other routings possible, which is especially interesting with BFD - you can combine the Snare TopMic and BottomMic on the same audio return track, for example, but having everything else seperate. To check your VSTi routing, use the manager's "VSTi" Tab.)

Since presumably the drum MIDI channel is all the same (i.e. channel 10), then the 'Demix MIDI objects by MIDI channels (under MIDI menu) will not make any difference, but I've sometimes cloned the MIDI drum sequence to a new track and simply deleted everything BUT snares, or kick, etc.

Then, yes it's just a matter of pointing the audio channels to whatever I/O you desire.

I prefer to start out with all drums on one MIDI track with separate audio, and then just edit whichever drums I want in the MIDI editor.

If you're recording one instrument at a time, then it's easier just to use separate tracks.

Greg

p.s. note to Frank - I wish there was a way to re-merge MIDI files (preferably by even drag-n-drop) similar to Demix - such as 'Remix'. In the event that I have to offload MIDI tracks to a collaborator or producer that is using another host, it is much easier to just send them one MIDI file.

p.s. note to Frank - I wish there was a way to re-merge MIDI files (preferably by even drag-n-drop) similar to Demix - such as 'Remix'. In the event that I have to offload MIDI tracks to a collaborator or producer that is using another host, it is much easier to just send them one MIDI file.

There is a MIDI bounce command which offers two bounce methods ("all selected objects in current range" would be the remix), and also MIDI file export which will bounce the whole VIP MIDI into one MIDI file. Drag&Drop Merge would be handy, of course, but would lead to a bounce process then, too.

Greetings,

Frank