UAD Resources with multi-track

horvitz

Hello,

I'm fairly new to samplitude and am trying to work something out here. Searches haven't turned up much. I'm doing some ITB mastering work, making extensive use of UAD plugins. I have enough UAD resources available for everything I want to run on each individual object. I love how samplitude only loads the plugs necessary for the current object playback. In that way, I can have everything loaded and bounce from object to object - much better than PT!

Where I'm a little lost is on export. If I do a bounce to disk (realtime or not) or if I try to make a CD, as soon as it gets to the second object, I get a UAD message saying that there were not enough resources available and some plugins have been disabled. It would seem that in performing those functions, samplitude doesn't load/unload the plugins for each object as its processing them, but rather tries to load everything all at once.

Am I missing some function or methodology here?

Thanks,

Brian

Try this, in Sam, hit Y opening system options, under performance, try clicking "deactivate FX on empty"

Also try one UAD2 cards to select CPU affinity, and uncheck/check load lock.

But really, if you load into a project more uad plugs than the card can handle, you will get the error.

Do you get this error when you play the project from the top, thru to the end?

Try this, in Sam, hit Y opening system options, under performance, try clicking "deactivate FX on empty"

Also try one UAD2 cards to select CPU affinity, and uncheck/check load lock.

But really, if you load into a project more uad plugs than the card can handle, you will get the error.

Do you get this error when you play the project from the top, thru to the end?

Tim, thanks for the help.

I tried the "deactivate FX on empty" and it didn't help. Already had set the CPU affinity option..

Your note about playing end-to-end is interesting. If I let it play from one object to the next, I get the resource error as soon as the next one starts.. as you might expect, and just like in a bounce. But, if I use the cursor to skip from the middle of one to the middle of another, I can see on my UAD meter where it unloads the plugins from the first object and loads them from the second. Doing this, it works just fine and I can have 100% utilization in each object.

So, it seems like manually moving from one object to another causes it to only load the plugins that the current object is using and unload all others. But if you let it play through in any format from one to the next, it loads the new plugins for second object without unloading those from the first. Very interesting.

Brian

That certainly works. Kind of like how I was working in Pro Tools.. make one track inactive, and then activate the next. A little tedious, but it'll do it.

I guess I just remain curious why if I hit play on an object, I can see it load up the plugins in UAD monitor and then when I hit stop, I can see it unload. And, it only loads those plugins for the object currently playing. It's only when it plays, bounces, or whatever from one object to the next by itself that it fails to unload the plugins from the previous (however, I can definitely see it loading those from the new).

A curiosity, I suppose..

Thanks for your help, Tim.