multitrack live recording

pengy

Hi there artists!

I`m new here and would really welcome a pointer in the right direction.

I`m trying to get set up with 4 live tracks into MS 16 using an Alesis io 14 as interface. 2 track left and right are ok but can`t seem to get 4 tracks lighting up on MS 16 and can`t find help either. (my system is in German!!!). Would appreciate any help. Thanks also for your great postings.

cheers

rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome!

1. You need to make a VIP with at least 4 tracks.

2, Open the mixer by pressing ‘M’.

3. Click on the triangle on the input on top of the mixer and select mono.

4. Click again on the triangle on the input and choose input 1.

On track two you do step 3 and 4 but at step 4 you choose input 2. and so on until you have selected the 4 different inputs of the ALESIS to the tracks 1-4.

5. Click the record button on each track and your set.

Good luck,

-peter

Hi there artists!

I`m trying to get set up with 4 live tracks into MS 16 using an Alesis io 14 as interface. 2 track left and right are ok but can`t seem to get 4 tracks lighting up on MS 16 and can`t find help either. (my system is in German!!!). Would appreciate any help. Thanks also for your great postings.

cheers

rob

Hi Rob,

Welcome!

1. You need to make a VIP with at least 4 tracks.

2, Open the mixer by pressing ‘M’.

3. Click on the triangle on the input on top of the mixer and select mono.

4. Click again on the triangle on the input and choose input 1.

On track two you do step 3 and 4 but at step 4 you choose input 2. and so on until you have selected the 4 different inputs of the ALESIS to the tracks 1-4.

5. Click the record button on each track and your set.

Good luck,

-peter

Hi there artists!

cheers

rob

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your instructions. Please don`t be peeved with me. I tried but ....

When I click 3 and 4 I get no light (I`m not hooked up with the firewire, does it make a difference??)

I don`t get it when you say the triangle on the input to choose track 1. Do you mean further down on the left at "start track" OR top left at "in"?.

Where and how can I choose track 3 in point four.

I`ve also got tracks 1 and 2 assigned with left and right. Is this correct?

Many thanks and hey .... It´s Friday yeahhhh! Time for some music!

cheers

rob

Hi Rob,

On top of the mixer, on the right of the input, you can click on a little triangle that opens a drop down menu.

Select mono from that menu and the input.

You need to connect your ALESIS with a firewire cable to your computer.

Your computer needs a firewire card.

Any information about that is in the ALESIS manual.

I happened to have the same device as you have and successfully recorded several songs with it.

You even have ADAT, to expand it with 8 pre-amps.

In that case you can record up to 12 tracks simultaneously.

Read the manual and everything will work out for you :rolleyes:

-peter

Many thanks, Peter. I haven`t tried it yet. Just wanted to reply and thank you first.

I`m winning. I know I can make it work. Nobody and nuttin is gonna stop me now!

Gonna get dem lights flashing and colours on the tracks. Will report in the week.

Firewire is up and running. I`ll be looking for those little red triangles for sure!

muchos gracias

rob :P

Many thanks, Peter. I haven`t tried it yet. Just wanted to reply and thank you first.

I`m winning. I know I can make it work. Nobody and nuttin is gonna stop me now!

Gonna get dem lights flashing and colours on the tracks. Will report in the week.

Firewire is up and running. I`ll be looking for those little red triangles for sure!

muchos gracias

rob :P

see pic where to find that triangle to open the drop down menu.

post-1372-1287052312_thumb.png

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input. I`m finding out all sorts of new things but I revckon I`m doing things back to front and running before I can walk.

Another question: I want to hear myself in the headphones. Do I use the laptop phones output or the output on the alesis. I haven`t found out yet how to get the sound back into the Alesis interface so I can hear it on the speakers. I can`t hear myself on track 2 when I want to play along to track 1 either. You see, some of the simplest things I can`t get right!!! ... eeks. Can you help please. Much appreciated.

cheers

Rob

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your input. I`m finding out all sorts of new things but I revckon I`m doing things back to front and running before I can walk.

Another question: I want to hear myself in the headphones. Do I use the laptop phones output or the output on the alesis. I haven`t found out yet how to get the sound back into the Alesis interface so I can hear it on the speakers. I can`t hear myself on track 2 when I want to play along to track 1. You see some of the simplest things I can`t get right!!! ... eeks. Can you help please. Much appreciated.

cheers

Rob

Hi Peter,

Another question: I want to hear myself in the headphones. Do I use the laptop phones output or the output on the alesis. I haven`t found out yet how to get the sound back into the Alesis interface so I can hear it on the speakers. I can`t hear myself on track 2 when I want to play along to track 1. You see some of the simplest things I can`t get right!!! ... eeks. Can you help please. Much appreciated.

cheers

Rob

I PM'd you

Hey Peter,

You`re right on the button. :D:) It worked out really well thanks to your advice. It`s a really great piece of technology this little Alesis thing.

The sound we created last night was simply mind blowing with the right headphone levels and peaks and everything.

Now to put all those lyrics and tunes together to do some seeerious recording.

After so long and now it`s up and running .... brilliant feeling. Thanks man! keep you posted.

cheers

Rob