recording multiple takes

oil_can

Hello all, new user and new forum member here making the jump from SONAR 8.5 PE, trying to unlock the secret to non-destructively record multiple takes into a single track. i'm aware of take manager which lets you work with takes after they've been recorded, but it seems like i'm missing a key step in the process. any help is greatly appreciated!

-Sean

Here's how I normally do it:

1. Set your Punch In and Punch Out points so all of the created objects will be the same length (this isn't really necessary, but just keeps things nice and neat).
  2. Use Punch Record mode (click the Punch button on the Transport).
  3. If you want to record several takes repeatedly (e.g. a guitar solo), select the Loop button on the Transport. Samplitude will continue to loop, recording one take after another until you hit the Stop button.

When you are finished recording, the VIP will display the most recent take. You can Ctrl+Right click on the object to toggle between takes, or use the Take Manager to choose. Finally, you can use the Take Composer if you want to "comp" a take together using the best parts of each.

thanks for the reply!!! i'll probably skip setting the loop points, so simply engaging the punch recording mode button will allow me to record multiple takes into individual tracks without recording over previous takes?? i often track live rhythm sections and like to let them take multiple passes at the songs choosing the best take afterwards. generally dont use click tracks, i wont be comping multiple takes just choosing the one best complete take.

thanks again, already loving the sonic improvements, cant wait to establish a workflow!!

thanks for the reply!!! i'll probably skip setting the loop points, so simply engaging the punch recording mode button will allow me to record multiple takes into individual tracks without recording over previous takes?? i often track live rhythm sections and like to let them take multiple passes at the songs choosing the best take afterwards. generally dont use click tracks, i wont be comping multiple takes just choosing the one best complete take.

thanks again, already loving the sonic improvements, cant wait to establish a workflow!!

Technically, you don't even have to enable Punch recording. Samplitude's default behavior is to create a new Take any time you record audio to a track where there's already audio (an object) there. It basically just "layers" a new object on top of the old one, but the old one is still there underneath the new one. It's just not obvious, because the only object that you see is the most recent one, that's "on top".

thanks again! i'll give it another go this evening, but i thought i attempted to just record assuming Samplitude would 'layer' the takes, but when i opened take manager i didn't see more than the most recent take, that's why i was assuming there was another step i was overlooking. much appreciated!

thanks again! i'll give it another go this evening, but i thought i attempted to just record assuming Samplitude would 'layer' the takes, but when i opened take manager i didn't see more than the most recent take, that's why i was assuming there was another step i was overlooking. much appreciated!

Just be sure to click on the Object before launching the Take Manager, and it should find any takes that are "underneath" the current one. Or, like I said, just Ctrl+Right Click on the Object and you should see any takes.

Another thing that I normally do (as recommended in one of Kraznet's videos) is to check the box for "Save each take in a new file" found here: Press the Y key>System Devices>Recording>Save Each Take in a New File.

had no issues recording takes last night and accessing the various takes with the take manager, thanks very much for your help!! what's the advantage of saving

each one as a new file??

To me, it just seems cleaner. Instead of having one huge, bloated Wav file for each track that contains numerous takes, you end up with a separate file for each take on each track. And Samplitude gives each file a logical name that lets you know which is which. Also, if you ever clean up your projects using the "Remove Unused Samples", it seems like that process would be made much more simple and less prone to problems--in a lot of cases, it could simply delete the unused files, as opposed to bouncing only the portions that are used and trying to delete the rest from a contiguous file.

• 3 weeks later...

okay, starting to flow now, but for some reason i've noticed takes disappearing. for instance, in a session last night made it through 2 takes, listened back to them with the musician who was performing so he could refine his approach, and then recorded 2 more takes, and at the end of this only takes 3 and 4 could be found and viewed in the take manager. any ideas???

and are there any good books regarding samplitude?? the sonar power book did wonders for helping me with sonar, anything like that out there???

For the Take Manager to work, I believe the Start Time of each Object (Take) has to be exactly the same in the VIP timeline in order for it to recognize each Object as a Take. This is why it's a good idea to enable Punch recording when doing multiple Takes--your Start Time for each object will always be exactly the same.

Regarding the missing Takes--if you followed my recommendation to "save each take in a new file", you could go always go browse the project folder and find the specific Wav files for the missing takes and import them manually.