Onlline updates

Elf

I have my music PC offline, but I notice some people are doing Windows OS online updates of their music rigs. I wonder if there is really a point to it - it seems to be fairly well known that one of the riskiest normal functions on the net is the updating of the windows OS.

What benefits are there for updating - apart from the usual hype about anti-virus updates; which of course you don't need if you're not on the net.

:)

The most obvious reasons to update--be it a specific piece of software or even your OS, is to obtain bug fixes and/or new features. If you aren't experiencing any problems as a result of bugs, and don't need any new features, I say don't bother. And if your machine isn't connected to the internet, you don't really have to worry about security patches either.

Never really had a problem with OS updates affecting Samplitude. If its audio specific, its usually just suggested like a video driver but I wouldn't worry about the security updates and all that. I think those are safe.

I use ViSTa 64 ultimatum.

.....but I wouldn't worry about the security updates and all that. I think those are safe.

I used Linux for about 18 months, and the second most interesting thing I learned, was not to do any updates unless you are sure you need them.

The most interesting thing I learned was to use a firewall and stop everything unwanted getting in. I have been using Comodo Firewall Pro (free) for 4 years on the net, and I have not had a single virus or attack (touch wood as-we-say).

I go on the net as a user with no privileges and I have Adobe hassling me regularly to make updates - to which of course, my system gives it the old "access denied". Seems to work very well for me.

@Silent Sky - I agree: It ain't broke etc