midi vst automation in pro x

pengonoir

Hi there,

"In Samplitude Pro X every object can be adjusted with an entirely separate automation. This can also be done without any annoying menus, simply by using the mouse handles."

This quote is about Object Automation but is slightly misleading. There are two types of automation in Samplitude. Track automation and Object automation. However object automation can only be used on audio objects not midi objects.

so this is what i want to do: automate the midi vst directly while operating its own controls. how can i manage to do so? is there a tutorial? i'm really quite stuck here

If I understand you correctly are you saying you want to use an external controller to move the controls of the VSTi and also record those controller moves as automation in real time ? Or are you wishing to draw in automation manually using the mouse?

Regards

Kraznet

If I understand you correctly are you saying you want to use an external controller to move the controls of the VSTi and also record those controller moves as automation in real time ? Or are you wishing to draw in automation manually using the mouse?

i already know how to draw automation with the mouse this is not what i want. i rather want to use the controls of the midi VST itself directly to manage automation. not with an external controller (why so complicated?) but DIRECTLY by operating the VST controls with the mouse. to stick with the delay lama example: i want the automation curve to be drawn while i operate the various delay lama controls (delay lama is just an example here). so the VST controls can be used directly to build automation curves.

is there a way to do so?

Thanks for clarifying.

Press play and hold down Ctrl + Alt while you move the VSTi Control. This should write the automation data. One thing I have notced though.In ProX x32 the data updates in realtime. But in Pro X x64 using this method seems to stop the playcursor playback and realtime automation writing and the data doesn't show until you have released the modifiers (not great but works ok with other VSTi's). Must be a problem as Delay Lama as its only 32bit so the VST Bridge may be causing issues here . Nice plug-in BTW :)

Cheers

Kraznet

Ahh I think I didn't expalin clearly enough. The method I have described draws automation directly onto the MIDI track in the VIP.I will try and do a quick video which will hopefully clarify things.I haven't tried using the controller lane in the Midi editor yet for controlling parameters.

Cheers

Kraznet