Vandal bass amps VS bass pod XT

thyrdeye

Greetings

I just got Vandal and as I begin to experiment it with I wonder if anyone has compared the quality vandals bass amps VS the quality of bass sounds from the bass Pod XT. You would think that the Bass pod would be better since it is dedicated to bass. But you never know? with the advances of technology could Vandal's bass amps actually be Superior to the Bass Pod XT. I know I will do a test myself but having the opinions of experienced users who track bass guitar would be very helpful.

Thanks for your info.

Good question I think and I don't see a comparison of them on any forum anywhere.

• 1 year later...

Greetings

I just got Vandal and as I begin to experiment it with I wonder if anyone has compared the quality vandals bass amps VS the quality of bass sounds from the bass Pod XT. You would think that the Bass pod would be better since it is dedicated to bass. But you never know? with the advances of technology could Vandal's bass amps actually be Superior to the Bass Pod XT. I know I will do a test myself but having the opinions of experienced users who track bass guitar would be very helpful.

Thanks for your info.

Good question I think and I don't see a comparison of them on any forum anywhere.

I am not going to lie. I like Magix' Vandal better than any other bass amp simulation by a country mile. It destroys the Bass POD XT. Sorry to offend if you already have it. Bass POD is probably a great option for convenience for live use. But for recording, you want to get the best possible signal period. When listening to recording, people are focusing more on the sound and anything subpar can be heard over and over again.

I am not a big fan of the amp simulation in Magix Vandal but I actually purchased an SE magware (when it was still available) version just to use the bass amp simulation. It is better than the POD and others because you get better dynamic response. Its not specifically an ampeg model like the IK Ampeg SVX is but it sounds way better and more realistic. It sounds punchier, livlier, and captures your articulations well. And responds extremely well to eq.

Sascha Eversmeier, the guy that created it is a bit of a genius. He created the amps/bass amps so that the front end (preamps) and back end (cabs) had better dynamic response than what was currently available. You can really tell mostly with the cabs. Instead of going with the impulse response route, he created cab emulation using algorithms that actually captured the movement of air so that when you strum or pick or pluck the strings, the cabinet emulation responds to your playing style. Impulses are static snapshots and don't respond to dynamics in the same way. The POD's cabs were created with algorithms as well but they never bothered to model the movement of air of cabs the way Sascha did. Again, I prefer other options for guitars but for bass, Vandal is where it is at.

That's my two cents. Not too many people post in this area of the forum so take this for what it's worth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also prefer Vandal over the POD. I find it sits in the mix better & doesn't sound so "stiff".

IMO etc

I would love Sascha to continue its development.

Cheers,

Bob.

Yeah Line 6 stuff in general sounds fizzy and compressed and has no little dynamics when playing. It comes across more like a toy to me. Vandal on the other hand sounds very lively because Sascha opted for physical component modeling for all the amps, including the cabs. The bass amp sim as a result plays and responds livelier than any other amp sim out there while some of the peers using static impulses for the cabs can sound relatively flat and dull in comparison. It looks like the bass amp is an original but I'd be curious to know if it was inspired by an Ampeg or Mark Bass or Mesa Boogie or something that combines the best combinations of characteristics of each. I'd suspect the latter. But I don't need it to be called an Ampeg to know it sounds good. My two cents.

AC

It looks like the bass amp is an original but I'd be curious to know if it was inspired by an Ampeg or Mark Bass or Mesa Boogie or something that combines the best combinations of characteristics of each. I'd suspect the latter. But I don't need it to be called an Ampeg to know it sounds good. My two cents.

No, missing by a mile smile.png

By the time my ears got 'printed in', I was still in school, it was '91 or so, and I got myself a Peavey T.B. Raxx all-tube preamp as the only 'real' thing I could afford back then. Still the heart of my system, running like on its first day, caps replaced, Telefunken tubes inside (ripped from an old radio I found at the local recycling facility), driving a QSC 850 and a custom boutique 4x10 (FMC, some Germans might know that guy). I also had an SWR 220 head, where the contour control might have inspired me somewhat. At the peak of my musical endeavours (doing less these days), Ampeg was just out of reach, although I've always admired them.

That being said, the bass amp in Vandal is perhaps the one I've always wanted if it would materialize. Was just personal taste. It's that simple.

It looks like the bass amp is an original but I'd be curious to know if it was inspired by an Ampeg or Mark Bass or Mesa Boogie or something that combines the best combinations of characteristics of each. I'd suspect the latter. But I don't need it to be called an Ampeg to know it sounds good. My two cents.

No, missing by a mile smile.png

By the time my ears got 'printed in', I was still in school, it was '91 or so, and I got myself a Peavey T.B. Raxx all-tube preamp as the only 'real' thing I could afford back then. Still the heart of my system, running like on its first day, caps replaced, Telefunken tubes inside (ripped from an old radio I found at the local recycling facility), driving a QSC 850 and a custom boutique 4x10 (FMC, some Germans might know that guy). I also had an SWR 220 head, where the contour control might have inspired me somewhat. At the peak of my musical endeavours (doing less these days), Ampeg was just out of reach, although I've always admired them.

That being said, the bass amp in Vandal is perhaps the one I've always wanted if it would materialize. Was just personal taste. It's that simple.

Thanks for the correction. Whatever it was that inspired you, man you did a fantastic job! Good luck with the U-he stuff. I understand you've built quite a following for Satin on reputation alone even without the hype! Hope you and URS have some time to rest up a bit. Looking forward to those sample clips when they're available. Take care!

AC