Pro X - will not change to 48K, many crashes

Hunter Thompson

Hi Everyone

I have recently been working in a studio that used Samplitude Pro. I have been very impressed with the built in plugs and EQ, and the drum quantization is excellent. I have been a Reaper user but after working with Pro X I am very interested in trying it in my new studio setup.. I have recently upgraded my gear and part of this upgrade is to attempt to use Samplitude as my main DAW.

I have built a new PC:

Intel BX80637I73770 CORE i7 3770/3.40GHz/8MB CACHE

ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 Gen3 MB

G.Skill F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL(2x8GB)

Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB (Windows 7 64 bit)

Western Digital WD1002FAEX SATA3 1000GB 1TB 3.5" CAVIAR BLACK (Audio Drive)

2 x UAD-2 solo PCI-e

I have 3 soundcards I have been testing with, M AUDIO Delta 1010, Focusrite Saffire Pro, and an Allen & Heath ZED R16.

I have downloaded and installed the demo of Samplitude Pro X, and attempted to load some sessions and do some test recordings.

ISSUE 1 - sample rate changes

After a few days, I could no longer load the 64 bit version of Samplitude to play any VIP that was not set to 44.1 ..? I had created and played 64 bit VIP's previously, but then one day it would not. It would state that the soundcard was set to an external clock. It is not. I would open the interface of my soundcard (using the ZED) and it would show that the sample rate is greyed out - meaning something is accessing the driver and cannot be set. Earlier, I could change this, but now it seems Samplitude 64 bit is not releasing it or allowing it to change to anything but 44.1. Then 2 days later, the exact same thing has happened to Samplitude 32 bit... so now I cannot use the program at all with my ZED R16. These are sessions I created just days ago and no system changes have occurred. This does not happen with Reaper or any other audio editor currently on my system - they switch the ZED sample rate as needed immediately.. The other strange thing is that this Samplitude sample rate issue does not happen with my other two soundcards, only the ZED. So I can load these 48K sessions on my M AUDIO card, but I just got the ZED and it is meant to be the "brain" of my DAW.

VSTBridge crashes a lot, plugins seem buggy

• "Vst bridge 32" crashes every time I close Samplitude, or the samplitude.exe will crash on exit. Sometimes there are dozens of "crash" messages on exit, like every plug in instance has crashed.
  • Guitar Rig 5 shows a message in Samplitude 32 bit on loading, if there are more than 1 instances of guitar rig, it will say "there are more than 1 instances and database changes will not be saved". No other audio editor on my system has this Guitar Rig issue. This issue is NOT there in Samplitude 64 bit.
  • Some plugins wont let me play the track with space bar when the plugin GUI is the active window, have to mouse click back to waveform view and then I lose the plugin window.
  • Always need to run Samplitude as admin, or some plugins wont work.. (normal?)
  • Elastic Audio editor (pitch correct a vocal) does not work in 64 bit Samplitude, but does in 32 bit. If I try to detect audio in 64 bit Samp, it does not find anything.

Healing tracks?

Every time I heal a mono track (which 90% of my files are) it always heals as a stereo file?

I am willing to install Windows fresh (maybe try XP Pro 64 bit?) and iron out issues but this PC is only a few weeks old. Reaper is as solid as I could want it, but I have really come to like Samplitude and hope I can get it stable and talking to my devices. Thanks for any advice.

Hi There,

I'm not sure what the problem is with regard to the the sample rate using the Allen and Heath. As I don't have one of those units I can't really help you I'm afraid. Although I think there are one or two users of the ZED R16 on the forum. Here's one thread discussing it although not your particular problem.

http://support2.magix.net/boards/samplitude//index.php?showtopic=28003&hl=%20allen%20%20&st=0

It may be worth pm'ing Matthias from that thread as I know he has one in his studio.

"Vst bridge 32" crashes every time I close Samplitude, or the samplitude.exe will crash on exit. Sometimes there are dozens of "crash" messages on exit, like every plug in instance has crashed.

There were problems with the VST bridge in earlier beta versions but it seems a lot more stable now. What version is the demo you're trying out? Or is it your friends version?

Guitar Rig 5 shows a message in Samplitude 32 bit on loading, if there are more than 1 instances of guitar rig, it will say "there are more than 1 instances and database changes will not be saved". No other audio editor on my system has this Guitar Rig issue. This issue is NOT there in Samplitude 64 bit.

I can't help you with that one as I only have Guitar Rig 4 and I rarely use it although when I have used it I have noticed I sometimes get an error message relating to guitar rig DLL when closing Samplitude.

Some plugins wont let me play the track with space bar when the plugin GUI is the active window, have to mouse click back to waveform view and then I lose the plugin window.

Yes this has been a constant bugbear of mine during beta testing. Some plug-ins allow you to use the spacebar when they are in focus and others don't. They seem to have sorted out the majority of issues with the MAGIX native plug-ins but I have noticed with certain VST plug-ins there are still problems. Can you list the plug-ins which are causing problems? Then I can compile a list.

Always need to run Samplitude as admin, or some plugins wont work.. (normal?)

I wouldn't know about that as all the computers I use have my own admin rights. Although I did have an issue with M Tron Pro recently and I couldn't load it. It turned out to be because I had UAC enabled after doing a fresh OS reinstall. Disabling that solved the problem. Although not an ideal solution if you want to use UAC.

Elastic Audio editor (pitch correct a vocal) does not work in 64 bit Samplitude, but does in 32 bit. If I try to detect audio in 64 bit Samp, it does not find anything.

It is definitely detecting audio here in the latest version at least. Yry this. Open elastic audio and under the View options tick "open in mode direct" and see if that helps next time you try to use it.

Healing tracks?

Every time I heal a mono track (which 90% of my files are) it always heals as a stereo file?

When Samplitude is open Press Y on the keyboard and under Effects > Resampling/Bouncing tick "Keep mono if possible".That might help.

I am willing to install Windows fresh (maybe try XP Pro 64 bit?) and iron out issues but this PC is only a few weeks old.

I don't think it's a problem with your Windows install and I wouldn't bother with XP Pro as that could lead you into different issues.

If you're using the Samplitude demo there should be an auto update option under the help menu. So maybe you should try checking you have the latest update.

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks for your reply. I am indeed using a Samplitude installer from the studio I have been working at, in demo mode.

I was not sure if this is able to be updated, I will download and install an updated version from the Magix website and see if these issues persist.

I will be back in the studio tomorrow and will report.

Happy to report: I decided to download the newest demo installer from MAGIX, and dedicated some time to doing a fresh Windows 7 install.

I am slowly building up all my applications and plugins, and checking the performance each step of the way.

Thus far it has not shown any of the issues I had before - opening 48K projects, very low ASIO buffers and the Elastic Audio seems to be fine.

I will continue to install my plugins and see if anything creates a bottleneck - but I am now getting much lower DPC figures.

Once all my plugins installed I can load the actual projects that were problematic last time and compare.

• 2 weeks later...