Upgading from Producer 11.5 - questions

Scott473

It's time I finally upgrade to the real thing - Pro X. Producer 11.5 has been pretty good but it's getting old with no multi-core and no 64 bit support. I was honestly thinking about just getting Music Studio 2014. However I don't think that even comes with Revolta 2 anymore and my previous experience with the very buggy consumer level Music Studio MX made me think I should spend the extra and get the pro product that SHOULD be a lot more solid and better supported. Opinions are welcome on that supposition.

I have a few questions before upgrading. Hopefully you all can answer.

-- I will be running Pro X on an i7 with 8G ram which I assume should be good to start with?

-- I know Pro X has a built-in bridge for running 32 bit VST's. How well does that work? I have some favorite synths that are only 32 bit and would like to continue using them.

-- It seems everytime I buy another Magix product the selection of Magix Synths changes which is frankly rather annoying. The Pro X bundle I'm looking at also comes with Music Maker Premium 2014. Will Pro X actually locate and use the Music Maker synths inside Pro X? Music Studio MX for instance found synths in Producer 11.5 and added them to it's internal synth list. Or will Pro X just ignore Music Maker? I really don't have much interest in Music Maker except for the sound files and the extra synths so I probably won't be using it.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

-- I will be running Pro X on an i7 with 8G ram which I assume should be good to start with?

That should be fine although if you are using massive sample libraries 16gb would be better in the long run.

-- I know Pro X has a built-in bridge for running 32 bit VST's. How well does that work? I have some favorite synths that are only 32 bit and would like to continue using them

From my experience I would say the 32 bit bridge works pretty well although I haven't tested all 32-bit synth/plug-ins. Which ones in particular

are you talking about?

-- It seems everytime I buy another Magix product the selection of Magix Synths changes which is frankly rather annoying. The Pro X bundle I'm looking at also comes with Music Maker Premium 2014. Will Pro X actually locate and use the Music Maker synths inside Pro X? Music Studio MX for instance found synths in Producer 11.5 and added them to it's internal synth list. Or will Pro X just ignore Music Maker? I really don't have much interest in Music Maker except for the sound files and the extra synths so I probably won't be using it.

This is a bit of a annoying subject I agree. MAGIX have a habit of adding synths to to the the various non-pro versions but not adding them to Samplitude. Consequently when you open a project which was created in Music Maker or Music Studio the synths won't be recognised.

Although I did some testing with Music Studio 2014 late last year and I found that you could actually copy the synths to

C:\ProgramData\MAGIX\Samplitude_Pro_X_Suite\MxSynth

and they would then show up so they could be used in Samplitude.although Samplitude lacks the handy preset list which comes with the non-consumer versions. The only one which didn't work was the newish analogue synth they've created. Although I didn't try creating a song in Music Studio 2014 and then opening it up in Samplitude. But I guess I could try that although I need to reinstall Music Studio 2014 as I've just built a new computer. I will mention this cross compatibility issue to MAGIX as it's time it was addressed once and for all.

Good luck anyway

Kraznet

Kraznet,

Thanks for the input. I have tried copying synths as you have and found that SOMETIMES it works and other times no dice. When a customer has more than one Magix product installed ALL resources like Soundpools and synths SHOULD be available to each product. With a great synth like Revolta 2 one can design some great sounds and then "upgrade" to find the synth no longer available in the new product even though it's still installed on the machine! That's just not okay.

Speaking of Revolta 2, that is a really great synth. I have seen DNe1 on the web site but it doesn't look like it's even in the same class. What's your opinion?

As for 32 bit synths. As an example, I only have a 32 bit version of Zebra CM at this point. U-he's stuff is amazing so I wouldn't want to lose that. I don't know if some of Urz other older synths like Nexus are available in 64 bit either.

Every product has it's share of bugs and I found many in Studio MX (like a completely broken hardware controller setup) but as mentioned Producer 11.5 seems to work fairly well. Has Pro X gotten to a pretty stable point? I would hate to step backward even with the multicore support.

I gather the old dongle licensing approach is dead and Pro X now uses online registration. Is this correct? I assume I can install on a desktop and a laptop?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I have tried copying synths as you have and found that SOMETIMES it works and other times no dice. When a customer has more than one Magix product installed ALL resources like Soundpools and synths SHOULD be available to each product. I'm glad we agree on this.

I agree everything should be compatible between programs. Your post prompted me to do some tests. I don't have Producer 11.5 but I do have a copy of Samplitude Music Studio 2014. I created a quick midi project using some of their virtual instruments like Vita brass, Vita organ, Vita guitar etc and the new DN-e1 synth. I saved the project and tried to open it in Samplitude Pro X and as expected none of the instruments were recognised. This is somewhat misleading because if you go to the menu in SMS 2014 there is an entry saying "upgrade to Samplitude" then a splash screen opens saying "for all who want more" OK you are indeed getting more with regards to the more pro features of Samplitude Pro X but you are also losing out on compatibility with some of your old projects.So anyone who's been working in SMS 2014 will be disappointed if they have used the Vita instruments and hope to use the same ones in Pro X. ( although it's worth noting that the non-specific Vita instruments are recognised in Samplitude Pro X) As I mentioned it is possible to copy the SMS 2014 instruments into the Samplitude folder but this is a workaround and shouldn't be needed. Anyway I have sent a long email with an accompanying video to MAGIX support expressing my opinions about this lack of compatibility so hopefully they will finally do something about it.

I have seen DNe1 on the web site but it doesn't look like it's even in the same class. What's your opinion?

I've only really tried it a few times and briefly at that but my initial impressions were positive.

Has Pro X gotten to a pretty stable point? I would hate to step backward even with the multicore support.

Samplitude Pro X is definitely very stable now as it should be considering it's been around for a couple of years and has had numerous bug fixes.

I gather the old dongle licensing approach is dead and Pro X now uses online registration. Is this correct? I assume I can install on a desktop and a laptop?

You can still choose to use it with the dongle if you buy the boxed version but you also have the choice of using serial type authorisation. This allows you up to 3 installs on different computers.

With regard to your decision I would suggest downloading the demo of SMS 2014 and checking out because it has multicore support and you may find it suitable for your needs for time being. http://dl03.magix.net/trial_sms2014_dlm.exe

Then maybe when the next version of Samplitude Pro X arrives (probably not for several months) the cross compatibility problems will be solved. I will certainly lobby for them to be fixed.

Regards

Kraznet

Incidentally I just checked and SMS 2014 does have Revolta 2 included.

vkuf.jpg

Regards

Kraznet

It seems odd that SMS would include both Revolta 2 AND DN-e1. Here is the list on the website? Why would Magix leave Revolta 2 off the list?

http://www.magix.com/us/samplitude-music-studio/detail/

...although Samplitude lacks the handy preset list which comes with the non-consumer versions.

I didn't follow the above comment. What preset list are you referencing? Is this someting only found in Pro X?

As stability is the priority with the Pro product line I understand that features are often floated in the consumer products first but common!... that preset list has been in for a WHILE. It is in Producer 11.5 which is from 2011! I would expect Pro X would ONLY be a superset of Producer 11.5.

Of course the other side of that is that support for the consumer products has in my experience been thin so even with new features there may be too many bugs that often don't get fixed before the next consumer Studio iteration comes along.

I think I'm still leaning toward the Pro version just for that reason.

PS - Thanks for the visual illustration of what you meant. The time you take to help others is seldom seen on ANY board.

If I order the Pro boxed version does that still come with the dongle? I hate those things. If that's the case I will go with the download version.

If I order the Pro boxed version does that still come with the dongle? I hate those things. If that's the case I will go with the download version.

I think the Pro boxed version does contain a dongle but it's still possible to authorise Pro X it using the serial number without having the dongle plugged in. So using the dongle is optional akaik. I'm guessing your Stateside? If so contact Tim Dolbear (MAGIX North America) for confirmation of this.

Regards

Kraznet

Thanks for the info I will contact Tim.

By the way... When you asked about 32bit VST's I use I wasn't even thinking about my SampleTank stuff. I have purchased SampleTank 2 XL, Miroslav, SampleMoog, etc... most of the IK collection including many Xpansion tanks. I don't think any of them have 64 bit versions. I would hate to lose all those great sounds. Hopefully they work well with Pro X in 32 bit bridge mode. Any idea about this?

I have purchased SampleTank 2 XL, Miroslav, SampleMoog, etc... most of the IK collection including many Xpansion tanks. I don't think any of them have 64 bit versions. I would hate to lose all those great sounds. Hopefully they work well with Pro X in 32 bit bridge mode.

I have those as well and didn't have any problem using in them 32 bit mode with the VST bridge. It's worth noting though that Sampletank 3 is due to be released in the very near future which will be fully 64-bit. Apparently all the Miroslav, Samplemoog libraries etc will be compatible with this new version.so basically Sampletank 3 or be a one-stop shop for all the libraries.

Regards

Kraznet

Kraznet,

Thanks for all the info. I ordered Pro X after Tim answered a couple questions about the package. Looking forward to getting it setup.

Thanks,

Scott

Kraznet,

Thanks for all the info. I ordered Pro X after Tim answered a couple questions about the package. Looking forward to getting it setup.

Thanks,

Scott

Great news Scott I'm glad you got it sorted out. Which version are you getting Samplitude Pro X or Samplitude Pro X Suite?

Regards

Kraznet

It's a bundle with Pro X, AM Suite Plus and Music Maker Premium 2014. Aside from the full 70G Independence library and Vandal I think it's almost the Pro X Suite. I have about 40G of nice samples with my Sample Tank library so I'm not stressing over not having the full Independence lib and I'm not really into Vandal for keyboard work.