K System

irvin

Been reading on the K System championed by famed engineer Bob Katz - but I can't really make much of it. So, Here I am, soliciting the opinions of those who have tried it or read about it.

While I can't dispute its value or 'soundness' (pun intended), my feeling is that it amounts to determining a point of reference for a listening volume so that you always shoot for it. To be honest, it seems - to me - that it's quite convoluted and too much work when the exact same results can be achieved with judicious mixing/mastering practices and much less effort. But that's just my feeling and I may be totally wrong.

Not trying to start a debate on the merits of the K System. Only want other people's perspective.

• 3 weeks later...

The K-System has sort of re-educated me. I´m much easier on the signals, leaving much more dynamic and still have enough punch in the mixes. I don´t even need the metering as such any more, I always seem to end up within the "parameters" without their visual help, which I can see when I doublecheck in the end with the metering. A fine thing in my opinion, as long as you learn how to use it for your specific taste and/or needs.

R

Matt

Sure, do not mix on meters, trust your ears! The K-System was an important step toward EBU R128 standard (based on ITU BS.1770 / 1771). Bob is working as a member of the EBU-PLOUD group which is responsible for the R128. I would say the R128 has replaced the K-Metering (but actually it is also not so different). You will find the whole public and free standard here: https://tech.ebu.ch/loudness . Maybe you miss the monitor level calibration in the current release (2.0) of the R128 - 3343 compared to the K-System yet. Far as I know, the monitor level is important when you mix with it several hours on every day or when you have to switch between studios. Then you need similar listening conditions. The so called Loudness is needed when it comes to distribution and audio exchange. There it helps to bring all audio clips to an homogeneous perception level. Therefore you need a measurement standard. The intention of Bob was to NOT turn off your ears and stare at the peak meter and raise up the gain and compressors and limiters until there is no amplitude below 0dB. If you like to mix by ears - his very good book is your friend :-)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.