Samplitude Pro X3 VST2 Folder assignment

byxx

Dear Community,

where to assign the correct Plugin folders? The VST2  Plugin Folder is not assigned properly, where Melodyne is to be found after its installation..

Does Samplitude loose the ARA Melodyne Plugin when I work on in the project without  the previously loaded ARA/Melodyne when I resave? I already did Melodyne editing a lot in the project.

It got lost after several crashes.

THX

BX

vst2_samp.png

Those are the correct default plugin folders for 64-bit VST2 and VST3 plugins.

Perhaps Melodyne did not want to install to those for some reason? I always change any installer wanting to do otherwise to install in those defaults.

I have Melodyne Studio, but do not remember it trying to install elsewhere. Just click the little folder on the right and add the folder Melodyne used, or move its DLL file to VSTPlugins.

Terry

Dear Terry,.

I have a VST2 Folder in Applications>Common Files>...etc.

It does not matter as I upgraded to X4 where you can customize VST Folders in the preferences manually 

My question for x3 would point to informations how to customize PlugInFolders  incdependent of Samps internal assignments if there were restrictive choices from the DAW only

THX

BX.

First, although you have your folder in Applications/Common Files, that is not the standard location where most plugins you purchase will install themselves. So be certain to include both in Samplitude's search paths by using the folder-icon at the right and browsing to each folder where you will keep plugins. Every time you browse to a folder and scan it, that folder is added to Samplitude's internal list.

I highly recommend against mixing 32-bit and 64-bit plugins in the same folder. If you have some old 32-bit plugins, place them in a separate folder labeled clearly, like VSTPlugins32.

Terry

Windows installers do some strange things and place plugins to a lot of locations. Some companies even recommend the Common Files Folder and place VST2/VST3 here by default. But there is no overall standard, I guess. X4 does it good for now. However, manual replacement and search of 3rdParty-PlugIns seems to be a regular task in 21st century music production. I have to admit that these amounts of organisation never ocurred in OSX trying to get the best out of WIN.

THX

BX

4 minutes ago, byxx said:

Windows installers do some strange things and place plugins to a lot of locations. Some companies even recommend the Common Files Folder and place VST2/VST3 here by default. But there is no overall standard, I guess. X4 does it good for now.

THX

BX

Yes, come to think of it as I am reading that, it does come to mind that I think Melodyne wants to install into Common Files. I likely changed it right away during the installation as it struck me as an odd place to put it, but then again all VST3 instruments go into Common Files by default universally now. The Program Files\VSTPlugins or Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins folders are far more typical for VST2 items that I've seen.

Terry

Hey Terry,

I try not to move plugs too much, but may be I am wrong. I have spotted some locations which are pretty common and add these to Sequoia/ Samp. This practice on the other side leads to doublings of some PlugIns, which is not ideal for the look of the menues, too. Sometimes you see a Plugin inside a company folder plus an additional "(VST3)" Version in the pop ups etc.

When I am really sure about deleting, I barely delete Plugs from a folder manually. After all the 3rd party Windows System feels a bit dated. Too many folders/locations/bit-Versions etc to have an eye on.

I added Seq/Samp production to my DAW choices being experienced longer in OSX and have to dig in on best possible plugin-management more over time.

THX
BX

What I've done for my DAWs is I've moved ALL my plugins into folders named for the type of plugin they are, and all those folders reside within Program Files\VSTPlugins. That grants me a beautiful menu organization that crosses among all the DAWs. I always manually select the folder I want the 64-bit plugin installed into when running the installers. I do not use 32-bit plugins at all, and let them be installed wherever it wants, because I do not show my DAWs those folders, eliminating duplicate names. I've done this for several years now, inspired by a video by Tim Dolbear I embed below.

Terry

ThX, will try. great structuring idea by the way. You dont use VST3 or VST2 folders, as they might have some aspects to be independently used?

Maybe they merge or intefere in a way with the vst plugs. Nothing to take care of in that dimension?

THX

BX