asio and v7

Guest robison

Guest robison

i just ordered v7 from x vision and i have been playing with the demo untill they get their next shipment. i have no experiance with asio and need all the help i can get. when i try to monitor software fx, i can only monitor inputs 1 3 5 7 or 2 4 6 8. (delta 1010) monitor software will alloy for 8 mono channels(12345678). is this normal? if a vocal was on channel one and a horn on channel two you wouldnt want to monitor with the same fx, eq ,etc.! is monitor software fx for stereo channels only, like live input mode? also how should i set the vip buffer ? should it match the sample buffer in my sound card? i have been "a/b ing" samp 6.05 & v7 demo, and dont really see any great prefomance boost with asio. i still do my major tracking on reel to reel and edit and mix down in samp. i was mostly interested in asio for latency with outboard reverbs during final mixes . mme and wdm perfomed excellent in 6.05 less than 2.7ms. should i expect better with asio? is asio geared more for vstis? i know i need to upgrade my computer but all has been rock solid with 6.0 thru 6.05. p3 800 512 ram . any help or suggestions for settings ,ada, pc, would be greatly appreciated.

i hpoe this forum is as informative as the "old" sekd was/is. it really helped me in learning this fine product and kept me loyal to samp during all the changes thanks in advance, paul

The VIP buffer is different from the ASIO buffer. Some internal effects need a higher VIP buffer for processing and a low CPU load, but the value depends also from the system power. XP and Win2000 allow lower buffers than Win 98/ME. Values from 2000-4000 should be the best in most cases.

With ASIO drivers the ASIO buffer defines the I/O latency and allows VSTi and audio monitoring with/without fx in V7. This means, if you want to route external equipment (besides the old live input mode) in the V7 mixer, you need ASIO monitoring with lowest possible buffers. The latency value depends from your system power and the used audio hardware. Some cards reach lower buffers and produce a lower CPU load (e.g. RME Hammerfall). The ASIO protocol has some limitations: It allows only one driver (=one card in most cases) and one sample clock for all I/Os at the same time. ASIO Input channels are organized in stereo pairs, so you can only record on one track at the same time with the same input pair (1+2). If you want to record and monitor different audio sources with different effects, you must route the signals to different tracks (=stereo input pairs).

regards

Norman

• 1 month later...

i have version 6.0 still. will it support ASIO or something like the Delta 1010 or 1010LT? i'm lloking to buy one or the other, but not if they don't work with samp. thanks.

Guest Norman

Samplitude 6.05 supports no ASIO driver, but MME and WDM drivers. The Delta series has also WDM drivers and work with Samplitude 6.05.

Samplitude 7 supports ASIO, MME and WDM drivers and works also with the Delta series.

regards

Norman