Controller question before upgrading to V7

Guest Thomas Granzow

Guest Thomas Granzow

Hi there,

I'e asked this question several times already at the SEKD forum but never got an answer. I'm trying to use a Korg 168 RC Digital mixer als Midi control for Samp 7. All tryouts on the 7.0 demo version failed, is there any possibility of manual configuration or is it a restriction of the demo version ?

As this topic is extremely important on the decision whether I upgrade to V7 or not I'l appreciate an answer of Volker or Norman.

Thanx,

Thomas

All tryouts on the 7.0 demo version failed, is there any possibility of manual configuration or is it a restriction of the demo version ?

It´s a restriction of the demo version. 7.01 comes with a template for own controllers.

I don´t know, how the Korg 168RC communicates with MIDI messages, but it should be possible from the specs.

You can do a quick test: Copy your MC control panel file (Controlpanels\Mackie Control.cps) and rename it to Korg168RC.cps.

Start the demo and open the Control Panel dialog ("Y", MIDI options, Hardware Controller Setup).

Choose Korg168RC (renamed file name) and the right MIDI I/Os connected with your device.

- Click the "activate control" checkbox.

You should see now incoming MIDI data in the value fields of the dialog, if you press a button or move a fader on your Korg.

- Now you can choose a feature from the controller listbox (e.g. Mute 1).

- Click "Forget" (the template forgets the assigned setting) and press the button on your Korg, wich should control this feature (e.g. Mute 1).

- Click "Learn" to make it the new assignment.

That´s all.

7.01 has more options.

Good luck

Norman

Guest Thomas Granzow

Thanks Norman,

I tried it out with the Mackie Setup the last days and I saw incoming Midi data while using faders and buttons of the Korg console. I will now try it on your suggestions.

Regards,

Thomas

Stop, I´ve got a better idea. You should use the clean template file - it´s part of the 7.01 patch, but you can download it here: Download Controller Template - for other controller adaptions.

You don´t need to use the "forget" button with this file and avoid some possible problems with adapting the MC template to another controller.

regards

Norman

Guest Thomas Granzow

Thanks Volker, as I said I already see incoming Midi Data in Sampliutde while moving the Korg's faders & buttons, but the faders of Samp do not move as it is a demo restriction; but if I understood you right the use of a controller is then fully supported by the new 7.01 demo ?

Regards,

Thomas Granzow

I already see incoming Midi Data in Sampliutde while moving the Korg's faders & buttons, but the faders of Samp do not move

If the controller dialog is open, no incoming MIDI data will reach Samplitudes faders. Faders can only move, if they get the signal after the learning process. The 7.0 demo has some limitations, but after closing the dialog and open the mixer with 8 tracks, Samplitudes faders should move to the incoming data.

I have to add: you must select the fader (e. g. fader 1) in the listbox - move your fader on the control all the way down and hold it there with the finger. Don´t release it, if the fader is touch sensitive (you can see it, if another midi message will be sent at the fader release). Now click "Learn" with the other hand in the dialog, save the template and try it in the mixer window.

regards

Norman

Guest upstartmusic@msn.com

Norman,

I've got a Roland VM7100 digital mixer coming soon, and I've already heard from Samp support that the VM7100 is not 'officially' supported, but is there a chance I can get some control functions by following the process you described above for the Korg owner?

thanks!

JOHN GUIDRY

www.umprecordingstudio.com

I've got a Roland VM7100 digital mixer coming soon, and I've already heard from Samp support that the VM7100 is not 'officially' supported, but is there a chance I can get some control functions by following the process you described above for the Korg owner?

The process should work with all MIDI controllers. I don´t know, how the VM7100 transmittes and receives MIDI data, but there is a good chance to get it to work. Just give it a try with the template. If you don´t own Samplitude and the current patch, there are some limitations with the demo version.

regards

Norman

Guest upstartmusic@msn.com

Thanks Norman, I'll give that a shot. I'm a 6.0 owner, but I've been using 5.92 because 6.0 gave me too much trouble. I've been with samplitude since at least 2.52.....!

JOHN

www.umprecordingstudio.com

Nice studio John.

Unfortunately the new enhanced controller support is only available in 7.0 and especially adapted for the Mackie/Logic Control. The current patch brings some bugfixes and new improvements (list on www.samplitude.com), but they are not available in a demo version yet. We will see more features and support of the Mackie Control Extender (XT) and C4 soon. HUI and other controllers are planned. With the empty template it should be possible to get every MIDI controller to work on the supported features. Users can adapt and learn favorite controllers and share the result with a simple file.

regards

Norman

Guest Thomas Granzow

Hey Norman,

the Korg works fine as control for Samplitude, thanks for your hints, they really worked out well; when I've set it up completely I'd provide the Korg template for you if you're interested.

Thanks a lot again, this made me an easy decision whether I upgrade or not :-),

Thomas Granzow