Room Simulator Impulses

Guest M Quayle

Guest M Quayle

Hi. I'm looking long and hard at migrating to Samplitude 7, and one thing could end up being the deal maker or breaker for me. I have collected, over time, I huge number of impulses for Sonic Foundries Acoustic Mirror. Is there any way of using these impulses with the Samp room simulator, or is there an app that can convert them? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Guest M Quayle

Thanks for your feedback Tony - much appreciated. I don't suppose there IS a way to hear the Samp impulses in action? 999€ is a heck of a lot of money for me - I need to be sure that what I am spending it on is going to deliver. <_<

Thanks again,

Mike.

A method to hear and check the Room Simulator with the Sam 7 demo in realtime preview:

1) Install the demo; when the installation is over, Samplitude will start

2) Type "Y" ; a windows will appear >>> set the "Driver System" to what kind of driver you're using >>> and then go to Program option

3) Set the "Preview Time" to 60 seconds, close the window by clicking "OK"

4) Go to File and Import audio; choose a wave you want to test the reverb with (a simple snare or a more complex one); choose wave project or RAM project (Ram project is in Ram, and Wave project will be written in a choosen directory)

5) When you see the waveform on your screen, select the part of the wave you want to check by clicking and dragging from left to right or right to left

6) Go to Effects >>> Room simulator; the Room Simulator window will appear on screen

7) Choose an impulse, for example "Cathedral 1 - 4s - wide natural.WAV"

8 ) You can modify some parameters if you want

9) Now click on "play/stop": you will hear the reverb in realtime preview with a maximum of 60 seconds preview. The preview is looped. Have fun and check all that you want to check in the Room Simulator window...

Cheers,

Grok

Guest Norman

For best results with Samplitudes room simulator, it´s recommended, to use high resolution impulses, produced in float. Most impulses on the web are 16 bit and produced with the bad dirac impulse method (1 sample shot), wich has a naturally degradation effect, resulting in a low resolution. Recorded impulses have a low level, -30 and more dB below 0. This means recorded impulses have a bad S/N and also don´t capture the original frequency spectrum of the device or room. These impulses are good enough, to see the advantages of the convolution process, but are far from optimum and also not close enough to the original device or room.

So we´ve developed an improved procedure. Nearly all V7 impulses were created in a special process for best quality and original reproduction of the used device or room. The process allows to capture the original sound with an extremely high S/N. Maybe it will sound strange, but the resulting S/N ratio is much higher, than the S/N ratio of the original device.

For example: an old 480L has a bad S/N. The noisefloor caused by old A/D & D/A converters and the internal analog technic is high. Our process can increase the ratio of the 480L or any other reverb unit automatically to a phenomenal value, not reachable, if you use the original device.

Another example: In a real room you can speak words during the recording process or open and close a door, without an audible influence to the result. We are using also a special file format for best results in the realtime room simulator.

That means - and all users will agree - the included V7 impulses are best quality. We have used only high end devices (Lexicon, TC and others) and real top quality rooms. V7 Professional comes with 490 MB impulses for all possible production situations. Drum, vocal, theatre, concert, ambience, guitar and church reverbs. Registered users can now also download new produced impulses from the original presets of the M3000. More impulses are in preparation. This will be a permanent service for our registered users.

regards

Norman

P.S.: Sonic Foundry impulses have an encrypted special format, not convertable with other audio software, so I´am afraid, these impulses are not usable with Samplitudes room simulator.

Guest ChrisA

do the "new" m3000 impulses coming with sam7 differ from the ones one could already download from the samplitude website?

@norman: does your new method for impulse creation have a name? ;-)

i've seen different methods on the net.

Guest Norman
do the "new" m3000 impulses coming with sam7 differ from the ones one could already download from the samplitude website?

Yes. The old (bad) and new TC M3000 impulses differ from the Samplitude CD impulses. The impulses in the registered user area are produced with the exact presets of the device.

does your new method for impulse creation have a name?

MAGIX impulse response generation.

regards

Norman

Guest peripatitis

Hi i am also concidering to crossgrade to samplitude 7 , but i have a question regarding the room simulator.

is it possible to import wave files as impulse responses but to be used for filtering purposes and not for reverb.

Basicaly i think that the convulution theory regards reverb also to be a kind of filtering , but will those efforts be translated well to the samplitudes room simulator?

Guest Norman
is it possible to import wave files as impulse responses but to be used for filtering purposes and not for reverb.

Basicaly i think that the convulution theory regards reverb also to be a kind of filtering , but will those efforts be translated well to the samplitudes room simulator?

Yes, convolution works not only in the time domain, but also in the frequency domain. Convolution combines in fact two vectors to give a third vector. If the first vector is an acoustic signal and the second is the impulse response of a filter setting, the resulting convoluted signal is filtered.

Samplitudes room simulator includes also a phase linear FFT equalizer for a frequency processing of the used impulse response.

If you want to use an impulse response of an EQ, you should know, it´s only possible, to use Samplitudes convolution for a special "snapshot" of the filter setting, without produced non-linear distortions. But these distortions, wich produce upper tones, makes the typical and desired sound character of some analoge devices (tube EQs & Compressors). A simulation of such distortions should be only possible with a process, called dynamic convolution. But this is not possible inside a computer yet.

regards

Norman