Mackie Control

Guest RGD

Ok, I'm ready to upgrade to 7.0 and get a Mackie Control, but I want them to work together perfectly when I do. Are we there yet, or at least, will we be at the end of the month with the release of 7.1?

Thx, RD

Guest Norman

Perfectly is a very subjective term. There are a lot of new ideas for upcoming implementations, but you can see a list of all currently supported features on www.samplitude.com. There are still some problems in the implementation concept - e.g. the control is not independent from the mixer and it´s not possible yet, to use the XT at the same time - but I think it´s a pleasure to work with the MC & Sam combo, especially the jog wheel positioning/range drawing or the marker control are very useful.

regards

Norman

Norman, Thanks for the reply.

"There are still some problems in the implementation concept - e.g. the control is not independent from the mixer"

Can you please explain this? I wouldn't expect that the screen mixer and the control surface should be independent. I would expect that the MC writes to, and reads from Samps mixer, and that anything you do on one effects the other. If I move a fader on the MC, I should see the corresponding fader move concurrently in Samps mixer, and vice-versa. If I record a fader movement, I should see both screen fader and MC fader move together upon playback of that timecode range.

Yes, perfect is a subjective word, and I fully appreciate that the Samplitude development team has concentrated on, and nearly perfected audio recording and mixing, with midi always taking a back seat. The MC interface is a MIDI implementation, and I can understand where the Samp dev team is on the curve in relation to companies who have added audio to a MIDI sequencer. All I really expect at this point is that the faders, pans, mutes, Aux sends, Eq gain, tracknames, track arming, and transport implementation be solid and not buggy. I'm less concerned about a long feature list than that these rudementry functions be solidly implemented, and usable for a 48 track mix via 8 bank flipping or channel scrolling.

I do plan on adding a couple of Xt's over the next year, so I would also like some reassurance that they will be supported in the not too distant future.

Thanks, RD

Guest Norman
Can you please explain this? I wouldn't expect that the screen mixer and the control surface should be independent. I would expect that the MC writes to, and reads from Samps mixer, and that anything you do on one effects the other. If I move a fader on the MC, I should see the corresponding fader move concurrently in Samps mixer, and vice-versa.

This is easy and works very good, the MC is linked to the mixer controls. The MC mirrors the mixer tracks on the screen. But these integration concept needs some compromises, if the mixer is not open and you want to replace the Samplitude mixer with the MC and work only in the project window. Since the MC has only 8 tracks, it´s a good choice, to show (or hide) the Samplitude mixer also with 8 tracks and the project with a multiple of 8 (24, 32, 40). Otherwise the MC scrolling can be sometimes a little bit confusing, if the mixer scroller hits the right corner and the MC thinks, there must be some more channels. Easy solution: Insert more empty tracks in the project.

Another minor problem: Now we have a multi track EQ/Aux concept. Every VPot controls a feature of one of the 8 MC tracks, but EQ and Aux controls need a channel strip concept (8 VPots for 8 auxes of the same track), to avoid to much clicking on the MC.

The XT and C4 will be supported in the near future. The only problem at the moment is the single controller restriction (only one MIDI controller device in the control panel).

You can check the MC supported feature list: http://support.magix.net/sam/de/mc.php

We have some users with the MC&SAM combo in their daily work. Maybe somebody can report some experiences.

regards

Norman