Intel Centrino CPU

jmwhitmer

Anybody heard anything about this CPU? Supposedly, a 1.6 GHz Intel Centrino beats the pants off a PIV 2.2 GHz. 4 to 6 times the battery life on a laptop, too.

It's allegedly built on a reduced instruction set, but optimized for audio/video. Of course, "audio/video" might mean .mp3 and .avi files, not 24 bit .wav files.

I'm asking, because I'm about to replace my PIII 1.2 laptop with a PIV 2.2 GHz. Toshiba is now offering the Centrino laptop, and the salesman at Toshiba told me about it. He doesn't know much more than what I'm posting, and he suggested that I ask around.

Volker and crew...any thoughts on running 7.x Pro on the Centrino vs. the PIV 2.2 GHz CPU?

Just ordered 7.x the other day...it should be here today or tomorrow!

Cross-post confesssion: I'm going to post this on the old alt.sekd.com board, too.

Guest Guest_jmwhitmer

What, nobody? Surely somone out there knows something about this new CPU. It boasts 1 MB of L2 cache, and the bus speed is 400 MHz. It supports up to 2 GB of DDR RAM. It evidently uses either an optimized or reduced instruction set.

I'm trying to decide between one of these or a 2.2 GHz P4.

Guest Norman

We haven´t tested a Centrino against an P4 Northwood mobile PC yet, but I´am sure a reduced feature set and a lower clock speed results in less Samplitude performance. Running a complex Samplitude arrangment with room simulator and some tracks need a lot of clock power. It´s not a simple video or music file playback.

Centrino looks promising, but it´s not a simple CPU, it´s a complete technology package, only available for customized mobile PCs. It´s a CPU (Pentium-M = Mobile) with a special chipset (i855 with/without graphic) and a wireless LAN adapter (11 oder 54 MBit/s). Don´t know how it works in a permanent run on the limit or with low latency. It should also run with your audio interface. Maybe you can do a quick test at your dealer, we are also curious.

regards

Norman

Thanks, Norman. I suspected that nothing would beat the raw horsepower and clock speed of a genuine P4/2.2 GHz CPU for running Samplitude.

I wish I could test between the two at a dealer, but I'm buying directly from Toshiba. They don't have the Centrino machines in yet, either. It should be about 30 days.

While I'm at it...version 7 professional came in yesterday! I'm waiting until I get a new machine before I authorize, but is there any way to get my membership to the version 7 discussion group now?

Thanks!

Guest Norman

No, sorry. The registration is the entry card. But you can install Samplitude without registration on your current system and use it for 7 days with all features.

If you don´t use an activation key you can install it afterwards also on another system and get your first key (three are free via the online activation website - more only with a phone call).

regards

Norman