Unable to record good audio in S7Demo

Guest Greg Marxs

Guest Greg Marxs

I've been really enjoying the Demo for Sam7. I loaded in some wave files, recorded several midi tracks, and was/am amazed by the smoothness of the program. However since trying to record audio, I've had nothing but distorted recordings, and crashes. The crashes are interesting as you're still able to play the song, and use the transport (among other things). Its like half the program crashes. The main dropdown menus at the top of the screen (File, view, Help ...ect) all freeze up, so I have to control alt delete to close the program. The shutdown menu doesn't say "Not Responding", it says the program still is running, and that its "waiting for input" ...... but theres nothing to input. Its crashed beyond use. This scenario has happened 10 times in the last few hours. My computer just had a fresh xp install from scratch, and I'm running in Standard PC mode. There is nothing loaded but the OS, Cubase SX, and a couple Native Instruments. Cubase SX records audio fine.

Heres my set up:

Dell P4 1.7ghz.

1 gig of ram

2 40 gig HDs

G-Force 400 dual Video card

M-Audio 8x8 USB

M-Audio Delta 66

With all the latest drivers installed, and no IRC sharing. I've made the "Key" recommended tweaks, put nothing major.

I've tried recording through 2 different sets of Anolog ins, as well as spdif. The results are always the same. I can hear what I recorded, but it has distortion blips all the way through it as if it had been recorded WAY to HOT. I've check my levels and they're fine. Any ideas will be appreciated.

Greg

This is just a shot in the dark, but is the sample rate in samp set to record at the same sample rate thet your card can handle? Maybe there is a problem if you are recording-playing back at a higher rate than what your card can handle.

--Eric

Guest Greg Marxs

Apparently all my complaining cleared my head. I switched from 32 to 16 bit internal processing, and I'm sounding good. Hopefully this was the cause of the the crashing as well. ........

Greg

Guest Volker

Please try again with 16 bit device communication, but 32 bit internal.

You should almost never use internal 16 bit resolution, that's only

useful for bit identical copies of 16 bit material without applying any

fades, mixes, effects or dithering.

Regards,

Volker

Guest Guest

Please try again with 16 bit device communication, but 32 bit internal.

You should almost never use internal 16 bit resolution, that's only

useful for bit identical copies of 16 bit material without applying any

fades, mixes, effects or dithering.

Regards,

Volker

Volker,

Thanks for your reply. The device resolution/driver comunication is grayed out. (unselectable) The only way to make it selectable is to select MME -WDM compatible 24/32 bit support (under Driver system). My current selection here is ASIO. Under ASIO set up, the panel reads:

Asio Device: M Audio Delta ASIO

Clock Source: See Control panel - 32 bit / 384s

Changing the internal resolution to 32 bit causes distorted audio, and I'm pretty sure it causes the crashes as well.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Greg