"Mono" Tracks

Guest Sbear

Guest Sbear

Hello, Everyone. Just got Sam 7 trial to try out (current Logic user :angry: ). One thing I can't figure out for the life of me: How do you create a mono track? I found the "mono button" on the track properties, but this only records the "left" side of the "stereo" input as mono, the "right" side is lost. I guess maybe a better question- Can Samplitude recognize anything but "Stereo pairs" as inputs? I want "input 1" on track 1, "input 2" on track 2, "input 3. . .so forth" as mono tracks (like seemingly every other DAW does it). Samplitude seems only to allow "input 1/2", "input 3/4" (stereo pairs) for each track, and because of this I can't get even numbered tracks (the "right" side of the stereo input) to record as mono. This all came about because I put two mics in inputs 1 and 2 on my soundcard expecting to be able to get 2 mono tracks-but couldn't. Hopefully it's something completely obvious where I will feel completely stupid when someone tells me the answer :blink:

My soundcards are a RME Digi96/8 Pro and a M-Audio Delta 66 just so you know.

Guest Fifthcircle

Select the input (usually a pair) and select either Left or Right instead of stereo. If you select mono, it sums the left and right to a mono track. Samplitude basically works on stereo tracks. Even when you select mono (and it will record a mono track), if you pan partially, you'll notice the stereo meters are going. Your pan is calculated as the difference between the two tracks.

--Ben

Guest Shawn

Is this behavior going to be altered in anyway? I am coming from Cubase SX/Nuendo where you have true mono tracks, so Im really hoping this gets changed in a later release. Thanks!

Shawn

Guest Fifthcircle

Samplitude has true mono tracks... As Tony said, select your input, and either right, left or mono. Keep in mind that "mono" is a sum of the left and right.

The bit about stereo is just explaining how Samplitude treats them in the context of a mix. Whether the other programs show it that way or not, they are doing the same thing.

--Ben

Guest sbear

OK, Yes, it works! A seeming "communication" problem. Because Sam works on a "stereo" and only "stereo" arrangement, selecting "right" (instead of "stereo" or "mono") results in ONLY the right "side" of the "Stereo" input being recorded. Now that seems obvious, but depending on your point of view that can mean two VERY different things (hence the "communication" problem) Since Sam is a stereo beast, I "thought" (erroneously!) that selecting "right" meant the "right" channel was recorded on the "stereo" input, and the left side was not recorded and left vacant; this would still mean that during playback the signal I recorded would be on the "right" side of the mix, NOT in the center! (i.e. NOT mono) this is how analog consoles work-right is ALWAYS right, and left is ALWAYS left.) But after trying what Fifthcircle suggested, by selecting "right" (or "left") in track properties, the right side (or left side) of the input was recorded MONO, (i.e. during playback, the signal recorded from the "right" (or "left") input was played in the CENTER of the stereo image (Hurray!) I thought this could use being cleared up, because in the couple of days I have previewed Sam it seems really great, but anyone who tries it coming from Logic (or Cubase, or most other DAWs) would find the "Lack" of "mono" tracks confusing and feel turned off by it (I know I did! :angry: )

Since this "communication" problem has been cleared up, I pose another question; what if I want to record a stereo track from two non-sequential inputs. say input 4 on the left side and input 7 on the right?