new computor for sampletude

Guest thyrdeye

Guest thyrdeye

I want to have a new computor built to run the latest version of sampletude. What is the best:chipset, motherboard operating system and so on. I also want to know if and or which DVD burner would be able to back up a sampletude product.

Guest Guest

Hello,

I can't give you all the answers as I am not aware of your budget, but I can fill you in on a couple of tried and true systems for DAW's in general.

I believe you should find a list of supported cd/dvd burners somewhere on the Sam site. If not, I believe the demo should have the information somewhere.

Computers:

Hard drives - Western Digital 8meg buffer drives. One 40 gig partitioned into two drives (15 gig / 25 gig). The smaller partition for O/s and programs. The larger partition for miscellaneous storage.

Western Digital 80 - 120 gig / 8meg buffer - for recording. (a couple with a removable bay for backup is nice as well... the amount of storage you will need and the ability to move it around is dependent on your application and your budget).

Processor/Motherboard/Chipset - I would wait for some of this new stuff to creap a little further into the market, then I would buy some of the not so new stuff... Knowing what I know now I think I would go with an Asus dual AMD motherboard: http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7...-d/overview.htm With good ECC registered Ram (as fast as the motherboard and the cas-latency of the ram will allow) such as Samsung...

A good Pentium solution that has been solid for everybody is:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socket478/...-c/overview.htm

With good quality 1066 Rambus ram. Just do your research if going with this motherboard so as to get the proper ram. They make two motherboards that are almost the same that both utilize different Rambus (the p4t533 and the p4t533-c). The p4t533-c seems to be the best choice, but the ram must be populated in pairs on this board and can be fairly expensive (although the performance rocks...).

The Intel version of the p4t533-c is also a smart choice.

There are several DDR mobos that are really nice as well and the ram used to be much cheaper (I haven't checked those prices in a while so you never know...). I think if you stick to the tried and true chipsets that is the most important part...

Via chipsets work fine for some folks and suck for others so I have just made it a rule to stear clear of anything Via...

The latest N-force chipsets are supposed to be really good and solid for DAW use. There are several AMD options available with these chipsets.

Differing reports on SIS chipsets so I stay away from those as well...

Power supply - Enermax or equivelent quality. Minimum of 350 watt power supply for single processor. Check preffered power rating for dual processor.

Processors - I prefer AMD from a cost perspective and the avoidance of denormal issues. The P4's are nice, though, and the performance of hyperthreading is an advantage, although I think a true dual processor mobo is going to do more for performance and the hyperthreading CPU's are pretty pricey at this point.

Video cards - Matrox, ATI, ASUS dual head cards. I can say for a fact that the Matrox cards are stable, although maybe as not as robust performance wise. I am really interested in the ASUS dual head cards as they look like they are pretty rockin'. I've not heard of anyone using them so don't know what they are like as far as stability...

Operating system - Windows XP although some folks still swear by 98se (which is actually what I still use... although ACPI installation under XP is supposed to be wonderful so if I were to do a fresh build I would go that route...

Audio - RME is my personal prefference as far as design and quality. Again this depends on your budget which may be above or below this solution...

That's all I got...

Good luck,

Brock

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm using the next configuration: :angry:

- Asus P4-T533c

- Intel P4 @ 3.0GH

- RIMM 256mb x4

- Matrox G550

- Sony 17" TFT x2

- RAID IDE mode=0

- Seagate HD's Barracuda ata-iv 3x40GB:

- 1x40GB System (winxp + sp1)

- 2x40GB RAID 0 = 1x80GB

- DVD-RW Pioneer A05

- Sony DVD-ROM 10x

- Aluminium Case with 19" rack accesories

- Power 400w

- NO SCSI !!!

Any more?¿?¿? Great performance, speed, low noise and not very expensive!!!

Byyyyy.

Guest compuzilla
Processors - I prefer AMD from a cost perspective and the avoidance of denormal issues. The P4's are nice, though, and the performance of hyperthreading is an advantage, although I think a true dual processor mobo is going to do more for performance and the hyperthreading CPU's are pretty pricey at this point.

AMD procs and even Apple G4's are not immune to Denormal issues.

Since most all of the offending applications that caused denormals

in P4's have been patched to take advantage of proper microcode

in the P4's FPU the raise for concern over the P4 denormal issue is

pretty much relegated to the same status as the AMD thermal

meltdown issues.

In reference to the thread topic;

If you want the absolute BEST and most solid performance from a

machine that would run most ANY DAW software you ever wanted,

start with a Supermicro or Intel system board. Use anything less,

IMO, and you are in for a compatability crap shoot. For the Audio

side of things, RME is the way to go. For Intel based host systems

stay clear of anything with the name MOTU on it. Also building it

yourself would eventually save some time and money if for some

reason something had to be troubleshot because you would have

more of a handle how the thing operates and would not be

dependent on some mom & pop tech support located half way

around the world.

As a sidenote;

If you are planning to run 2 or more heavy hitting audio apps simultaneously

(i.e. a Sequencer and Reason, Rebirth, or god forbid GigaSampler) I would ward

you off of getting a single processor and seriously look into DUAL proc

machines. Supermicro has the BEST boards, IMO, for audio in the Dual proc

arena.

good luck!

Guest Guest
Processors - I prefer AMD from a cost perspective and the avoidance of denormal issues.  The P4's are nice, though, and the performance of hyperthreading is an advantage, although I think a true dual processor mobo is going to do more for performance and the hyperthreading CPU's are pretty pricey at this point.

AMD procs and even Apple G4's are not immune to Denormal issues.

Since most all of the offending applications that caused denormals

in P4's have been patched to take advantage of proper microcode

in the P4's FPU the raise for concern over the P4 denormal issue is

pretty much relegated to the same status as the AMD thermal

meltdown issues.

In reference to the thread topic;

If you want the absolute BEST and most solid performance from a

machine that would run most ANY DAW software you ever wanted,

start with a Supermicro or Intel system board. Use anything less,

IMO, and you are in for a compatability crap shoot. For the Audio

side of things, RME is the way to go. For Intel based host systems

stay clear of anything with the name MOTU on it. Also building it

yourself would eventually save some time and money if for some

reason something had to be troubleshot because you would have

more of a handle how the thing operates and would not be

dependent on some mom & pop tech support located half way

around the world.

As a sidenote;

If you are planning to run 2 or more heavy hitting audio apps simultaneously

(i.e. a Sequencer and Reason, Rebirth, or god forbid GigaSampler) I would ward

you off of getting a single processor and seriously look into DUAL proc

machines. Supermicro has the BEST boards, IMO, for audio in the Dual proc

arena.

good luck!

I've heard others state this about amd processors and G4 processors. I have been able to find evidence of this from a few G4 users in rare instances and have yet to here of one person on an AMD experience denormal issues. I have heard this repeated enough times that I have even posted in several places asking for one instance where someone has had this happen when using an AMD processor. Never once has someone stated that they have. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but is certainly more rare than with a P4 system.

That having been said, the advice of a quality motherboard with an intel chipset for maximum compatibility is right on. Of course there are other chipsets and AMD processors that are working just fine as well.

Brock