Nuendo

Guest Ianneve

Guest Ianneve

Hello, just wondering if anyone has worked on nuendo and how you feel it compares to Samplitude? I've been on Nuendo for 3 years and although the editing power is incredable my final stages mixing and mastering seem to be leaving me wanting something else. I tried Samplitude 6 for mastering and loved it. It is a little awkward for me but the sound and the level before distortion is much better then what I've been able to get in Nuendo's mastering. So I'm thinking about dumping all my tracks into Samplitude and trying a mix. Wanted to get some feedback from some of you on this. Thanks :>)

Guest Norman
I tried Samplitude 6 for mastering and loved it.

You can check the demo of 7.0 (www.samplitude.com). The demo is limited (no saving, no realtime room simulator), but gives a good impression of the current programm state and the big steps from version 6 to 7.

In some days the new 7.11 demo version with new features (VST automation, Freeze ...) and some important bugfixes will be available.

regards

Norman

Guest Ianneve

7 SOUNDS better? No saving? Ick.... LOL... I'll stay with 6 for now. It just seems more solid then Nuendo. Sonicaly. And just more musical sounding. Is dumping a session in from Nuendo difficult? The idea of learnig a new software does not thrill me but I'm all about the sound and if my multitrack mixes will improve as much as my master did it's worth it. I do use midi a lot though to "play" all my orchetration parts as well as synths, piano's, flutes, whatever and I was reading the nasty thread about midi. I had to stop after it got ugly as I'm here to learn about Sam. I was a little dissapointed at the tone of the people. I was hoping to get away from that sort of thing here but then people are people wherever you go and lord knows I'm one of um. LOL. :>)

Guest Guest

Hey Ianneve...

it's Brock...

As I've stated on the Nuendo forums a few times I believe Samplitude to be a better sounding program to me. sure null tests with all faders at unity and equal pan law will null out between the two. It is when processes are introduced that the difference becomes noticable to me.

That having been said, Nuendo is a great program. Of course a lot of it's best features were introduced into the marked by the Samplitude team... And they continue to innovate features that end up as standards in the DAW community. I see no reason for this to change. As you can see you even have direct support from the developement team in the newcomer's forum here. I'm sure the support in the 7.x registered forum is superb.

There are some aspects of samplitude that can be hard to grasp in their ingenuity... the object based handling of parts is one of those. Once you discover the object editor your workstyle as it applies to mastering will completely change... and for the better. Take the time to discover the object editor and then imagine how you can apply that to song and album mastering... very easy to change compression threshholds and such for different parts of songs for instance...

As I said, Nuendo is a great program. Samplitude is too... and with samplitude you basically get the tools of Nuendo and Wavelab combined with the midi of SX being implemented as fast as possible and still maintain the integrity of the program. As far as stability I don't thing there is any comparison as Samplitude is indeed rock solid.

Best to you,

Brock

PS... should I feel guilty for haning out at the Nuendo forums and not owning the program?!? lol

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SamFan

Hey brock, Thanks for the post. I am moving over from Nuendo. Love the sound of Sam. Some call me crazzy but I think it sounds MUCH better not just a little and I can hear a big difference. And it seems way more solid. I need to look into the editor. Havn't touched that yet. BUt I think I'm SamFan for good. We will see?

Guest Guest
Hey brock, Thanks for the post. I am moving over from Nuendo. Love the sound of Sam. Some call me crazzy but I think it sounds MUCH better not just a little and I can hear a big difference. And it seems way more solid. I need to look into the editor. Havn't touched that yet. BUt I think I'm SamFan for good. We will see?

I came from Nuendo as well. And have not once missed Nuendo since coming to SAMP. Yes I too think the sonic quality inside the program is superior. And all the routing schemes are where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

And one thing...Steinberg support leaves a LOT to be desired. Everytime I have had a question i got it answered either on the support forum or via e-mail in record time. Those guys know that customer service is where it's at.

Think about it this way, with so many cracks available, where is the reson to pay for an app if not for the way SAMP does business. Those guys are amazing.

Ed D.

Guest Guest

Forgot to add...import from Nuendo into SAMP is no biggie. There's a freeware called EDL Translate, or EDl Convert Pro from cuibono, that lests you convert your OMF, OTL or AES into a SAMP EDL.

Ed D.

Guest SamFan

Hey brock, Thanks for the post. I am moving over from Nuendo. Love the sound of Sam. Some call me crazy but I think it sounds MUCH better not just a little and I can hear a big difference. Mostly in the low end. It's tighter for me and punchy. I could never get Nuendo to do punchy. IT was fine for real open funk or soft ballads but big saturated rock sounded terrible on it. Sounds just like it's supposed to in Sam and it seems way more solid. I need to look into the editor though. Havn't touched that yet. BUt I think I'm SamFan for good. We will see?

Guest SamFan

Whoops I fogot I'd posted most of that message already. :>) DOH!

Anyway,,, I ended up doing the Open TL export from Nuendo and Jeff Sheridan from http://www.sequoiadigital.com/ who is a freaking GENIUS and a SUPER nice guy showed me how to do a batch file thing in Sam to bring in the 32 bit files. Nuendo chopped them into 16 bit so he came up with a way to trick Sam into thinking the 32 bit files were the 16 bit files in the open TL and he did it with the Batch processing inside Sam. Sounds complicated but it's actually Fairly easy and I get all the fades and edits I did in Nuendo in the Open TL export. Works like a charm.

Can't wait to actually cut in Sam though. I'm sure it's going to sound even better then.

And yes Steinberg. Well, I don't want to be negaitive about anything on this forum but let's just say I am VERY happy to be rid of them. :angry: Feels like I'm reborn on here. Yippee!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SamFan

It took me countless hours, days, weeks even to get this info, not to mention the bashing I took on the Nuendo forum. :>) I did not come up with this, Jeff Sheridan from http://www.sequoiadigital.com/ did. The guy is a monster tech genius and I got better tech support from him in 2 weeks then I ever had in 3 years of being with Steinberg. Here it is:

Make a copy of the original Nuendo files (all of them) and name it copy. (create the new folder first, go to the original, highlight one file-select "control C", go to the renamed new folder and select "control V".

Then do the export from the original folder of Nuendo that creates all the 16 bit files send them to the original file.

Open Samplitude and select Batch processing.

Click on source files and direct it to the folder you made and named copy.

From the copy folder select all the wav files (these are the 24 bit versions)

All the files should now be in the source files folder.

I am not in front of the computer but you need to select the tab just to the left of "destination" this is the one where you will check 24 bit.

Now go to the destination folder and select the original folder where Nuendo created the 16 bit files.

In the "suffix" window place the text "-16bit" (this will add this text to the end of each file.

Execute the batch file processs, at this point you should get a message that shows you all of the original "-16bit" files and warns you they will be overwritten. This is good, select okay or continue and away it goes.

Don't forget to do your OpenTL conversion of the EDL.

You will have to download the free EDL Open TL converter and use that to turn the OPen tL files into EDL so Sam can read them and load them. That link I do not have anymore but ask on this forum for it and thhey will point you to it. You need that as it is completely necessary in this process. Good luck. IT really does work once you get it and it has made a huge difference in the sound of my mixes. So it's completely worth it.