Samplitude 7.2

MGB

Hello everybody, I'm new on this forum and looking for advice, maybe you can help.

I'm just getting started on a DAW at home and the choice of software is between Cubase SX and Samplitude ( downloaded both demo's SX 1.02 and Samp 7.1 ).

Like I said I'm really just now starting out so I can't speak of earlier experiences.

To me, Samplitude looks and feels like the one, but also a bit more complicated.

I think I will do both audio and midi recording so I'm looking for the best allround application.

Cubase looks to have the advantage there.

But somehow I feel more attracted to Samp.

The questions are; does anybody know already how midi functions are going to be in Samp 7.2 ?

Will they be up to par to compete with SX?

Are there any other things I should look for, because I'm inexperienced I don't already know what's important and what's not.

Hope you can help me out.

MGB

Guest ssante@earthlink.net

I have been a Samp user for 4 years. If you thinking of using Samp for Serious Midi and Softsynths then you better think again. Magix claims 7.2 will solve alot of issues (can you say UNUSABLE) for Midi and Softsynths. Also now that I am using XP my CD burning no longers works with Samp. Ya wanna know the good news for that: Get another CDR burner or use another program.

Bottom line is this: Samp is a great program for AUDIO only. Mixing and Mastering. Forget those of us who need a Sequencer/Audio solution. Samp is not it. Go with SONAR or Cubase SX. I choose SONAR 3 and am thrilled. I still can't burn directly from SONAR3 but then I can't do that in Samp anymore, and guess what the Lexicon and Ultra Funk plugins that come with Sonar are FABULOUS.

Thanks Stephanie.

As far as I understand, Samp 7 already has some midi and vst support and it looks like they want to catch up with Cubase and Logic really fast, like I said I'm just starting out so for me it's hard to see in a glimpse what is still missing in Samp.

Why do you consider Samp less suitable, even when they promise to have a lot of new functions in version 7.2?

MGB

Samp7 is a solid prgm and is even used by some high-profile Mastering Houses - not for its effects or plugs, but for its stability & sound + the ability to burn DAO CDs directly from the timeline (a must for mastering use...).

There is one drawback that I have found so far in my demo-ing of Samp7 - as far as I can tell, Samp7 won't let you change the shape of a volume or pan envelope curve between 2 points to a default shape (linear, smooth, sharp, etc.). You have to rely upon a steady hand on your mouse in automation mode to draw a nice fade-in, fade-out or volume adjustment. It's not a function that is used constantly, but when you need it.....

On another issue - I, too am curious if my CD burner is going to work with Samp7 since there is no way to check it on the demo version...

Guest Guest_ssante@earthlink.net

MGB,

I don't care about promises. Software promises are broken all the time. I need software that works as promised when I pay for the upgrade. Magix is not alone on this count. I paid alot of $$ for Samp over the years. Just how do you fiqure its gonna catch up to Sonar or Cubase in the Midi/VSTI department when those shops have been maturing this for years. No app is perfect.

Guest SamFan

I have had my issues with Midi in Samp 7.1.2 but I did a new session yeterday and I used the B4 organ flawlessly. And my burning from Samp works perfect as well as when I burn from Nero and I'm in XP. 7.2 is supposed to have a great midi engine. If it was Steinberg saying it I wouldn't beleive it but SAmp is just such a mush more solid program that I believe them. I love my Samp and I was on Nuendo for 3 years before switching. I won't be going back. I'm excited for 7.2. I had a fairly well known Artist/producer in the other day and he owns a full on production studio with a huge old Neve console and Everything including the PT HD system and he was just shaking his head at the sound of what I'm doing. He said it sounded great. Samp is part of why.

Hi SamFan,

Exactly what I was thinking, somehow I just believe Samp is going to get it "almost" right the first time.

I think I read somewhere that the new midi engine is being made by the guy who used to work for logic, so that looks promising.

I've been reading a lot on the steinberg forums and it looks like a lot of people are not entirely happy with the way they treat their customers, not fixing simple bugs etc....

I think I'll wait to see what midi and vst improvements Samp 7.2 will have.

Hope they post the new features on their site soon.

Or does anybody know already?

Ciao,

MGB

I can tell you from experience and lots of it that Steinberg are terrible. Even mean. They have a raging attitude. And they don't seem to care at all about their customers. I guess they have so many they think they are invincable. I had nothing but trouble with them and their products and since switching to Samp I have had a few problems but nothing like with Nuendo and the tech support here is good. I don't like trashing a company like that but they earned it. :>) I'm really ahppy with Samp and I never thought I would switch. It was the superior sound of Samp that finally made me leave Nuendo. And I like Samps midi better. It's easier to minipulate the notes in the midi editor. Faster. I wanted to leave Nuendo since day one using it pretty much but had no idea what was out there that was better, till I heard Samp 7.

I think I'll wait to see what midi and vst improvements Samp 7.2 will have.

I´ve heard, they have rewritten the complete midi engine in three months (!). New midi editor, tempo mapping, Mackie XT support, VST plugins on objects with latency compensation and other improvements. Sounds very promising for me.

I´am sure Steinberg will steal much more ideas in future. They have tried to get latency compensation (CPU hungry, buggy and DirectX forgotten), baby freeze, gui ideas, skins and a registered user forum ...

Guest "SAMPLITUDE"
I´am sure Steinberg will steal much more ideas in future. They have tried to get latency compensation (CPU hungry, buggy and DirectX forgotten), baby freeze, gui ideas, skins and a registered user forum ...

Really??!! A new Forum!! :D

I just talked to my buddy and he has Cubasevst and nuendo 1.x on a Mac g3 and an older PC, and a new g4 with Cubase but no plugs..(yet?) (I think all cracks)

What he says about nuendo2 is: "I hear it's the BOMB!".....(that says to me ... that he is waiting for a crack!!!)

He just built a new PC room and If I get my hands on a Dongle mabye I will install Samp there. They are heavy cubase users with lots of midi and vsti's, but 7.2 may be the ticket.

Hey Max

I wouldn't call it stealing, I think all companies look at what the other does and then try to copy that plus add something extra.

Wich I think is good for us, the customer.

That way hopefully we get the best of the best.

Has anobody been to the AES in New York and knows what Samp 7.2 will bring us?

MGB.

Guest drogan88

I was at the AES and there was no 7.2 version of either Samplitude or Seqouia. 7.19 Beta only. It had a drum midi editor but I was told that there was no vsti or dxi installed on the laptop to 'demo' the editor. They could not answer if the software would support multiple outs on vsti dxi. They could not tell me if pressing the piano keys in the midi editor would now play back the insterted plugin and not the gm piano sound. The tech guy was not helpful at all and very full of attitude.

Guest beta at AES

I saw the beta at AES, and the new features are great. Vst on objects, better midi engine with more features, metronome, and lots of wanted improvements. The final 7.2 will most likely be finished in weeks,...mabye even more, but not days. And I don't think they have any intention of implimenting dxi...ever.