Take Management

Guest Jason A

Guest Jason A

Hello,

I have been playing around with the Samp demos for a couple of years now but I am just now on the verge of making the plunge. Most of the features I thought were missing I have found so I have a question about my biggest remaining issue: Take management.

OK, I record a riff. Think I might be able to do better. Punch in a couple of lines. Open take manager and all of the takes are there, except my first take is now empty. How can I tell Samplitude to keep the first track? I tried the Statistic buttons and they bring up a VIP with all takes including the first one. I can comp a line in there and I assume it saves it as an extra take and doesn't replace any of the takes(I can't confirm that because I'm using the demo and it won't let me save) which is fantastic. But why is it empty in take manager? I would rather just split up the original in the VIP and then bring to the front the pieces of the takes I want.

I think this is my only problem with Samplitude at the moment and would really like to get this one resolved.

Thanks for your help

Jason A.

Guest Guest_Jason A

OK, maybe I should rephrase the question.

Question #1: When punching into a track to get several takes of a line, how do I get the original line (The one I punched into) to play when selected. Right now, it appears in take manager just like the others, but does not contain any sound.

Question #2: In the same scenario, if I use the Statistics button in Take manager, the first track comes up (along with the other takes) in a new VIP. This time, the original line contains sound. If I use this new VIP to comp a few of the tracks together, can this comped take be saved as an alternate take? Again, I'm using the demo so I can't save any comps I make and thus can't verify this point.

You are now free to all answer at once. :D

Jason A.

Guest Jason A

Does this mean I'm the only one who comps tracks?

Seriously, this sounds like a trivial issue but I have been trying to find a work around ever since I came up with this question and I have yet to find one that doesn't take twice as long.

Please let me know.

Jason A.

Hey Jason...

This has been a subject discussed a few times on the newsgroup... You should look up a post from Auxbus on there about comping.

Probably the best way as it sits now is how Martin A. suggested.

Set all of your tracks in the VIP so that they can be moved up or down but not left to right without unlocking them...

Then when you need to comp take all of your takes (which you have recorded on seperate tracks...) and move those all down to the bottom.

Do your comping and take your finished comp and take it to the top.

I think this is probably the next are Samplitude Dev. will be looking to improve. I'm sure Auxbuss is giving them hell right now on the registered forum. :D

Anywho... that a ways you just keep the tracks locked... move them down to the bottom and comp away.

I had been taking the takes into a new vip (or individual waves if I've had to) along with a scratch 2 mix of the rest of the program. then importing back.

I like Martin's way much better now that I've given it a shot...

Cheers,

Brock

hmm... I bet there is an option for that. here in my living room it's not a hassel to just arm another track with that input and mute the old one.

I suspect there is an option for this though... I would like to know as well. I wonder why I hadn't thought of that...

automatic like...

alright... depending on your number of inputs and how you set up your templates this may or may not be a feasible work-a-round to just arming the next track...

you can use the feature in the track dialogue to set all tracks to the record settings you have for the first one (the scratch vocal for instance...).

Then use a shortcut key for activate next track. Between shortcuts for mute track, unmute track, record arm track, disarm track and activate next track you could work pretty fast.

If you have a template set-up that you don't want to screw up by setting all tracks to the same input then you when you activate the next track you will have to then select the proper input...

Let me know if you think this will work. I imagine that 8.x will have a full blown system for comping that will simplify this a great deal, especially when it comes to screen space and clarity. What I would like is for them to be recorded as takes, one on top of the other... and then the ability to have those takes open up in a virtual, virtual project on their own tracks synced up with the original mix... whew... I'm sure they can probably design something a bit more elegent... these guys are good.

Let me know what you think.

Brock

Guest Jason A

Wouldn't you have to also have steps in there for splitting the original clip at the punch points and then mute that new object only? That way everything up to the punch point still plays. If you are in a new track, the new track doesn't know to mute the unarmed track between the punch points.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jason A.

here's what I'm a doin' now...

when I'm punching in on a track I do it the usual way... setting auto punch in and out markers and recording in punch mode.

When I want to evaluate those guys I open the take manager... Open all of those guys using "static (brief)". {special thanks here to the guy who turned me on to that one...}

This will open the original, unadulterated track as track one and the subsequent punches on the tracks below...

You can then get your final track in order...

Now lets say you are doing this on a schlew of backup singers. Or alternate takes of a vocal... or guitar... etc. And you want to get those guys on the same page... Using that nifty trick that Martin A. gave us we can now move the objects (the whole track in this case... cause we're gonna' make those final tracks each into their own big object) to the bottom of the page without changing their side to side movement...

We now have those guitars, etc. all together to do what we may with them...

The method I was suggesting above was for recording alternate takes... I prefer to do those all on their own track and there is plenty of time to enable recording on the next track and mute the *whole* other track without shortcut keys for me (in the comfort of my home...). When I was suggesting that I wasn't even thinking about the neccessities for punching which are indeed different (if you don't want to go in and lower individual volume points and who the f*ck wants to do that?!?).

I would prefer a set-up similar to this one, but simplified inside the vip somehow. As I said, I'm sure Auxbuss is working on it... hehe...

It's a neccessity (for me) to keep a scratch 2 track mix hanging around to import into the new vip created by the take manager in order to have a mix for reference. If someone out there knows a way that the take manager mutes the original track (and subsequent punches) in the vip and also links the vip to the new take manager vip for review holler at me... SEE DEVELOPERS! We can make this a tad less convoluted you masters of convolutions...

A combination of the above should get you everything you need...

Let me know if I've forgotten something...

Cheers,

Brock

Guest Jason A
here's what I'm a doin' now...

when I'm punching in on a track I do it the usual way... setting auto punch in and out markers and recording in punch mode.

When I want to evaluate those guys I open the take manager... Open all of those guys using "static (brief)". {special thanks here to the guy who turned me on to that one...}

This will open the original, unadulterated track as track one and the subsequent punches on the tracks below...

You can then get your final track in order...

<snip>

Let me know if I've forgotten something...

Cheers,

Brock

Man, this seems to get more complicated every minute. :D

The method you are describing (using the Statistic button) was part of my original question. If you can comp some takes using the Statistic function and then rename it as a separate take/object then this will get me by. I simply cannot verify the rename thing since I can't save in the demo.

Is this how it works?

Jason A.

yeah, I'm afraid I've made it more complicated then it needs to be...

If all you want to do is comp a track and its subsequent punch ins... then the take manager works like a charm. It opens those puppies up in a new vip where you can comp to your hearts content. At that point you mix that newly comped piece of work to a file that you will import back into your original VIP. this file will be named whatever you call it in the take manager VIP.

Sooooo... to make a longer story a tad bit more verbose... yes. yes it will... you will be good to go.

There is nothing in Samplitude that can't be done. Some things are layed out a little easier than others, but it's stable and it works. The updates and comunication roll out with regularity.

The comping of tracks can be easily accomplished and can be destined to a file of your own naming... It can be made easier... it just isn't right now...

Let me know if you have any questions...

OK, maybe I should rephrase the question.

Question #1: When punching into a track to get several takes of a line, how do I get the original line (The one I punched into) to play when selected. Right now, it appears in take manager just like the others, but does not contain any sound.

Question #2: In the same scenario, if I use the Statistics button in Take manager, the first track comes up (along with the other takes) in a new VIP. This time, the original line contains sound. If I use this new VIP to comp a few of the tracks together, can this comped take be saved as an alternate take? Again, I'm using the demo so I can't save any comps I make and thus can't verify this point.

You are now free to all answer at once. :D

Jason A.

yeesh... I coulda' saved us a lot of trouble if I had just read your questions...

Yes Jason. Sorry. The answer to question number two is YES...

Cheers,

Brock