7.2 demo - mono inputs

gUiLeO

hello,

First of all, I would like to buy Sam but I want to use it in live. The problem is :

1 - Live mode works only for stereo inputs ! So I can only use 8 different sources for 16 physical inputs ! (input 1 = input 2, in3=in4, etc...) :D

2 - When I record 16 tracks with the left or right mono input, there is much less latency than in live mode, and I'm still monitoring the FX... so why ? It's a lot better than in Live mode (for the latency) but the Aux and Master can't be monitored... No solutions ? :D

Conclusion :

I can't use live input mode for 3 reasons :

1 - no mono inputs

2 - too high latency, even when reducing VIP buffers

3 - no record possible

I would prefer to use the "normal mode" instead...

... because :

1 - there's mono inputs

2 - very good latency and good processor occupation

3 - record possible

.... but :

There's no aux and no master

I hope I'm missing something because I can't see any logical idea in this conception.

Guest Live input > stereo wave

If you use Live input mode,.....master mixer working, fx monitoring etc. ->Range a small area in the vip to loop, (this is a new Vip, no objects in it) You'll be using the mixer only as fx processor....and with "MIXINFILE" enabled....it will give you a stereo wave of your recording. There is latency, I havent tested the diff between mme/wdm/asio drivers yet. But, it is fairly high. Although all mixer features work during this.

My signal is coming in via adat into a 4 stereo track Vip. I assume you know about Mixinfile??....everytime you stop playback, the file is written. This means you'll have to rename it for each "take" anything inbetween (false starts etc.) before the real take, just let it overwrite.

I found that most native Samp fx in the MasterMixer (during Live Input) do not work, although DX and Vst do, ....BUT...these Master fx are in each track and with auxes/buss's working correctly, you can then add a "Master" buss for your final mixthru........for the "MixInFile".

But, yes, I agree the auxes and master should be working in "normal" mode. I don't understand why it isn't. But, I guess it isnt intended to be used during recording....(I think) only used for mixing/playback...or "Live-Input". :D

Your using the Demo...so I don't know what limitations it has.

Yes, in live input mode, busses and auxes are working and the stereo mix is recordable... but my DAT can do that and I want to record each track to remix the show later.

The latency in live input mode is about 5 to 8 times the "normal" mode's one ! (I haven't measure it yet but its about this proportion)

I use ASIO drivers with the smallest VIP buffer posible. :D

I don't understand why mono inputs are not allowed in live in mode and why auxes don't work in "normal" mode. Is this some demo limitations ? :D

Well... this is some details... But I think that Sam devellopers have done a good job with this DAW. Espacially with the object oriented mixing method and with the audio engine wich is the most powerfull on Windows (even if the delay compensation doesn't work in live mode :P ).

It's why I prefer Samplitude to Nuendo and why I think I will buy it ! :)

... and for the price also ! :D

for the live sessions... I will continue to use a physical mixing console for now... waiting for the next Sam upgrade :lol:

Yes, in live input mode, busses and auxes are working and the stereo mix is recordable... but my DAT can do that and I want to record each track to remix the show later.
Of course your dat can record the same signal...in realtime....but....if you have many false starts, re-takes....etc. etc. Simply writing to disk is 10x faster and no having to transfer again to burn your disc.

You could just record your signal "normally" and use fx (if wanted) you just won't be able to use the auxes,...not a big deal....do you really need them if your mixing at a later time anyway?

Live-Input is for passing the signal thru Samplitudes' mixer and fx....I guess when they designed it they figured it would be to use it as a software mixer and FX Processor -vs- outboard gear. (for mixdown!!)

I don't understand why mono inputs are not allowed in live in mode and why auxes don't work in "normal" mode. Is this some demo limitations ?

Live input is the way it is. Allways has been and probably allways will. Besides, this shouldn't matter to you if your recording multitracks!!?? ...And... there is an "easy to setup" workaround for the "no-mono-inputs-allowed" using Live-Input. :D

The aux prob in "normal" recording is something that I think should be fixed but....if recording for mixing at a later time...it is not needed. :D

The meters of the inputs are freezing in live input mode ! They stay lit on
yes, I see this happen too. Although at first start of recording it is fine, then...(I think) on 2nd or 3rd attempt the leds lock up. I think switching from Softwarefx monitoring to Software monitoring refreshes it. (not sure though)

The aux prob in "normal" recording is something that I think should be fixed but....if recording for mixing at a later time...it is not needed. :D

Sure it is, very much so. Wouldn't you like to be able to strap a little echo or reverb in there for the musician while tracking? If disabling latency compensation on the aux, you'll be able to track with low latency (doesn't matter much if the reverb has latency while tracking, you may consider it predelay anyway). I'm not sure if latency compensation can be disabled alltogether in Samplitude? I noticed that SX2 has this feature, which can come in very handy in situations like these.