samplitude and its longevity

Guest jonathan

Guest jonathan

I know that this has probably been discussed, but I have not seen it...so I am asking. I know that SAM has been around for sometime. I have started paying attention to it because I want to use a pc and cubase is not the answer. I used logic, but it has abandoned support on pc. Even so, I seem to prefer SAM from the demo I have tried. My question is this, though:

With apple having bought emagic, and having bought SEK'd, what is the likelyhood that SAM is here to stay on PC? I obviously think it is better at audio than the other pc programs. The new midi editor leads me to believe that SAM can turn into an emagic-chomping monster in its upcoming releases (assuming midi functions continue improving). I can't help but be scared that it will abandon the pc when I make the decision to "not go mac" in my studio. Then, I fear I will be left in the dark.

If someone from the SAM team could please respond, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

well theres a pretty big difference. the developers apple has purchased either had a mac-exclusive product or had ports to Linux/IRIX/NT & Mac. No such ports exist for samplitude (well, Amiga...) so its unlikely. In addition to having a Mac port on par w/ the pc port, the mac side of logic had extra features to integrate it with Pro Tools, which is another area apple wants business from (note digidesign & adobe moving toward x86/win32 lately)

i think it is a pretty safe bet that samplitude will continue to support the PC, and be timely in rolling out 64 bit optimizations, etc, when the chips are in more widespread use..

and be timely in rolling out 64 bit optimizations

Why 64 bit? The developers have indicated Samplitude uses internal calculations with up to 80 bit float since years. Maybe the secret behind the outstanding sound? Don´t think they will use less in the future.

different thing kemosabe...

But if you look down the post here by Norman concerning 7.2 you will see that support for 64 bit is alreadying creaping in... By the time it is practical in the marketplace I have no doubts this developement team will have already released a version that takes full advantage of 64bit cpus and operating systems.

right now, as has been stated by Norman quite a few times, there is no practical advantage.

Cheers,

Brock

I should think that there are a lot of people coming over from mac. I know of a few of them and so with that happeing and with Samp. gaining user #'s and gaining people from Steinmart it only stands to reason that they will be making money off the PC format. And more and more so as times passes. They won't leave money. :>) I just bought Samp. And I'm thrilled I did and have NO reservations or fears about it whatsoever. C'mon board. This Software will be THE PC DAW. I feel that.

>With apple having bought emagic, and having bought SEK'd, what is the likelyhood that SAM is here to >stay on PC? I obviously think it is better at audio than the other pc programs. The new midi editor leads >me to believe that SAM can turn into an emagic-chomping monster in its upcoming releases (assuming >midi functions continue improving). I can't help but be scared that it will abandon the pc when I make the >decision to "not go mac" in my studio. Then, I fear I will be left in the dark.

>

>If someone from the SAM team could please respond, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

1. Apple never bought SEK'D or Samplitude, neither did Emagic. There just was a started

cooperation of MAGIX and Emagic regarding Samplitude, when the Emagic takeover by

Apple came. Since this time Samplitude is (as before) developed and distributed by MAGIX.

2. MAGIX is leading in the consumer multi media market. Some of it's products are partially based

on Samplitude code and all of it's products are PC based (almost: there is even some PS2 stuff

now). An immediate turn to MAC only seems very improbable, especially regarding the missing

consumer market power there.

3. Regarding the stability and power of MAGIX in comparision to the competition

there's a good chance to see this more and more reflected in the pro market, too.

Regards,

Volker