Manual and tutorials for demo?

Guest Martin

Im testing out the 7.2 demo with the hope migrating from Logic when the the new drum editor arrives. Is there a manual available and are any tutorials to help me along the way?

Regards

Martin

I haven't checked out the demo yet, but is the help section accessible?

If it is then you essentially have the manual already and should be able to work through most of your questions.

There is also an online video although it is more of an overview and will not give you step-by-step stuff. The tutorial I'm sure is accessible with the demo as well.

You may find, however, that unlike Logic most of the things will be layed out in a "logical" fashion.

Cheers

Brock

Yes there is an online help which I am using. I'm afraid it's the opposite for me as I've been using Logic for 9 years and at the moment Samp seems pretty illogical so far. For instance when I'm trying to record a VSTi in loop mode (8 bars in this instance) if I doing more than 1 pass , instead of stacking the takes or creating new tracks (like in Logic ) I end up with just one long track...so if I record 4 passes I end up with an object 32 bars long ...not very useful for comping . Also there seems to be realtime waveform drawing for audio but not for VSTi's.

Regards

Martin

For instance when I'm trying to record a VSTi in loop mode (8 bars in this instance) if I doing more than 1 pass , instead of stacking the takes or creating new tracks (like in Logic ) ...

Not possible (yet). What is your favorite working style for this feature? Stacked takes in the take manager, new objects in new generated tracks - one for each pass or still one object with all passes in different midi tracks (max 16)?

regards

Norman

I'm going to vote for stacked takes in the take manager. Adding new tracks is kind of a pain in the ass. I think the way you have the take manager working now is awesome. Keep working within that framework.

What is your favorite working style for this feature? Stacked takes in the take manager, new objects in new generated tracks - one for each pass or still one object with all passes in different midi tracks (max 16)?

Thanks for your reply Norman. The stacked takes method you use is OK but its no good for listening to parts while the song is playing back. As far as I can tell it's more of an offline auditioning process. I would prefer it if a new track was created and the part muted with each pass and then when I have finished recording I can audition the parts by muting and unmuting whilst listening to the song. This is one of the ways I like to record audio tracks (very useful if you are layering up vocals). When recording midi/vsti's this method can also apply but having the added abilty to merge each pass onto the same track is also very useful.For instance when recording a drum part-1st pass (using 8 bar loop for instance) Kick&Snare and with the Option of "Merge" activated I can add the HiHats on the 2nd pass.3rd pass Toms etc This allows me to gradually layer up the drum groove but it is all merged into the same part and within the loop bounderies. I guess we all have our working methods and this is the way I have become used to working with (although I am always open to new ideas).

Many thanks

Martin

Guest GTBannah
As far as I can tell it's more of an offline auditioning process. I would prefer it if a new track was created and the part muted with each pass and then when I have finished recording I can audition the parts by muting and unmuting whilst listening to the song. This is one of the ways I like to record audio tracks (very useful if you are layering up vocals).

Smooooth, Martin!

Thats how I do it in SONAR at the moment. Six takes of a Guitar lick, audition each one with the others muted on the looped play-back. Select the one you like, or construct the "ultimate" take from a collage of sections of different takes. Yep! That's the way.

Maybe we could have both, so guys can choose their working style.

What do you say, Norman?!