Anyone experience with Tascam FW1884 i.c.w. Sampl?

Guest FreeksDad

Guest Jeff Coppage

Yes. I have it works well. You have to emulate the Mackie Control,but the inputs work, faders, pans, etc.

I'm new to DAW and I'm having other issues, but the Tascam works well.

Ahhh thanx man....great news.

There's a big backorder at this moment to deliver the controller so i must wait till half januari :rolleyes:

But what about the controller, does it also work as a audio-device, i mean instead of a audiocard or do

you still need a audiocard?

FreeksDad

Guest Jeff Coppage

No. You don't need an audio card. You just need a firewire port.

You can use all the inputs with the FW analog, digital and spdf.

I bought a Gateway with a 3.0 and 512 ram. I've tried Cubase 2.0, Nuendo 2.1 and Samplitude 7.0. The FW will control all and be used an input device.

I'm just having trouble with a stable environment. Lot's of crashing in all the audio programs. Samplitude crashes the least but is using a ton of CPU for a 24 track session.

So I'm little confused which to go with, if any.

Guest GTBannah
Yes. I have it works well. You have to emulate the Mackie Control,but the inputs work, faders, pans, etc.

I'm new to DAW and I'm having other issues, but the Tascam works well.

Hey, Jeff. How are the converters?

Where do they stand in relation to MOTU, RME, APOGEE?

Jump in fellas ....

Guest Jeff Coppage

As I understand, the converters are by Frontier Design Group. I suppose Apogee is much better but also much more expensive.

I think I will be getting an RME Sound card to compare soon.

I'm losing monitor on all three programs when things hiccup and then go back. I have to close out and reopen. I don't know if this is the Tascam or my computer.

If anyone can explain how to open a Project in Samplitude without eating up 100% of the CPU, it would be nice.

I have 24 tracks recorded at 24bit and 48k on a Mackie MDR.

I've ftp'd the tracks and imported them. (which I just found out the Samplitude has an FTP program.)

When I import I have chosen "wave" and "ram". Either still eats up CPU, which is a P4 3.0. Usually gets up to 130%.

In Cubase or Nuendo this doesn't happen, but each of those have their own issues.

I've been using Samplitude to edit 60' waves and burn some CDs and so far it's great. But 24 tracks really test the CPU.

Guest FreeksDad

Hi Jeff...thanx for sharing you experience...i've notice that and check it in my demosession.

In case of your 24 track - cpu heavy loading --> do you check your 'trackspeed' settings?

FreeksDad

• 3 weeks later...
Guest eddleetham

I've just got an FW-1884 and am struggling to get it working. I've managed to get audio into Samplitude, but can't get the monitoring to work yet - more investigation needed.

I've put the FW-1884 into Mackie Control emulation, but how do I get Samplitude to do the same? So far there's no interaction between mixer surface and Samplitude.