Hardware recommendations?

Guest Mike S.

Guest Mike S.

Hi - I'm new to Samplitude, haven't even recieved my order yet...

I'll be building a new box to run Sam Pro on and I'm looking for recommendations concerning AMD64 vs P4. I know the AMD64 has superior FPU and P4 has generally superior cpu (due to higher internal clock) for AMD 64 3200+ vs P4 3.2. But my question is which translates to better SAM performance?

Either way, this box will have RAID 0, 1G memory, XP.

Thoughts anyone?

do p4 still have denormal issues? that could be a factor swaying towards amd, either one should be fine, my computer is 2.5 years old...amd 1.4ghz and it runs samp great, despite getting the dreaded "ASIO Overload" message in logic way before cpu is used up, or chewing up about 33% of cpu in steinberg just to start an empty project..i'd be most concerned about noise dissipation, use huge slow fans (speeze or zalman) that allow you to adjust the speed , seagate drives for low noise, etc. or better yet just get the zalman fanless case (Zalman TNN500A)...

Guest Mike S.

Fortunately I don't have to worry about PC noise with my layout. I'll be going with top line chipsets and memory either way. As best I understand, the denormal issue in P4's are either corrected in the chip these days or simply coded around since it's such a well known issue.

I've searched quite a bit and haven't found a good DAW useage comparison, only more generic "media content creation" comparisons. As for 64 bit, everyone knows it's coming, it's just a question of if it's AMD's flavor of extending the x86 instruction set or the vastly different Intel 64 bit architecture. Either way, I have real concerns on how soon the hardware mfg's have 64 bit drivers out, even if the Magix guys did a SAM compile in 64 bit immediately...