Singing Samplitudes Praises

Guest epytryga

Guest epytryga

To all potential newcomers and crossgraders from other platforms...here's my Samplitude story...

I've used nearly every audio/midi program out there...but have been using Sonar/Cakewalk more than anything else, for years...last year on Sonar forum there was a discussion thread about how great Samplitude was...and why didn't Sonar have the features that Samplitude had...intrigued, I downloaded the demo...

At first, I found it overwhelming...there was so much stuff I was unfamiliar with...and I thought the midi implimentation was particularly sparse...but, the way f/x were handled, down to an object to object basis...and non-destructively...and the fact that you could master and burn a CD in the same program...made me take the SAM for Rent crossgrade leap...

Since, I'm in America...it took about 6 weeks for it to arrive...we americans are often not used to waiting for things so it was difficult...

Realizing that there was a lot of new ground to cover with the program...I stayed with Sonar as my main program and slowly worked Samplitude into my workflow...using it for final audio mastering mostly...and reading the manual and pdf file over and over...doing the tutorials...reading the formum...trying to learn as much as I could...

I'm not really a midi tweaker..so, I don't require tons of midi implimentation...just the ability to use soft synths in my recording...basically I use them as one would a "real" instrument..and hit record and play...

The bottom line is: I'm now 100 per cent on samplitude...I've recorded/mastered and burned my first complete project...and it sounds AMAZING...I don't know what it is....I always thought that on program sounded like the other...the only difference being workflow options and f/x....but it seems I was wrong...in a blind tast test...I recorded the same exact material in Sonar and Samplitude...and Samplitude wins hands down...other recordist friends of mine cannot believe the difference...

So, what I'm taking all this space saying is that if you're considering the leap to Samplitude..run, do not walk, to your nearest dealer...and jump on it...

BTW, the formum is wonderfully helpful...nice bunch there...and the developers are online answering questions..taking suggestions...nearly everyday...

Thanks Samplitude Team...the professional quality of my music just jumped to new standards...

Kind Regards

Eric

• 1 month later...
Guest charlie

:rolleyes: Can I just ask? Am I right that Samplitude's automation only covers volume fader and pan? Or does it also record mute switches in/out, eq changes etc.

I'm thinking it must record a lot more than just the vol and pan because as a DAW it does everything else so comprehensively. Can someone enlighten me?

TIA

Ok...so I'm baffeled. I can clearly hear a major difference in sound in working with the Sam 7 demo. Can it really be that different? And how or why is this possible? There have several almost heated discussions on the Sonar forum about this. Most claim that all the DAWs sound so close that it's not worth jumping from one to another unless the feature set is substantially different. From the first note that I played back through Sam 7 I heard what I thought was a hugh difference. The sound was warmer and less cluttered sounding. I found it much easier to create space in my mix. I thought I was imagining most of this so after playing with Sam 7 for a few days I returned to Sonar and it was immediately clear to me that there are major differences between these applications. Sonar now sounded harsh and brittle on tracks that I originally thought near perfect. Am I going crazy here?

Sonar has a hugh amount of user friendly functions that I've grown with over the past 10 years. I started with Sonar (cakewalk) when it was just a MIDI sequencer running in DOS. It will be difficult to loose the functionality of Sonar and the super tech support but the sound of Sam 7 just blows me away!!!

It would also be hard to give up the full automation of Sonar, particularly in the mixer view. Everything can be automated....faders, pan, aux sends, mutes, effects parameters...everything. Do you guys think Sam 8 will address these issues? I'm really getting the urge to move over to Samplitude.

TH

Guest Guest

you can use cake/sonar with samp if you want, I have...sync'd them together many times without probs.

(you may have already but,)

Mabye you should try starting a "new" sonar project,....and an duplicate Samplitude project to compare for yourself.

also,....with both programs/projects open, power down your monitor (do it blind) and use TAB to switch between program/playbacks using spacebar in Samp for start/stop and ???? in sonar.

(Just to see if you still feel the same)

Guest charlie

re DAW sound.

No it's not yr. imagination. It's to do with how the mixer engine in the app is implemented and how its coded. Try SAW studio mixer engine. It's coded in assembler with virtually zero latency (mix engine in to mix engine out NOT sound in at PC to sound out at PC). SAW Studio is supposed to be the best Almost like Studer 2" tape at 30 inches per sec. But I tell you this, while the Samplitude engine doesn't have the same efficiency as SAW I reckon the sound is virtually identical - sample point phase accurate! And Samplitude gets my vote any time when it comes to the user interface.

I was also worried about the lack of automation in Samp but now I've rationalized it and it doesn't worry me any more.

1) The most important parameters ARE automated i.e vol + pan.

2) Future versions will undoubtedly add to the automation features SO IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER!

It's not a big deal for me any more.

What is a big deal for me is

a) DAW stability/reliability

;) An intuitive user interface that make it easy to learn and work the app.

c) Sound quality.

In my book Samplitude is the only DAW that score more than 7/10 in each category. Yes others score higher on maybe one of the parameters but not over the three taken as a whole. If you add the cost into the equation then it looks even stronger in favor of Samp. IMHO.

BTW Did you notice the improvement in sound between Sonar 2 and Sonar 3. Somar 3 is a great improvement over 2.

Nuendo is supposed to have outstanding sound quality but the downside is it's coded by Steinbug so I just ruled it out of my selection criteria for that reason along. Rationalise it for a moment. It doesn't matter how many features a DAW has or whether it sounds 100 time better than the nearest competitor. If the DAW is DOWN because of a 'crash' you don't have a DAW. It's that simple.

Guest GTBannah
Everything can be automated....faders, pan, aux sends, mutes, effects parameters...everything. Do you guys think Sam 8 will address these issues? I'm really getting the urge to move over to Samplitude.

TH

The word is, that the flexibility of routing allows us to rout the reverb return to a channell or to a bus, then automate that fader's volime and pan.

A bit round-about but the experts say it works for them.

I can't help repeating myself, but I'm so anxious to switch from SONAR. I just have to convince the accountant .... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thejimfactor

Hello, I'm particularly interested in your comparison of monitoring latency with Samplitude effects, vs. your experience with Sonar. I have a 2.5 Ghz P4 machine with 768 MB. What kind of latency should I expect if I get samplitude, and can I make adjustments on latency like in Sonar

Guest epytryga

latency is adjustable...just like SONAR...you can access the ASIO contol panel in a very similar way to SONAR...and increase or decrease it from there...

Hope that helps..

Kind Regards

Eric

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David D

Just wanted to add my 2 cents! I have just switched to SAW 6.02 Studio from Sonar....I will never go

back. There is a very noticable difference in sound quality!

;) Happy Camper!

Guest GTBannah
Hello, I'm particularly interested in your comparison of monitoring latency with Samplitude effects, vs. your experience with Sonar. I have a 2.5 Ghz P4 machine with 768 MB. What kind of latency should I expect if I get samplitude, and can I make adjustments on latency like in Sonar

Sorry I took soooo long to reply Jim,

Your latency would be miles better than mine. I'm running a P3 933 with 512.

In SONAR I can get 23 tracks with Waves Audio tracks on 16 of them, and three TrueVerbs and tow (Waves) Supertaps on the busses.

Your 2.5 will swamp that .... ;)

Buy Samp/Seq when you're ready ....

David D.,

Do you mean Samp 6.02?